unhygienic cuticle oil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said we should be using a small spatula to get product out but using only one per use, in other words, do not re use the spatula.
I do that with all my products that come in jars, just a cheapo wooden spatula that I use for waxing, & throw it out after using.

if the oil did go cloudy, i'd imagine it would be from picking up small amounts of dust from the surface of the nail .........

I had one bottle years and years ago that went cloudy and the smell was ..welll...not the most pleasant to say the least. I never used that oil again. Never did figure out what they put in there that would "spoil"?

if the oil did go cloudy, i'd imagine it would be from picking up small amounts of dust from the surface of the nail .........
you cant be sure that it would only contain dust unless it was tested..my bet it would also contain some debris and level of bacteria also...ready to transfer to the next client.

Thorough handwashing by the client..15-20 seconds, using a clean scrubbing brush under the nails...same time again for rinsing..using a fresh towel for drying will keep the bacteria down before service..couple that with a hand sanitiser...but unless this is always being performed before each and every service properly you cant possibly have clean oil..and even then you cant be sure?

Just hand sanitiser (unless you are packing it under the nails) wont get rid of any nasties that lurk under neath the nail.

During the pre shape and blending away any lifting will spread bacteria about..so i guess even a thorough handwashing wont reach anything under lifted product prior to service..which will be cleaned with scrubfresh but you have dusted first..which will leave a amount of possible bacteria in your dusting brush.

Who knows what clients nails have come into contact prior to their appointment..nose picking, making rissoles:lol: scratching their bum?:eek:
I dont know why, when given a choice would any one use a brush over a dropper (unless you like to drizzle your oil). Do you think i could possibly have a OCD?:lol:

Great topic. I have to admit when I went and had my nail appointments and they used a brush for the oil I always wondered who else had been in contact with that brush but then I am a bit phobic like that. I remember sitting waiting for my appointment and seeing the lady before me continually scratching her face and nose and getting twitchy when the tech then oiled her nails with the same bottle and brush she went on to use on me. Just from a personal point of view and perception, I always liked when the tech had a bottle with a dropper. The oil I buy in Norway comes with a dropper, its ToneLise's own brand, I didn't like the EZFlow oil personally but it had a brush so I have an unopened bottle of it still.

Easyest way past this is to sell them a pinky of solar oil before treatment starts, use that bottle during their treatement and send them home with it. Some of my ladies bring in their big bottles that I have sold them when they have their nails done... otherwise I just sell them another pinkie if they are worried. .. a New Client also gets a gift pack (which is built into the price of their first set) which contains a pinkie S/O and a buffer.. gets them hooked on the oil without any work on my behalf.

Great topic. I have to admit when I went and had my nail appointments and they used a brush for the oil I always wondered who else had been in contact with that brush but then I am a bit phobic like that. I remember sitting waiting for my appointment and seeing the lady before me continually scratching her face and nose and getting twitchy when the tech then oiled her nails with the same bottle and brush she went on to use on me. Just from a personal point of view and perception, I always liked when the tech had a bottle with a dropper. The oil I buy in Norway comes with a dropper, its ToneLise's own brand, I didn't like the EZFlow oil personally but it had a brush so I have an unopened bottle of it still.
Thanks Min for your view from a clients perspective..I dont think you are phobic!:lol:

Imagine giving your client a choice between a bottle/brush with floaters in it..or a clean bottle of oil with a dropper..which would most choose?

Easyest way past this is to sell them a pinky of solar oil before treatment starts, use that bottle during their treatement and send them home with it. Some of my ladies bring in their big bottles that I have sold them when they have their nails done... otherwise I just sell them another pinkie if they are worried. .. a New Client also gets a gift pack (which is built into the price of their first set) which contains a pinkie S/O and a buffer.. gets them hooked on the oil without any work on my behalf.
IMO the easiest way is to buy the proffesional size for your desk which comes with a dropper.
What happens when your client forgets their oil?

you cant be sure that it would only contain dust unless it was tested..my bet it would also contain some debris and level of bacteria also...ready to transfer to the next client.

Thorough handwashing by the client..15-20 seconds, using a clean scrubbing brush under the nails...same time again for rinsing..using a fresh towel for drying will keep the bacteria down before service..couple that with a hand sanitiser...but unless this is always being performed before each and every service properly you cant possibly have clean oil..and even then you cant be sure?

