Unsafe and Unsound and Utter Rubbish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being from America and having been in the cattle business, I'm not amused by the references of 'cowboy'. What in the world does a cowboy have to do with nails???? Granted, the techniques you describe are less than correct, but do you have to bash another totally unrelated group to get your point across? :irked:

This is taking the thread a little bit off course. This is just another example of the differences across the world. Sometimes we use words in the UK which will mean something completely different to elsewhere - pants to us are underwear but to someone in the US for example, they are trousers.

No one for one minute is meaning to cause offence by words. We need to be tolerant of other nationalities.

Snugglepuss said:
"I for one will always try and give someone a chance, but if they decide to "rubbish" something I have posted and is a fact or are rude then I will leave it to the mods and geeks with a little more patience and time than I have to help."

I don't believe I 'rubbished' anything you said, nor was I rude.

Snugglepuss said:
"Perhaps in my old age, I have gotton grumpy as I used to have the patience of a saint but find it difficult now to respond to those that make ridiculous statements or try and belittle me or more importantly other knowledgeable geeks!"

There was nothing ridiculous or belittling in my statements, just a voicing of my opinion, just as you have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
ummmm snugs posted before you did, so how could her post be directed at anything you said?

"I for one will always try and give someone a chance, but if they decide to "rubbish" something I have posted and is a fact or are rude then I will leave it to the mods and geeks with a little more patience and time than I have to help."

"Perhaps in my old age, I have gotton grumpy as I used to have the patience of a saint but find it difficult now to respond to those that make ridiculous statements or try and belittle me or more importantly other knowledgeable geeks!"

There was nothing ridiculous or belittling in my statements, just a voicing of my opinion, just as you have done.
The comments that you highlighted in italics weren't in response to anything you said, they were said earlier on in the thread.

Please take the time to re-read the whole thread, nobody is having a dig at anyone 'personally', they are general observations and there have been some extremely good points made.

No-one has had a go at you here in any way hun.
If you have a problem with a specific poster take it to PM.
Or even better speak to a mod.

I think this has gone a little off course....this thread is brilliant to read...different points of view from everyone ...so lets get back on track.....and geek happily xxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

:green: falalalal laaa laaa laaa alaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

God I am in a good mood today :lol:
Snuggs good points made there hun as always ,

There is a report a post option isnt there ?
See you learn something new everyday...I didnt understand about that untill the other day,
so what happens when you click that then ?
Is a mod alerted and then can consider what to do ?

Being from America and having been in the cattle business, I'm not amused by the references of 'cowboy'. What in the world does a cowboy have to do with nails???? Granted, the techniques you describe are less than correct, but do you have to bash another totally unrelated group to get your point across? :irked:
The above quoted post totally flummoxed me (sorry nailadee55) I couldn't find reference to anyone saying that anyone was a cowboy on Gigi's thread! but then realised you must have meant that you were not amused in general by some nail techs referring others to being cowboys!

The unfortunate thing is that it has now become a slang word used in connection with anyone who does a shoddy/bad job - not just nail techs!

It is nothing personal to you (or true cowboys) and in fact when I think of cowboys, I always think of Indians and John Wayne!

Furthermore - where did I say anything about you belittling me - it was a generalized comment - and yes some people have belittled me and been very rude to me in the past and I am generally known for balanced opinion!!

I'm sorry for not putting that last bit in a pm mods - I just felt I needed to defend myself a little and can I just say thanks to those that have taken the time to read what I said [hug]

I wish you all well xxx

Last edited:
I am going to delete any more off topic posts. So lets back on track and not go over the top ...

I very rarely post on this site. The last time I posted on this site, I was ignored and not really happy about it. It is very difficult to post with you ladies because of this very post. Yes I am an etcher does that make me unprofessional, no. What you all do in the UK is one thing what we do here in the USA is another.

With all due respect, the book on etching was not written by CND or its users. If I am not mistaken this 240 grit thing started with CND and Doug and his crew. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I used that stuff, for lack of a better word, for 12 years and I can tell you that my business was easier to build once I ditched it. I have been licensed for almost 20 years and have seen alot. Do I need a cookie cutter for smile lines, nope not at all. But, I am not going to knock a rookie if he or she needs to use one. None of us came out of nail school doing perfect smile lines.

On one hand I think your little nailhood here is cute. I like the togetherness....BUT you don't have to beat down others who freely think differently than the majority here with words to get your point across. Believe what you believe in but do it with respect. There is alot to be learned from other people. You won't learn a thing if you constantly run them away.

