Uninspired

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedAdmiral

Reaction score
Hey Guys I need your opinions:
I have a new salon that looks great and it has been doing well since we opened. We're in a quieter time and our clients have remained loyal so were still good though we still have large gaps when noone is around. I am in the middle of a promotion and plan to get the salon's name out there by giving great deals to retail staff so they can create word of mouth. The problem isnt my salon the problem is my staff :mad: I employ 2 Polish girls and a pt Irish Girl and they are driving me to dispair - they do great nails but have no intrest in learning anything new - its like they are the total opp to me I just wanna keep fresh and love learning new things to practice when its quiet - right now they are just sat swinging on their chairs.
I told them all excited - "girls after The Event I'm gonna show you how to use poppits" after explaining and showing them a step by step they turned their noses up telling me that a good nail tech doesnt need them and that we only want 'quality' customers in here not someone who only wants a quickie nail! I nearly lost my rag as I've been watching with interest poppits and think it could fit in here nicely. They would not even consider it as something new to learn - I dont understand this attitude! How did I a real nail geek end up with 2 girls with no real passion?

Hi,

I know how you feel as I was in this situation once. What about suggesting something else to try, like 3d l&p designs or something? Maybe ask them if there is something else they would like to learn that you haven't thought of?

I must admit, I have chosen not to go the popits route as I feel that for me, it wouldn't be any good. I pride myself on the nails I sculpt myself. I have used Popits to do a set on myself but personally wouldn't use them in my salon. I'm sure in many salons, Popits have their benefits and I am not saying that they are wrong but not just right for me.

Sam x

Hiya, yes I found this in salons i've worked. All they really cared about was doing a quick set, and as long as the nails looked good, they're happy with not doing the little things or anything extra.

I think this happens quite alot i'm afraid! But I think like SammiG said, ask them what they might want to do, like the 3D etc.

Just begin doing the extras yourself and see how it goes, maybe they will take an interest eventually.

Sorry couldn't offer better advice but good luck!

Sorry do you own this salon? If so state that you will be offering the service and as a result they need to learn it. If I had told any of my past employers I was not going to learn a new system I would of been in deep (add your substance of choice), I can just imagine the conversation, "Sorry Harry I won't learn the new curriculum I've been teaching the old one for 3 years and I'm happy with it, sorry if you want to offer it to students but no" or "Sorry I won't learn how to use XP I'm happy with Windows 95"

Sorry do you own this salon? If so state that you will be offering the service and as a result they need to learn it. If I had told any of my past employers I was not going to learn a new system I would of been in deep (add your substance of choice), I can just imagine the conversation, "Sorry Harry I won't learn the new curriculum I've been teaching the old one for 3 years and I'm happy with it, sorry if you want to offer it to students but no" or "Sorry I won't learn how to use XP I'm happy with Windows 95"

Excellent point and thanks for the smile. I needed that! :)

Can I just add, If your staff are sat round doing nothing anyway then a) why are they there and b) does it matter whether a set of nails takes 45 mins or an hour.

If you have a downturn in business and staff that dont want to do what you want them to then tell them you are making redundancies soon notice they pull there socks up! They may even help get the clients in!

And maybe instead of rushing clients out then give them a free pedi instead to make them feel extra special. Then keep the poppits for those clients in a rush!

I threatend my staff once when they just sat around and they sooned cracked down and brought in the clients its harsh but sometimes therapists dont realise that if the clients arent they neither are there jobs!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Kate x

Hey Guys I need your opinions:
I have a new salon that looks great and it has been doing well since we opened. We're in a quieter time and our clients have remained loyal so were still good though we still have large gaps when noone is around. I am in the middle of a promotion and plan to get the salon's name out there by giving great deals to retail staff so they can create word of mouth. The problem isnt my salon the problem is my staff :mad: I employ 2 Polish girls and a pt Irish Girl and they are driving me to dispair - they do great nails but have no intrest in learning anything new - its like they are the total opp to me I just wanna keep fresh and love learning new things to practice when its quiet - right now they are just sat swinging on their chairs.
Get them OUT of the salon on a Monday and bring them to a training - something specific to your needs as a salon. They will do the nails and you can watch and make sure they are doing a great job! This will inspire them for sure!

I told them all excited - "girls after The Event I'm gonna show you how to use poppits" after explaining and showing them a step by step they turned their noses up telling me that a good nail tech doesnt need them and that we only want 'quality' customers in here not someone who only wants a quickie nail!

Please show them my reply! It sounds like 1) they are the snobs for actually coming out with that; 2) sounds like they are scare of learning something new or being opushed out of their comfort zone; 3) it's certainly NOT up to what they want but as their employee... what YOU want them to do!!

