Under 13's Beauty Salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I am aware the businesss also organises parties, and limo trips etc for young uns.

Whether you agree or disagree with the aim of the business, you gotta admire the amount of FREE publicity it has gained - how much is to advertise on itv usually, let alone being discussed on the bbc, so in this respect i say well done you!

Ok I am a mother of 3 girls and have been doing "treatments" on my girls for years and I have to say they now have the awareness of healthy skin and nails and look after themselves so much better than their friends.

I think this is a great idea and will educate many girls on the rights and wrongs of many treatments and also maybe give give them a bit of passion for our industry creating some new therapists.

I do feel though that 16 months is a bit early :eek:

I think it sends a message to your child that they only look beautiful because they have make-up on and at 2,3 n 4 i think thats a real shame!iv got a little boy n got 3 nieces all under 4 and the thought of a weekly trip to a salon is not something either me or my sister would even think about!...a pamper party at 10 maybe xx

Sent from my X10i

See when I was 12 I LOVED trying out makeup and would have loved something like this. So really, as long as the Mums aren't forcing the kids to get treatments, what's the harm? I haven't turned out adversely affected by my makeup experimentations! As long as it's what the girls want then I don't see the harm.

I think there are several issues:
  • If a child/infant is too young to have an informed opinion on a non-essential treatment then I believe it's wrong. For example a hair cut would be a mother's decision in that it becomes necessary from the age when hair needs styling, but ear- piercing is not an essential. So, a toddler may need a hair-cut but not earrings.
  • There MAY be health implications to applying spray tans, varnishes, make-up etc to children who are still developing their immunity systems.
  • Girls may develop the idea that their looks are more important than their personalities, academic achievements, sporting or artistic talents. From this they may go on to see themselves as achieving social status through their male partners rather than their own work.
  • Although it's healthy for children to develop their sexuality it should be at their own pace and not through the world of adults.
OK. I may sound like an old kill-joy. I'm actually not against child-led dressing up, make-up experiments, playing with hair-styles etc.
I do REALLY question, however, the idea that adult salon beauty treatments should become a routine part of a child's life. And I REALLY, REALLY question the idea that it's just seizing a piece of lucrative business and therefore OK.
Just my opinion.

• If a child/infant is too young to have an informed opinion on a non-essential treatment then I believe it's wrong. For example a hair cut would be a mother's decision in that it becomes necessary from the age when hair needs styling, but ear- piercing is not an essential. So, a toddler may need a hair-cut but not earrings.
  • There MAY be health implications to applying spray tans, varnishes, make-up etc to children who are still developing their immunity systems.
  • Girls may develop the idea that their looks are more important than their personalities, academic achievements, sporting or artistic talents. From this they may go on to see themselves as achieving social status through their male partners rather than their own work.
  • Although it's healthy for children to develop their sexuality it should be at their own pace and not through the world of adults.
OK. I may sound like an old kill-joy. I'm actually not against child-led dressing up, make-up experiments, playing with hair-styles etc.
I do REALLY question, however, the idea that adult salon beauty treatments should become a routine part of a child's life. And I REALLY, REALLY question the idea that it's just seizing a piece of lucrative business and therefore OK.
Just my opinion.

I have avoided commenting on this thread that I started as I can hear my parents when I pass opinions on such things! Life moves on and things change. However, I am very aware that, the older one gets, the more one sees a bigger picture.

This post has rung several bells for me. The main one is that: "Girls may develop the idea that their looks are more important than their personalities, academic achievements, sporting or artistic talents"

I don't think that the focus and attention of the 'sexualisation of children' is overplayed or wrong. Children do need to enjoy the time that they are just children as they are adults for far longer and simplicity in their lives during this time allows for individual development which is essential to my mind. The drive to look prettier and have more 'things' than their friends will arrive all too quickly later in their teens.

This business is taking advantage of a focus on 'children's rights' where people dare not question the 'PC' aspects. Experimentation with cosmetics and 'girlie' fun time is part of growing up; play dates, sleep overs, princess parties etc where Mums are involved.

Is it a commercial venture that takes advantage of those little girls demands and mums that can't wait for the revisit to the teenage fun?

I have just been asked to do acrylic extensions on two 12 year old girls and I've said no.

I think this is just too much for young girls to have. Its for a wedding but even so, can you imagine if they caught their nails whilst playing, I just wouldnt feel comfortable applying this system.

I don't see any problem. Like said, many beauty therapists do children's party's.
it's not like there is intimate waxing going on.

Think of another scenario, your little girl goes into your bedroom, sees your makeup kits and decides its play time, she applies nail polish to her lips and eyes (she's seen you use a brush on your lids and lips so what'sthe difference), she gets nail polish in her eye... Blind!

Mummy uses a lotion on her face... Terps bottle.
Moisturiser... Hair remover cream.

At least in a salon they can't get at the products unless there. Also the staff would have had to do education in younger clients and use product suited best to them. It would be a great place for birthdays and is actually educational. In the future these girls won't want to pile on orange foundation to the jaw line and leave the rest of their neck and look like hookers.

Xoxo

there have been child only salons in my area for years. they are called VIPs and it's a chain across ontario. They only offer treatment to children 13 and under.

They do all sorts of parties and also regular hair cuts, mani, & pedi.

I personally think it's a great idea. They get to feel special and pretty for the couple of hours they're there...when not all little girls feel this way about themselves. It's done in an environment specially made for children, so it takes out the sexuality of it completely. They're not doing full extentions, full face make-up, and nail extentions. It's child specific services. Soak your feet, trim nails, lotion, polish, and nail art. Or a bit of glittery eyeshadow and lip gloss. they get to act like children but with being able to be like mom at the same time. Lots of salons are offering children's services now like hair cuts, mani & pedi...but I would be happier to take my daughter to a child only salon where I know things are tailored to them and not to adults.