Ok, lets try this again. I typed up my views and concerns on this post only to somehow trying to do a spell check lost it all. My goal here is not to offend or upset anyone just to make some points. If I offend or upset anyone, sorry in advance. I have gone thru this whole thread and touched on some things that are very offensive or incorrect to my knowledge. I am upset and offended that a modorator started this post and has made some of the comments that she has made. I have found, in my opinion, and please keep in mind these are my opinions, that the term professional has gone right out the window with this thread. Below are some of my issues:

Using a 100 grit on the natural nail to prepare it!!! Using acetone to 'remove a layer' when rebalancing!!! Using neat monomer and a metal tool to make smile lines!!! Using tips to lever/prise/pull off old product!!! If they are doing these things, they can hardly be referred to as a professional.
Just because a tech does not do nails in a manor that other techs do there service does not mean that they are not a professional. There are many ways to do a service. Are they right or wrong, well I thought that was for or state boards to deside. To me, my opinion, this is a very unprofessional comment to make and very offensive.
Do I agree with all of the things that you have listed to be done in a service? No, however I would not say that someone is not a professional because this is how they do their service. I can tell you I do and will continue to use a 100 grit file to etch the nail plate with.
Does that mean in your opinion that I am not a professional, well ok so what. Do I agree, NO! I am very well educated in the beauty industry as a whole. I have multi-lic.'s. Instead of stating that someone is not professional why not try to get them to go for education instead. As a matter of fact it is recommended to do 2 continuing ed classes per year, how many of you can say that you do that? I can.
I can tell you that I have never harmed any of my clients by doing my service this way. You need to know the proper ways of using your tools befor you pick them up and use them. You don't remover layers of the nail plate just the surface shine, nor do you use any pressure what so ever when etching. Young nails has a great saying that goes something like this.....it is not the tools that cause the damage it is the fools that use the tools. I agree fully. I have seen more electric file damage then I have ever seen with a 100 grit file. The reason is because people pick up these files without having proper education on how to use them.
State boards say that you can not use them on the natural nail or on anything that has live meaty tissue underneith but how may of you pick up your electric file and go over the complete surface of the nail that has acrylic or gel on it. Do I do that, NO. Do I think that you are not a professional because you do it, NO.
What I do feel/hope is you properly know how to use your tools and you are not damaging the nail plate then you are professionally doing your job. If the electric file is used on the correct speed it is ok. The problem lies with people that give it a bad rep. So my point is just because you don't agree with the method or technique does not mean that the individual is not a professional.

a metal tool to make smile lines
There are many techs that strugle to be able to do good smile lines so why not develop a tool to help them? A lot of my students have hard times with smile lines and they use these. It boost there confidence level's and intern keeps them interested in being a nail tech. There have been many of tools developed through out the years but to include this one just confusses me. And then to go on and say if anyone uses it they are not a professional, wow.

a true professional would know not to try any of the above and risk the health of the clients nails.
State boards regulate what causes risk to the health of the clients nails. No where in the state board rules and regulations does it state that 100 grit files being used to prep the nail with puts the client at risk or does anything to the health of the clients nails or using a tool to make a smile line is harmfull. I know that you just made this statement in general to the orginal post but I want to touch on the two that I have an issues with being included in this thread

I have a woman who`s natural thumb nail has turned completely black with a tinge of green due to improper prep by a nail bar
This would be caused by not disenfecting their tools not by improper prep of the nail. It's dirty implements

Well she did it but they looked absolutely terrible. Thick, square, out-of- balance, sculpted nails and she only did them in 20 minutes because all the prep had been done first and all the forms were already applied before she started. Again it is rubbish and marketing hype and bears no resemblance to reality. She also used a 100 grit file all over the nail plate as well as acid primer. A very bad example to all.
Just courious.......who are you refuring too? lol

What disturbs me, almost more, is the attitude that goes with some of these posts. I am more than happy to assist anyone who needs genuine help but am puzzled, to say the least, at the offensive, aggressive, attitude offered by some.
Thank you.
This is why I have never posted here until today. I am a member of many boards that I post on daily. While I am sure there are a lot of great things to be learned on this board they are getting lost due to threads like this one. This is why I have never posted on this board. I became a member and since I have never heard anything nice about this board. The 2 times that I have stopped by just to read and possible post I have come across post that have been offensive like this one and just left. I wanted to touch on this on and bring some light to this board about how it is coming across to new members.

As I think most people know, the products mentioned in your post are a GENERIC product line. The products are not manufactured by TT but purchased and branded. No one is saying they are bad products but just ordinary, no advanced technology there, middle of the road type products that have seen some success largely because of TT herself. With Generic products it is necessary to be a bit more aggressive to the natural nail plate in order for the product to adhere, because they are not technically advanced. I think with brands that are generic no one wants to take any chances and wants to ensure the minimum of lifting for those who use it, so they advocate harsh methods to ensure this. If THAT is what a person is taught then of course that is all they know.
Wow I can not believe you find this to be a true statement. The history for those of you that believe this to be true because it is what you have been told is as follows: Tammy's product is not bought and branded. Tammy started off as a lic. nail tech in 1981. Fresh out of school, off of $400.00 she opened her own salon. Her first full set took her over 8 hours to complete. She had to come up with something better in order to be able to make money. She would sit and practice 300 nails per night on her practice sheet and she learned how to do nails one nail at a time by doing repairs. She had major issues with the products on the market at the time. Her friend is a chemist so he started developing the product.
Tammy test ran the product along with the girls she had working for her. They would tell the chemist what they liked and disliked about the product until they came up with what is know as Tammy's original liquid. In 1983 after 2 years in the making Tammy launched her own product line that is in over 100,000 salons worldwide. In 1985 she won the world record for doing the fastest set of pink and whites in front of a live audience from begining to end herself in 17 minutes and 10 seconds. I have personally seen Tammy do a full set and it is not only amazing it is beautiful!

