Under active thyroid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooh8bear

Reaction score
My client has been loosing hair for a month or so, went to the Dr & he THINKS it's an under active thyroid.
She is having a big birthday party & although I have suggested cutting hair shorter she is wanting high lights.

What are everyones thoughts on this?
dodgy or not?

could you start her using a hair thinning product ? like nioxin ? it really does work for both men and women , even after a couple of uses ya can see the difference , i personally would do that first then once shes got her meds sorted etc.. then do the color ,
if she wants to look a bit different for the party , what about putting a few blonde extensions in ? just the micro ring ones ? it might pep her up with out interfering wih her hair too much and you can easily remove them x

I've got an underactive thyroid and have never been told anything about not having it coloured. You lose loads of hair but that will settle down when she starts taking thyroxin. She may have to have the dose increased several times but starting the thyroxin will help.

The Dr isn't going to put her on meds for 6 months, in the mean time he is going to do more tests & checks.
She is such a lovely person I really feel for her.

I wondered if I did highlights using the cap method then nothing is going to irritate or touch the skin.

I've got an underactive thyroid and have never been told anything about not having it coloured. You lose loads of hair but that will settle down when she starts taking thyroxin. She may have to have the dose increased several times but starting the thyroxin will help.

Thanks for the quick response.

Can you recommend anything in the mean time as this is something you have been through?
6 months before she even starts medication! seems cruel

could you start her using a hair thinning product ? like nioxin ? it really does work for both men and women , even after a couple of uses ya can see the difference , i personally would do that first then once shes got her meds sorted etc.. then do the color ,
if she wants to look a bit different for the party , what about putting a few blonde extensions in ? just the micro ring ones ? it might pep her up with out interfering wih her hair too much and you can easily remove them x

Thank you for the quick response.

Nioxin? where would I get this & what is it. Would Salon Services sell it?

I have an under active thyroid never effected me with colours but i do find my hair is very thin and it doesn't take much to damage it i have been having the keratin treatment on mine made a massive difference mainly i think cos i don't have to on anything with it so on straightening etc which has greatly improved the condition of my hair.

I keep my hair chin length as it just looks better with being so fine any longer and it just looks pathetic

hth

Deb x

Part of the problem with a thyroid issue is that doctors tend to be a bit hesitant about giving a prescription for it. She needs to get a second opinion because if her thyroid reading is low, she needs a medication.

It's something I feel quite passionately about. I had tests for 12 years, and each time a different doctor said, "Oh, it's dropped a bit, but that's nothing to worry about". Dropping a bit isn't anything to worry about, but none of these doctors looked right back to the beginning to see that my thyroid reading had dropped continuously since the time they started testing me. By the time they did this, my reading was off the scale.

Is there another doctor in the practice she could go and see?

In the mean time, her hair will be very dry and coarse. She needs to use a really good quality moisturing shampoo and conditioner, and use a moisture treatment mask quite often. This will really help. Her skin and nails will also be dry and flaking so she could use a good quality cleaners and moisturiser and cuticle oil regularly to help with that.

There is nothing she can do to stop the hair loss (that I'm aware of), and colouring it shouldn't be a problem unless she goes overboard. In fact, you end up feeling so low - thyroid problems are often mistaken as a depresssion - that having her hair coloured and sorted out might make her feel a bit better.

The only other thing is that a shorter cut and learning how to do a proper blow dry to give her some volume might help?

Thank you for the quick response.

Nioxin? where would I get this & what is it. Would Salon Services sell it?

hi they will sell something similar to it at salon services i would think , over here its nioxin or alphpraf both are good x

Poor lady. I remember my mum having this. She was like it for years and had no hair in front of her ears and none below the occipatal bone (spelling?). She was under-active for years and she would fall asleep all the time. Very down and lethargic and very overweight. I am ashamed to admit I just thought she was letting herself go and being a bit lazy (aka depression I guess). But, like many daughters, I wasn't very observant and not very sympathetic to her plight until a nurse friend of mine told me what was wrong with her and how easily it was treated. Well once she got on the thyroxin she was a different woman. But back to the hair, I used to perm it no problem throughout - it just got a lot quicker to wind!!!

Her hair was grown back within 6 months. In lovely condition too. She died when she was just 60 (not thryoid related) but she didn't have a grey hair in her head.

But what I think is sad is what SJK has said. If the doc does the test it usually shows pretty clearly straight away if the thryoid is malfunctioning and if the hair is falling out that is very indicative of it not being slight or border line but definite. I would echo that it is worth seeking a second opinion if the doc doesn't make up his mind.

But I would say that you can do pretty much anything you have previously to her hair, within reason obviously, with no long term ill effects. You just have to be a bit careful with how you cut with the lack of hair at the bottom etc.

Hope she gets it sorted soon.

Part of the problem with a thyroid issue is that doctors tend to be a bit hesitant about giving a prescription for it. She needs to get a second opinion because if her thyroid reading is low, she needs a medication.

It's something I feel quite passionately about. I had tests for 12 years, and each time a different doctor said, "Oh, it's dropped a bit, but that's nothing to worry about". Dropping a bit isn't anything to worry about, but none of these doctors looked right back to the beginning to see that my thyroid reading had dropped continuously since the time they started testing me. By the time they did this, my reading was off the scale.

Is there another doctor in the practice she could go and see?

In the mean time, her hair will be very dry and coarse. She needs to use a really good quality moisturing shampoo and conditioner, and use a moisture treatment mask quite often. This will really help. Her skin and nails will also be dry and flaking so she could use a good quality cleaners and moisturiser and cuticle oil regularly to help with that.

There is nothing she can do to stop the hair loss (that I'm aware of), and colouring it shouldn't be a problem unless she goes overboard. In fact, you end up feeling so low - thyroid problems are often mistaken as a depresssion - that having her hair coloured and sorted out might make her feel a bit better.

The only other thing is that a shorter cut and learning how to do a proper blow dry to give her some volume might help?

i mirror this opinion i have graves disease which is over active thyroid with complications irregular heart beat etc..and over produce oils etc. terrible lifting with nail enhancements and oily skin and hair...a hair colour would make her feel so much better as would regular conditioning treatments as under active means dryness, dry scalp etc, and blunt cutting and layers to give the appearance of fullness of hair .
as for the medication issue..she should be on something as the thyroid affects the whole endocrine/hormonal system...hormones of every kind ...but that i suppose is for your client to get a second opinion from an endocrinologist not a medical consultant

Yes Nioxin is amazing, seen great resutlts when used correctly with the treatment as well.
There is a lot of in depth science behind it, I was impressed... Thought it was gimicky when I first saw it but really not!

xox

Latest posts

Back