JMO.

Id love to know who their insurance is with...

Id love to know who their insurance is with...

Why should insurance be an issue? We are not performing dangerous treatments. Babies have their ears pierced which is far more potentially risky. Painting nails and adding glitter etc is not in the slightest bit dangerous and it is all done with parental consent.

In a nutshell I think these types of salons are wrong. They promote an unhealthy body image in young girls. We should be teaching young girls that they dont need a full face of make-up to look beautiful, and they dont need hair extensions and beauty treatments to be the norm. There is so much pressure on young girls to look a certain way that all we are doing is breeding a generation of girls with low self esteem as they feel as though they are not meeting the standards required of them (I have a 16 year old daughter and she has quite a lot of friends whose self image is so messed up, and those girls are without exception the ones who are obsessed with hair and beauty treatments).

Instead of conditioning young girls to expect beauty treatments why dont we spend more time teaching them that it's no big deal if they choose not to wear make-up, they can still be beautiful without it, and that its perfectly fine and healthy to be a size 12. Girls will find their own way into beauty treatments in their own time and without any help from us guiding them in that direction, so it's our job to promote a positive self image and reinforce the principle that beauty treatments are a luxury, not a necessity.

Lastly, bear in mind that the salon in question in this thread is aimed at under 13's. It's bad enough that we put pressure on our teenagers to conform to pressure to look a certain way, but to do it to our pre teens? In some cases toddlers? No wonder so many girls are growing up with self esteem issues.

In a nutshell I think these types of salons are wrong. They promote an unhealthy body image in young girls. We should be teaching young girls that they dont need a full face of make-up to look beautiful, and they dont need hair extensions and beauty treatments to be the norm. There is so much pressure on young girls to look a certain way that all we are doing is breeding a generation of girls with low self esteem as they feel as though they are not meeting the standards required of them (I have a 16 year old daughter and she has quite a lot of friends whose self image is so messed up, and those girls are without exception the ones who are obsessed with hair and beauty treatments).

Instead of conditioning young girls to expect beauty treatments why dont we spend more time teaching them that it's no big deal if they choose not to wear make-up, they can still be beautiful without it, and that its perfectly fine and healthy to be a size 12. Girls will find their own way into beauty treatments in their own time and without any help from us guiding them in that direction, so it's our job to promote a positive self image and reinforce the principle that beauty treatments are a luxury, not a necessity.

Lastly, bear in mind that the salon in question in this thread is aimed at under 13's. It's bad enough that we put pressure on our teenagers to conform to pressure to look a certain way, but to do it to our pre teens? In some cases toddlers? No wonder so many girls are growing up with self esteem issues.

I disagree with some of this, I was brought up to believe I was perfect in every way... Until I realised, no it's not ok to be this fat, aged 12 and wearing a 32 waist? I then went on a diet for 2 years, I ate twice a day only small meals, I can still fit into my clothes I wore at 12 11 years later. Many see it as u healthy to have size 10 models etc... But I sure wish someone had been showing me things like that before I hit high school and was bullied for being huge.
Not all idealised media is wrong. Xoxo

I don't think these salons are wrong.

Whether these things are a bad influence on a child in any way is as always a question of balance.

IF salons are used for parties and fun, there is no harm in it at all. If parents go overboard and book weekly treatments then that can have an impact on all the issues mentioned above. It's a question of good sense and keeping things in proportion ... Moderation.

It is not for any individual to dictate to or to force their own opinions onto other parents about the decisions they are making for their children on a superficial issue like beauty treatments. IMHO

Last edited:
Quick question: it has been a fair while since this thread was started, does anybody know if the salon is still up and running??

I don't think these salons are wrong.

Whether these things are a bad influence on a child in any way is as always a question of balance.

IF salons are used for parties and fun, there is no harm in it at all. If parents go overboard and book weekly treatments then that can have an impact on all the issues mentioned above. It's a question of good sense and keeping things in proportion ... Moderation.

It is not for any individual to dictate to or to force their own opinions onto other parents about the decisions they are making for their children on a superficial issue like beauty treatments. IMHO

You hit the nail on the head here Geeg.
If used as a treat here and there with friends I don't see a problem, but if brought in to a young girls weekly routine then I do see a problem.
I would of loved this when I was younger for a special treat but if my mum was taking me once a week for a facial, tinting polished nails I think I'd grow up thinking this was normal and without it I would probley not felt very confident.
Like a few have said unfortunately times are changing, for better or worse is debatable but there was a gap in the market and someone has took it.
X

i do remember before biology however much me and my friend tried to hide our painted nails our teacher always had us at the back of the class shamefully removing our polish! :lol:

Shame on that teacher for doing that! just proves how petty schools can be

I think this is a lovely idea as girls love to be pampered and wanting to be like mummy does not suddenly start at 16 when most salons actually let you in!

I encourage pamper party's and girly nails/makeup for all ages as it is a bonding experience for both mum and daugther to be able to do this together!

Why is it that when you reach 15/16 you suddenly become eligable to have your nails done etc. its not like they can harm you before this age.

Thing is all little girls like being pampered and made pretty its only us as adults who turn it into something sinister and ugly ;)

I forgot about this place... the shop shut quite some time ago- it didnt last long.

Just my opinion.

Agreed

Surrey Girl through and through x

Latest posts

Back