A 100 grit file damages the natural nail plate no matter how gently one thinks one is using it. This has been proved .. there are photos to prove it taken under laboratory conditions .. it is a fact.
Were is the proof?

i dont know why they stick with that theory, maybe they just dont want to be seen to be doing a u turn.......
Tammy is not afraid of doing u turns so I really don't think that is why. Tammy's method's are tried and proven methods that she is not going to work on if they alreay work.

Everyone has their own way of doing a service. Is it right or wrong, well who are we to judge. Stateboards make the rules and they deside what is right or wrong. To say that someone is not a professional because they do not do what you believe in is wrong. I would hope that this board would be used for something more useful. Like networking and learning from everyone. Not name calling because you don't agree with a method.

ps. I am not even going to try to do the spell check again since it lost the last post. I appolize if there are misspelled words, which I am sure there is.....lol

I very rarely post on this site. The last time I posted on this site, I was ignored and not really happy about it. It is very difficult to post with you ladies because of this very post. Yes I am an etcher does that make me unprofessional, no. What you all do in the UK is one thing what we do here in the USA is another.

With all due respect, the book on etching was not written by CND or its users. If I am not mistaken this 240 grit thing started with CND and Doug and his crew. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I used that stuff, for lack of a better word, for 12 years and I can tell you that my business was easier to build once I ditched it. I have been licensed for almost 20 years and have seen alot. Do I need a cookie cutter for smile lines, nope not at all. But, I am not going to knock a rookie if he or she needs to use one. None of us came out of nail school doing perfect smile lines.

On one hand I think your little nailhood here is cute. I like the togetherness....BUT you don't have to beat down others who freely think differently than the majority here with words to get your point across. Believe what you believe in but do it with respect. There is alot to be learned from other people. You won't learn a thing if you constantly run them away.

I have checked your previous posts and cannot for the life of me understand how you think you were ignored??
I don't think we are "cute" I think we are a bunch of people trying to do a good job and give advice to others (is that wrong?)
I wouldn't dream of beating down anyone mate.
You are totally right, there is a lot to be learned by others.

Last edited:
Well you've certainly made a point. Albeit a very contadictory one.

Well you've certainly made a point. Albeit a very contadictory one.

what u have actually highlighted in red if you read again are the original posters thoughts AND quotes from others she has made, I am not getting in on this argument but you have not read it right and have mixed her words with others with your red highlighting, making them appear to be all HER words when they are not.

what u have actually highlighted in red if you read again are the original posters thoughts AND quotes from others she has made, I am not getting in on this argument but you have not read it right and have mixed her words with others with your red highlighting, making them appear to be all HER words when they are not.

No probs hun..I'll re quote...quite hard when the typing is much the same!
I will edit my last post.

I have to say what you did to my post make no sense at all. Did you have a comment to make??? All you did was took some of what I was stating and some of what I was replying to and put it in red. Is there a reason for this? Please explain, since not all of what you took the time to high light in red was what I stated.

I just don't see how you can disagree with Facts....opinions yeah...but Facts ??.....I decide what are facts and what are not by who ever is speaking of the facts...and in this case i have no need to question the facts given with regards to the damage that a 100 grit can do to natural nails.

IMO...and that of many.....Our main concern should be for the care of the natural nail....for years we have been trying to rid the stigma that having enhancements ruins your nails...created mainly due to bad nail techs and clients that abuse there nails....thats why i believe its important, very important to crush these theories and prove that enhancements does not ruin your nails...how can we do that when there are still people who think that etching a nail with 100 grit is not damaging.

Also...as i have said and will keep saying....its not even something that HAS to be done.....its doesn't do anymore for the enhancements than a 240 for prep would....unless of course you are using a product that does need a 100 grit surface to adhere and if thats the case...ask yourself...why does it ???

As for being more or less professional...well to be honest...if you have to ask if you are proffesional then really you already know the answer.

ok now I see what you did. My comments are in purple. The others were susposed to be in black but for some reason did not show up that way. Sorry for the confussion

Sorry I still forgot to add: maybe things are done differently where you are? No-one is saying you are wrong to get the education that you did. But there's absolutely nothing wrong in changing your way of thinking and listening to advice.
See...you thought you had problems by deleting your first message:lol:
I must admit I have often had my mind changed on many things from many geeks...none of us are know it all. We are just trying to help each other.

ok now I see what you did. My comments are in purple. The others were susposed to be in black but for some reason did not show up that way. Sorry for the confussion

No worries mate it was just a little confusing there for a while x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back