Under 13's Beauty Salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who doesn't live far from Brentwood it's not as classy as people will make you believe. A very nice area yes, great high street etc but the TOWIE show just brings tourists from all over the UK there now obviously. Also some lovely houses in the outskirts (I can dream lol).

One thing I would say is there are some 13-14 year old's that definitely do not act that age. There are 14 year olds that have kids. Now I am 100% not tarnishing them all with the same brush but isn't it just a sad fact that kids nowadays can no longer just be kids? They seem to grow up to quick for there own good.

I mean it's not really much different to some very older looking 15/16 year olds getting in to nightclubs.

Just my 2p worth.

As someone who doesn't live far from Brentwood it's not as classy as people will make you believe. A very nice area yes, great high street etc but the TOWIE show just brings tourists from all over the UK there now obviously. Also some lovely houses in the outskirts (I can dream lol).

One thing I would say is there are some 13-14 year old's that definitely do not act that age. There are 14 year olds that have kids. Now I am 100% not tarnishing them all with the same brush but isn't it just a sad fact that kids nowadays can no longer just be kids? They seem to grow up to quick for there own good.

I mean it's not really much different to some very older looking 15/16 year olds getting in to nightclubs.

Just my 2p worth.

I don't think it's just that area, it's today's generation ...
I work in a college with girls aged 13-19 ... And believe me these 13yr old girls now how to apply make up, lashes, have some have nails ext done regularly and are way more advanced than I was at that age ... (I'm 41) .. !!! ...
Some girls of 14/15 yr olds could pass off being 18-19 ... !!!

At the end of the day their parents take them to the salon for these treatments and pay ... Believe me iv had many an irate mom on the phone when iv told pupils that they've got to take their nail ext off ... !!! .. (Even tho their parents have signed at the beginning of the course with the requirements of the qualification) .... Lol ... X
And dance trops have been tanning for years .... !!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

We are just becoming like the American's. The lengths they go to to see their children competing in the beauty pageants is quite eye opening. At four years old they are spray tanned, acrylic nails, coloured hair, four inch heels etc etc the parents don't bat an eyelid. We will be the same here before long.

Just the same as the no win no fee solicitors that are on every corner! Terrible.

We are just becoming like the American's. The lengths they go to to see their children competing in the beauty pageants is quite eye opening. At four years old they are spray tanned, acrylic nails, coloured hair, four inch heels etc etc the parents don't bat an eyelid. We will be the same here before long.

Just the same as the no win no fee solicitors that are on every corner! Terrible.

Generalising is always dangerous. I am an American and have many many friends there and guess what? Not one of them has a child like the ones you describe as American! All of them would deplore it. A very small minority, in fact, go in for this stuff. Do not tar all with the same brush.

Last edited:
No I'm sure you are correct. ..it was purely an observation, the TV programs that show these parents and their children (and I do realise that the programs have to be interesting to viewers) are from the American beauty pageants. It wasn't personal towards you or your friends... do you mean a stigmatisation rather than a generalisation. . As let's face Geeg America's people are stigmatised with all sorts of things. And the most bizarre topics and TV programs are generally from America..I have been and witnessed some of this for myself. I'm not saying American people are horrible people. ..I have also been to Kazakhstan. .now there's a different story to tell there! :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I've been painting all my children's nails since they were teeny, even my lad always wanted red fingers and toes as a toddler.
I paint my granddaughters fingers and toes too, the first thing they do when they come to my beauty room is climb into the chair and put their hands on the table and say "hands Nana"

I've put (natural looking, short length) extensions on one of my daughters since she was 13, and when competing from the age of 8 she had been fully made up with full face, tans, glitter, lashes etc.
She is 16 now and this has in no way made her beauty needy, she does like her varnish and will wear it to school despite knowing if she gets caught she has to remove it, so she hides her hands in her sleeves.

My 5yro loves a massage and I find this REALLY beneficial to her, it calms her down, helps her relax, eases her bowel issues and generally makes her a happier girly. I know my friends think I shouldn't be allowing her to have massages as they think she is too young but I can see the benefits from this, health/emotional/mental etc
She also loves her nails done but has her own kit and prefers to do her own on a Friday after school.

I started this post with a meaning but kinda lost it along the way, I think all kids love the notion of looking pretty, looking and doing what parents do etc that is life.
Kids learn by example
I don't think its unhealthy to let kids have their own space (beit a dedicated salon or pamper party) and time to do it.

Are folk who think this is wrong also thinking boys with pushchairs and babies are wrong?
Are we sexualising because they want to play babies??
No of course we aren't!!
I worked in a preschool for years and found boys just like girls play with babies, its what they see their parents doing with their siblings, their families and with themselves. You would quite often hear quote from a parent coming from that playing child aimed towards their dolly baby that had obv been said to them.. Often hilarious ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just for info really, this thread was started in 2011 and it has already been mentioned that this particular establishment has since closed.

I think that resisting letting kids explore makeup and hair will cause them to want to go crazy at it later.

I say teach them that its ok to be girly and get done up in moderation.

Just like having sex talks with your children is important rather than sweeping it under the rug and acting like sex is shameful, I think letting children explore health and beauty is ..well.. healthy.

No I'm sure you are correct. ..it was purely an observation, the TV programs that show these parents and their children (and I do realise that the programs have to be interesting to viewers) are from the American beauty pageants. It wasn't personal towards you or your friends... do you mean a stigmatisation rather than a generalisation. . As let's face Geeg America's people are stigmatised with all sorts of things. And the most bizarre topics and TV programs are generally from America..I have been and witnessed some of this for myself. I'm not saying American people are horrible people. ..I have also been to Kazakhstan. .now there's a different story to tell there! :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I did not take your comment personally in the slightest.

Just saying that those those children do not represent typical American children any more that those awful scenes of 'hoarding' represent American families!

Sensationalism always 'sells' and attracts viewers but it's not reality nor is it the start of some diabolical trend that is going to take over the world.

If it had been said "have you seen the latest garbage tv show from the States"? that would have sat better with me than the general comment about Americans.
Thanks for listening .. I'm not upset, I didn't take it personally just stated that one should be careful when generalising because very little is general. XX

Latest posts

Back