Unsafe and Unsound and Utter Rubbish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I think most people know, the products mentioned in your post are a GENERIC product line. The products are not manufactured by TT but purchased and branded. No one is saying they are bad products but just ordinary, no advanced technology there, middle of the road type products that have seen some success largely because of TT herself. With Generic products it is necessary to be a bit more aggressive to the natural nail plate in order for the product to adhere, because they are not technically advanced. I think with brands that are generic no one wants to take any chances and wants to ensure the minimum of lifting for those who use it, so they advocate harsh methods to ensure this. If THAT is what a person is taught then of course that is all they know.
Wow I can not believe you find this to be a true statement. The history for those of you that believe this to be true because it is what you have been told is as follows: Tammy's product is not bought and branded. Tammy started off as a lic. nail tech in 1981. Fresh out of school, off of $400.00 she opened her own salon. Her first full set took her over 8 hours to complete. She had to come up with something better in order to be able to make money. She would sit and practice 300 nails per night on her practice sheet and she learned how to do nails one nail at a time by doing repairs. She had major issues with the products on the market at the time. Her friend is a chemist so he started developing the product.
Tammy test ran the product along with the girls she had working for her. They would tell the chemist what they liked and disliked about the product until they came up with what is know as Tammy's original liquid. In 1983 after 2 years in the making Tammy launched her own product line that is in over 100,000 salons worldwide. In 1985 she won the world record for doing the fastest set of pink and whites in front of a live audience from begining to end herself in 17 minutes and 10 seconds. I have personally seen Tammy do a full set and it is not only amazing it is beautiful!

I couldn't have said this better myself. I must say that I am disappointed that my product line was called Generic when in fact it is not. Please make sure research is done prior to posting "facts".

I couldn't have said this better myself. I must say that I am disappointed that my product line was called Generic when in fact it is not. Please make sure research is done prior to posting "facts".

I've done my research.

Any nail technician in the world can go straight to a chemical manufacturer today and order up a product that suits her requirements, put her own label on it and start a nail company. If you have the money and the inclination and the drive, you can do it.

Several of the newest nail companies out there have done it and there is nothing shatteringly different about their products or the technology behind those products. There are little differences in colour or performance (depending how much they pay for it). If you call that a brand then you are right, it's not generic. But I don't see anything innovative or different.

Personally I use current technically advanced products that are Very very different in performance and longevity. Incredibly gentle and minimal PREP to the natural nail, Covalent Keratin bonding, completely colour stable for months on end, resistant to breaking and cracking even when made incredibly thin, manufactured by the company itself and researched and developed by the company itself in their massive laboratory facilities ... very unique and different.

That is my choice and your choice is yours. Do you think in 25 years of being in business I haven't tried most every line there is out of curiosity??? I had to know what was out there ... I am not ill informed and I know my business inside and out. I am not knocking any product by calling it generic ... or any individual entrepreneur ... it's wonderful, it's great, but it is what it is.

TT has for many years been famous for her 20 minute full set. I have also seen her do it. Great trick to perform at a show but however fast she is or however closely she worked with a chemist, or however hard she worked at launching her line, it has nothing to do with whether her product inovative or advanced or not.

Last edited:
Where is all this crappola coming from all of a sudden?

I guess that question has been answered in this thread.
Interesting and heated debates, certainly lots of food for thought here.

i def agree with lots of things you say, but the colleges have alot to answer to when they train the girls, some of them dont have clue, i was a tutor for two years and i have to rewrite the whole book that the girls were learning from, as it was teaching them nothing, we can all work differently, but should work safely, i can do nails in 45 min, but does that me crap? i dont think so, after a while you could put a full set on with your eyes closed!!! im all up for healthy nails, and the clients health,but sometimes we all make mistakes thats what makes us good we learn not to do that again!! x x :hug:

OK. I think enough is enough on this topic. It has suddenly turned into a 'Brand X' sucks/rules discussion instead of the original discussion of keeping things professional.

Keeping it professional can and always will be a grey area simply because the word itself is subjective (apparently it is also a noun AND a verb too!).

Saying that - even 'greyness' has boundaries. Any time that users start advocating methods that directly and blatantly contradict the very essence of being a professional - we owe it to each other and to the rest of the net enabled world to constructively and politely suggest better alternative techniques.

What are the the types of techniques I am talking about? Really any technique that unnecessarily causes or increases a health risk or unnecessarily causes excessive nail plate/skin/hair damage.

For example: etching the surface of the nail with an excessively harsh abrasive, swabbing monomer on skin, intermixing monomer and polymers, cleansing your skin with Drano or over processing perms on purpose for the 'coif of Frankenstein look'.

And always remember that if/when you read something like the above, not everyone understands why it is a bad thing to begin with and no one likes to be publicly told otherwise. Use these times as great opportunities to discuss, educate and inspire a better way.

nJoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back