I nearly lost my rag as I've been watching with interest poppits and think it could fit in here nicely. They would not even consider it as something new to learn - I dont understand this attitude! How did I a real nail geek end up with 2 girls with no real passion?

Had you lost your rag, many would have understood. :smack: This attitude is very common in our industry and mainly because the girls are lazy, board, scared they can't cut the mustard. Their snobbish attitude to something that could help immensly during the rush (which is what PopIts are for) shows their total lack of understanding to your salon or their client needs!

Be tough! When Gigi is back I will personally put 2/3 hrs on one side for you and your team at S2 in Leeds. I don't think they'll be quite so blase after that!! And... I bet they are inspired! :!:

youre just too nice hunni! they shouldnt be sat swinging on chairs, get them email customers, texting, delivering flyers etc
you also have to remember 99% of nail techs dont actually care -to them its just a job. you are passionate and thats why you have your own business and will always be better than them! i know its unimspiring when your buzzing on about sometihng and no1 else seems to give a s**t but dont let it bring you down.
ive got a few timesaving tips il show you at the show. plus if i can afford it il try and got to manchester. im just so scared of spending all my pennies case theres a recession!!!

I guess they are paid by the hour??
Not by the work they do?
MOTIVATE them.
Drag them there and if they don't want to learn anything new, what's the point in keeping them on?
Techs are always looking for jobs hun x

I wish I'd had a boss like you when I worked in a salon. I so wanted to learn new things, I tried everything to get my boss interested - not just in nails but in every aspect of her business.

She couldnt stock manage, was useless with clients and just wasnt interested in trying new things. I know money was tight but we could have done loads of stuff to help business.

In the end I got so bored and frustrated I left to start up on my own. I only work for myself now but Im just so in love with my job and the industry in general I cant wait to find out something new.

I think you sound like such a wonderful boss and if they cant see how well off they are then you should ditch them!!

Karaxxx

This seems to be so typical of almost any industry. It is hard to try to motivate people who don' t want to be motivated or who don' t know how to motivate themselves.

When you have a moment in your salon without any customers, gather the trio around you to have a nice chat. Explain your vision for your salon, what you want for your business, for the clients, for the industry, for your girls.
Identify together who your clients are and how you can help them in the best possible way. Explain why you want to add this new service.
If someone shows a snobby attitude, then ask her: "How does holding on to this attitude serve you?" And then close your mouth and wait for an answer, and don' t let anyone else answer instead of the person you asked the question.

Running a salon can be as tricky as running a big organisation, when it comes to leadership. There is no differencies other than that you are the leader, ceo, hr-manager all in one - so it is much tougher.

Remember, you are the leader, you are the owner, you set the standard for your services and your girls need to follow you.
Try to get them involved in the planning and development, ask for ideas and if possible implement their ideas. This is the way that they feel they are part of the salon/business and just not only working there.

I wish you all the power, courage and inspiration you need. And stick to your excitement of being able to add to your services.

Warmly

Annette

Massive thanks to everyone who replied I'm feeling brilliant now - have the war paint on and I'm ready to kick butts! Was feeling sorry for myself on the way to college yest and cried - I cant believe it I cried then I said to myself - I'm off to my job as a TEACHER my students wouldnt dare talk to me this way, I am the salon MANAGER!

There are so many good points that you all have brought up that I def am going to put into practice now - I think the main thing is they think they are sh*t hot yes they can do beautiful nails, 3d coloured glitter tips and nail art that is so enviable but at they are not fully booked. I am working on my side of things and I just have to get them out there no swinging on chairs today!

youre just too nice hunni! they shouldnt be sat swinging on chairs, get them email customers, texting, delivering flyers etc
you also have to remember 99% of nail techs dont actually care -to them its just a job. you are passionate and thats why you have your own business and will always be better than them! i know its unimspiring when your buzzing on about sometihng and no1 else seems to give a s**t but dont let it bring you down.
ive got a few timesaving tips il show you at the show. plus if i can afford it il try and got to manchester. im just so scared of spending all my pennies case theres a recession!!!
I echo this statement you have a general idea of whats on your books in the week ahead so choose a quite period and send them out in the town with leaflet, or you and 1 of them go and leave the other manning the phones and available for drop in appointments. ***If your based in a busy footfall area why not get one to stand out side offering leaflets and on the spot shape and paints where the other can big up your other services and you could take down their name and email addy's so you can (email future offers to them) the following day have the girls email them to tell them it was great to meet them hope to see them again and an offer so much of there next treatment vaild for 2months. and you could attach a certificate stating the offer that they can print out which you can state they could use or they could offer to someone else (either way gets you a client through the door)*** this could be done in any quiet period would certainly stop the chair swinging. And how nice of Mrs Geek to offer that trainning time you lucky thing:hug:
hope today is better for you hun

I don't own a salon, I work in one

I haven't been doing nails long (qualified in June) so feel free to ignore my view

However my husband owns his own business (plumbing and heating) and neither of us would accept that kind of lethargy from anyone who worked for us. We certainly wouldn't ask what they wanted to learn. We have an idea of where we would like the business to be in the future and if someone doesn't want to fit in with that, then they will have to find work somewhere else. After all, we're paying the bills and have lost sleep (and my husbands hair :lol: !!!) building the business up.

