unhygienic cuticle oil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely if everything is sanitised using professional products and there are no contra-indications (there would be no treatment performed if we found any) then the amount of bacteria that was on the brush in a bottle of oil is negligable, if at all?
We are surrounded by bacteria some is good some is bad. It is in the air.
I would not use a bottle of oil with a brush on a client with any kind of cut etc, I would take extra precautions, but otherwise I would.
Ridding ourselves of bacteria is a hopeless endeavor. Bacteria outnumber human cells in your body 10 to 1.
Human skin contains many species of harmless bacteria. Their presence prevents harmful bacteria, what we commonly call germs, from gaining a foothold on your skin.

thanks Gigi for a very informational post.

next question going back to the orginal question of this thread.
Using a brush with the oil is a hygenic concern.
There is another thread on here about using a gel brush and cleansing it properly or not cleaning it in that case because it ruins the brush bristles

What about using gel brush over and over without properly sanitizing it between clients?
Yes we do sanitize the nails when doing gel nails but don't we sanitize the nails before applying the cuticle oil also? I do.

My question is~ Whats the difference?

Really not much at all.

Bacteria cannot thrive in monomer or gel so no worries there and it is not so much bacteria, as PATHOGENS (disease causing bacteria) that we try to protect the client from (which is what Judy 1999 I think is saying). Bacteria are everywhere and if all reasonable precautions are taken then there are no problems. Just take the usual measures of sanitising well before treatments etc and there are no concerns.

not mine came with and eye dropper

not mine came with and eye dropper

Nafia
You are so cool you made me lol :lol:when you said (eye dropper)
then I realized what you meant
but they really do look like eye droppers don't they?
I had this mental image of putting solar oil drops in clients :eek:eyes:lol:
Someone did mention the real name of these droppers,
but Ive forgotten it now too,
mmmmmm Oh well its Saturday night had a nice glass of wine
Cheers Nafia and all geeks out there:hug:

I prefer using the dropper,when i sell my clients cuticle oil their bottles have the brush.

IMO the easiest way is to buy the proffesional size for your desk which comes with a dropper.
What happens when your client forgets their oil?

erm I do have the huge bottle on my table sweets.. I also retail first, and said that my pedantic customers like to bring their own bottles in... 7/10 times no one has a prob with the large bottle (dropper) being used... but u do get some who are germ freaks so the option is avalible for them to buy a pinky first or bring in their own.. other wise yes darl I use my big bottle ;)

Really not much at all.

Bacteria cannot thrive in monomer or gel so no worries there and it is not so much bacteria, as PATHOGENS (disease causing bacteria) that we try to protect the client from (which is what Judy 1999 I think is saying). Bacteria are everywhere and if all reasonable precautions are taken then there are no problems. Just take the usual measures of sanitising well before treatments etc and there are no concerns.

Thanks Geeg/ You the bomb.

I just wanted to clarify that there are those that have very strong opinions about how anyone would think about using a cuticle oil brush on clients but they feel it is okay to use a gel brush on all clients without sanitizing it in between..
What's the difference???????
Maybe we need to reconstruct our thinking and opinions :|

Hi JDs

I'm probably being disease o phobic here ,

but just say a client had a tiny cut and a drop of blood went on the brush without us noticing,
then that drop of blood got transfered to the next client by that brush to a tiny cut that went unnoticed .
If there was any disease in the blood couldn't this be passed on from the brush?
more so with the brush than a dropper?

Then we massage it in too:eek:

Thanks Geeg/ You the bomb.

I just wanted to clarify that there are those that have very strong opinions about how anyone would think about using a cuticle oil brush on clients but they feel it is okay to use a gel brush on all clients without sanitizing it in between..
What's the difference???????
Maybe we need to reconstruct our thinking and opinions :|

How often do you touch the skin with your enhancement brush??? Our brushes are in the product not on the skin. Also the product itself acts like a sanitiser as any bacteria present would not live in monomer or gel.

A cuticle brush is brushing directly onto the skin. There is a big difference.

Hi JDs

I'm probably being disease o phobic here ,

but just say a client had a tiny cut and a drop of blood went on the brush without us noticing,
then that drop of blood got transfered to the next client by that brush to a tiny cut that went unnoticed .
If there was any disease in the blood couldn't this be passed on from the brush?
more so with the brush than a dropper?

Then we massage it in too:eek:

You are being disease o phobic and if a client has an open wound around the nail we are taught on day one that this is a contraindication to treatment and you would not work on that nail.

It is all about working professionally ... how often does it have to be said? A professional would not work on a person with an open cut/wound near the nail. If we are professionals then you shouldn't have to worry about a situation like the one you describe.