Just hand sanitiser (unless you are packing it under the nails) wont get rid of any nasties that lurk under neath the nail.

During the pre shape and blending away any lifting will spread bacteria about..so i guess even a thorough handwashing wont reach anything under lifted product prior to service..which will be cleaned with scrubfresh but you have dusted first..which will leave a amount of possible bacteria in your dusting brush.

Who knows what clients nails have come into contact prior to their appointment..nose picking, making rissoles:lol: scratching their bum?:eek:
I dont know why, when given a choice would any one use a brush over a dropper (unless you like to drizzle your oil). Do you think i could possibly have a OCD?:lol:

You took the words out of my mouth.................well some of them anyway:rolleyes: Glad to see someone else with my point of veiw. I use a dropper or i swipe my (clean and gloved) thumb with the oil and kiss it together with my other (clean and gloved) thumb and then massage into the clients finger. This way i am the only one to come into contact with the brush always. But mostly i prefer a dropper, as this does not come into contact with anyone............ever!

I only use a dropper, I would squirm in my pants if someone used the same brush on me as they did on someone else. Besides, I always put a drop underneath the nail and you can't do this with a brush!!

I always put a drop underneath the nail and you can't do this with a brush!!

Sure you can put the brush under the nail..why couldn't you?

But once again, I thought I read in another post that because oil does not contain water..it cannot harbor bacterias. Anyone want to expand on this?
Did someone spout off a fact that wasn't true? Does Cuticle oil contain water?

I keep forgetting to look:smack: on the ingredients list when I am at work and the only oil I have at home is the peewee bottle of solar and I cannot read that small of lettering if it does say.

Solar Oil PROFESSIONAL size comes with a dropper applicator. :eek: Of course.

The retail sizes have a brush but the professional sized bottle is for professional use and naturally as you would expect comes with the dropper.

If you are using retail bottles instead of the professional bottle then you do not have the option of the dropper and you are also paying MUCH more for your Solar Oil than if you bought the larger pro size. Check it out!

Geeg, Can you tell me if solar oil contains water?

SolarOil consists solely of 4 natural highest grade light botanical oils.

SolarOil consists solely of 4 natural highest grade light botanical oils.

Thank you! :green:
Now~ can these 4 botanical oil harbor bacteria?

Thats a good question Jayne,like you im waiting to find if id does harbour bacteria...i dont know about the nails i use it everywhere from face,eyes,and the backs of hands.

I only use the retail size as i dont stock it.

OPI has a dropper bottle similar in size to creatives solar oil.

I still think it outshines evrything else though,i even tell clients its the reason to my long strong nails....only thing though i never can sell it so no profits there for me..."boo hoo"...:cry::green:

Solar Oil has got to be the easiest retail item of any to sell in the salon. Once you explain to clients how it nourishes the PRODUCT as well as the skin and prevents breakages and lengthens the life of their enhancements and that they HAVE to use it everyday it flies off the shelves. It DOES work and everything you say about it is true. If you can't sell it, it must be that you do not know enough about the features and benefits of the product.
I will not guarantee my work unless clients use it. Not only that, but one bottle costs about the same as ONE repair so if it saves even one breakage, then they have saved their money. It also lasts AGES so it is very good value.

In the 20 years that I have used Solar Oil, I have never once heard of bacteria being a problem. Using a dropper is a hygienic precaution only and every client deserves that courtesy no matter what. If Solar Oil harboured bacteria that grew and thrived, it would not be the nearly 30 year old hero product of Creative Nail Design and in the hall of fame etc etc. It is the number one selling retail item in 99% of Creative salons.

Now if only i was a creative stockist...........:rolleyes::green:

thanks Gigi for a very informational post.

next question going back to the orginal question of this thread.
Using a brush with the oil is a hygenic concern.
There is another thread on here about using a gel brush and cleansing it properly or not cleaning it in that case because it ruins the brush bristles

What about using gel brush over and over without properly sanitizing it between clients?
Yes we do sanitize the nails when doing gel nails but don't we sanitize the nails before applying the cuticle oil also? I do.

My question is~ Whats the difference?

Latest posts

Back