As I said previously I am newly qualified and out of the 12 girls in my class only two of us are now working within the industry, so I'm sure you will be able to replace the girls with new ones who are only too willing to accept extra training and input and are grateful for it. I know its not quite the same if you already have people who work at an advanced level but I feel that I personally would rather invest time training someone to work with us than have trained personel working against us. Since qualifying in June I have done four extra courses, three with CND and one with Sam Biddle and I have paid for them all myself (grrr), I would of relished the chance for extra input for free!!!

Hope it all works out for you, but be strong and remember, no employees should reduce you to tears - after all your the boss! :green:

Last edited:

I totally agree, if I worked in a salon I would never tell my manager point blank that I wasn't going to do a service they were offering because I favoured another. Its fine having an opinion but its getting the most for the clients, then they will return, rather than a stale service that is in desparate need of updating.

I have sat and read through all the replies on here and find my self agreeing wholeheartedly with all of them. I have only recently qualified so am not replying as a professional nail tech but as someone who has previously worked in human resources and recruitment for many years.

I cannot believe that these girls sit there twiddling their thumbs and refuse to learn anything new. Will they feel the same when the business cannot afford to continue paying them to sit doing nothing? I seriously doubt it. Many, many people would give their right arm to have the opportunity to learn new skills such as you are offering. How fantastic they must think they are to not 'need' to learn anything else!!!

I agree with an earlier comment that if poppits are a service that is going to be offered then they really shouldn't have a say in the matter. I think you should be tough and tell them that the reality of the situation is this... if you can't provide the service this salon is offering then you are not able to do the job you are 'employed' to do.

Oh.. and get the lazy little so and so's up of their jacksie's and give them some cleaning or something to do!!

Sorry... got a bit tense then for a minute!!!:smack:

Hi

If I had a boss like you willing to offer additional training I would jump at the chance.. Get tuff with them and tell them to sahpe up or pick up there p45s on the way out, as there plenty other girls out there looking for a chance and boss like you... xxx

Good Morning Ladies,

I would like to appauld you for stepping up as a manager to keep the nail techs in your nail salon with uptodate training. I'm just wondering are these nail techs on a hourly rate, commission or pay both rent? As I am in the USA and majority of you ladies are in UK by me used to be a salon owner and getting back into this profession once again maybe if you had a meeting with the ladies on what type of training they need to be updated on. Then you can work on the things you want to introduce to the salon as well. I just feel like to have a successful salon you all have to work as a team.

Now for the empty hours of no clienteles they need to be coming together as a team thinking of ways to market the salon. There is never enough clients especially when there are bills that got to be paid. Do you have a bridal shop by you or other shops by you that you can work a deal with? How about a catering company or cake place? How about a mall? Instead of them just sitting there looking dumb maybe just maybe they need to be working on how to pull in more clients. IF they go to these places maybe work out a deal with them to refer customers to them and they would do the same with your salon.

Also you have to realize what is the demands that your clients are requesting. Now for the introduction of the poppit introduced it as a new services and see if the clients would go for it.

I would also like to suggest that you as a salon manager request a weekly meeting with your nail techs.

What a difference some sleep makes! I came in today and have really owned my space I had a word with the girls and told them that things are going to be so much different around here and that we are set to be so busy with the new offers and that some serious leg work will be required. I went through the offers and what will be entailed and that I will not accept any attitudes except positive attitudes. I told them that a nailbar is opening soon and that there is more than enough money out there to survive but I only want people on my team who want to succeed (take it as you like but they knew I was saying if you wanna go- go). They went very quiet and hopefully reflected on what I said.
I've been on my feet all day between clients, dusting, cleaning and walking around which has motivated the girls and they too have been doing the same and we've had loads of walk ins.
I feel so differently about work now, I have worked in so many nail jobs that at one point thought I was destined to be a floater! I always wanted to bring the inspiration to the girls that I wanted and now will be more cautious.
I have decided not to bring them to The Event - I'm still going and will pass the info on as I feel there may be more to this story..... watch this space!

Thanks again for all who replied I know what its like to be searching for your ideal work situation keep going and you will get there.............. And Mrs Geek what can I say - the reason I love being part of the CND family is because of the continued unconditional support thanks so much!

I am soo proud of You RedAdmiral! Keep up your good work.:)

Warmly

Annette

Latest posts

Back