How often do you touch the skin with your enhancement brush??? Our brushes are in the product not on the skin. Also the product itself acts like a sanitizer as any bacteria present would not live in monomer or gel.

A cuticle brush is brushing directly onto the skin. There is a big difference.

I guess I do it completely different from others ,but my cuticle oil brush does not touch the cuticle. I apply it to the nailplate just below the cuticle then massage it up into the cuticle. This was how I was taught , maybe it was because of cross contamination:rolleyes:. Can't remember that long ago.

But enough said. We are all different and will do the same thing differently and get the same results.

Cheers

I guess I do it completely different from others ,but my cuticle oil brush does not touch the cuticle. I apply it to the nailplate just below the cuticle then massage it up into the cuticle. This was how I was taught , maybe it was because of cross contamination:rolleyes:. Can't remember that long ago.

But enough said. We are all different and will do the same thing differently and get the same results.

Cheers

Sorry if I misled you.

I was meaning the client uses the brush directly on the skin. Me ... I always use a dropper even though I know the chances of ever having a problem are practiacally non-existent even if I had to use a brush.

If I did only have a brush I would load it up and drop a bead of oil onto the plate and then massage as you say. There really is no need for the brush to ever touch the skin even when you don't have a dropper.

You are being disease o phobic and if a client has an open wound around the nail we are taught on day one that this is a contraindication to treatment and you would not work on that nail.

It is all about working professionally ... how often does it have to be said? A professional would not work on a person with an open cut/wound near the nail. If we are professionals then you shouldn't have to worry about a situation like the one you describe.

Hi geeg
I fully understand all the mani and pedi contraindications and I'm sure any responsible nail Tech would never work on an open wound or cut

What I said was a tiny unnoticed cut

If I come across as disease o phobic then I shall class this as a matter of opinion

But in my own opinion Id much rather be safe than sorry.

Some people on this thread have kindly told me in their answers
that;
"there is a dropper on the large Solar oil they use for clients
(and a brush on the small one sold for personal use")

I for one am happy with this.
Problem solved :hug:

Thank you Geeg and to all who kindly shared their info:)

erm I do have the huge bottle on my table sweets.. I also retail first, and said that my pedantic customers like to bring their own bottles in... 7/10 times no one has a prob with the large bottle (dropper) being used... but u do get some who are germ freaks so the option is avalible for them to buy a pinky first or bring in their own.. other wise yes darl I use my big bottle ;)
Thank you for clarifying that you do know of the pro size..could only guess from your first post, and advising clients to bring in their own bottles that you didnt.:confused:

From your post above (ie the pet names) i feel i may have offended you just by offering some common sense advice..I guess it all comes down to say what you mean and mean what you say, then there is no confusion.

enough already, what next ? "oxygen tents" ?

I have to be especially careful ..... being a male technician, i'm always concerned about my clients getting pregnant from me ...... . I wear gloves when I go to the bathroom and after sanitising the client, i insist they wear a diaphragm (and sanitise again of course), perhaps instead of business cards, i may resort to monogrammed diaphragms ..... (hey that rhymes):)

Cuticle oil is the least of my problems.

If you think my post is over the top ...... beware, perhaps you are sane ....

:):):):)

Thanks Carl, for the giggles first thing in the morning.

:green:

Thank you Carl for the levity as I do think this thread has gone beyond what is reasonable!! :lol: We can always count on you can't we, luv!!!

I have to be especially careful ..... being a male technician, i'm always concerned about my clients getting pregnant from me ...... . I wear gloves when I go to the bathroom and after sanitising the client, i insist they wear a diaphragm (and sanitise again of course), perhaps instead of business cards, i may resort to monogrammed diaphragms ..... (hey that rhymes):)

Phew! Some insanity to make us sane. :lol:

I think in this day and age we are obsessed with sanitation, not just in the salon but everywhere! TBH I would say your client is more likely to come across something nasty when they have to enter their PIN number into a salon´s credit card machine, that probably never gets a wipe over, than they are ever likely to get sat at your desk and having a nail service with the hygiene controls we are taught. :green:

Phew! Some insanity to make us sane. :lol:

I think in this day and age we are obsessed with sanitation, not just in the salon but everywhere! TBH I would say your client is more likely to come across something nasty when they have to enter their PIN number into a salon´s credit card machine, that probably never gets a wipe over, than they are ever likely to get sat at your desk and having a nail service with the hygiene controls we are taught. :green:

exactly, I can vouch that my nail table and proticol is a lot cleaner than most ppls kitchen surfaces! lol and I am by no means a germ freak, germs are good in limited quantitys, thats how u build an immune system :)

I dont think thats over the top..great thinking!
icon_wink.gif

Latest posts

Back