Up the creek without a paddle! help :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss amy

Reaction score
Hello geeks, I am after some advice! Some of you may remember a few months ago I posted about a member of staff stealing from me, well I did the right thing and got rid of him leaving me with myself and another full time stylist renting a chair and a part time beauty therapist renting a room.

I am 3 months pregnant(due 10th Nov) which is fab as we were trying for a baby and I am really looking forward to it. Hoping to be back just a day/2 days a week for christmas, pushing it I know. Basically now my full time chair renter has announced that she is pregnant and due 13 days after me and I have no one to cover the salon and am now feeling the strain. I am worried about money, who will look after the salon and feel immense pressure to get back to work full time asap now and I was originally planning on only going back 3 days.

I have exhausted all my options regarding people I know renting off me and I have a job going in the local paper tomorrow, adverts online and I wonder what you geeks think, how would you handle this?! I feel really quite stressed about it!:cry:

first off stop stressing.
November is still a long way off, you have plenty of time to find a solution to this problem. What are the other girls plans for when she has had her baby ? Perhaps she would be interested in coming in for the 3 days your not in vice versa ?

first off stop stressing.
November is still a long way off, you have plenty of time to find a solution to this problem. What are the other girls plans for when she has had her baby ? Perhaps she would be interested in coming in for the 3 days your not in vice versa ?

She says that what she wants to do its just that cross over period that I am worrying about I think, I am concerned about December as obviously thats a really busy month for everyone in our industry and having no one in the salon :confused:

ok is there not anyone u know from the area that might be interested in some temp work? or even as a longer term thing if she/he wanted to rent the extra chair off you? Anyone you know from your college ? hmmm sorry im not being much help, but as i say november is a while off yet so theres plenty of time for something to come up :) x

I have exhausted all my contacts from the industry and no one seems to have the balls to go self employed, it baffles me as my staff are earning between £500-900 pw after rent, we are a busy salon and I dont get why no one wants the opportunity!

I will have to ask around colleges and see if they have anything to offer! x

I have exhausted all my contacts from the industry and no one seems to have the balls to go self employed, it baffles me as my staff are earning between £500-900 pw after rent, we are a busy salon and I dont get why no one wants the opportunity!

definately a good idea, wish i lived nearer!! sounds like a fab opportunity. x

Good grief..could I have a job there...amazing that no one wants to pick up on that kind of offer.
Colleges is a good port of call and hopefully will bring in someone for you.

Congrats on the baby...and try and enjoy the experience...that's what is most important...the rest will sort itself out in good time :hug:

Firstly congrats on the baby! Thought I'd put my penneth worth in, I think you need more than a college leaver to help you run your clients and salon while your off.
Maybe you should advertise for a salon manager/senior stylist now, while your still around, so that when you do begin your leave you have someone that you know and are happy with.
It's worth doing this early so that the transition is easier and less worrying for you.

Hi this is not my area really and I think good Idea about the collages. Another thought is what about contacting one or two of the people who do mobile in your area and ask them if they fancy taking a chair on a temp or permanent basis. Not sure if this is possible but just a thought. Sorry couldn't help you further and hope it all works out forn you.

Between now and November alot of level 3 tudents are going to qualify, June and July ort of time, so get in touch with local colleges and let them know you want staff.
Whatever you do nothing is as important as yours and your babies health so try not to stress and look after yourselves. :hug:

Or how about finding a temporary manager through an employment agency? expensive I know but if it's only for a month or so. . . .
November is a long way off so you have time on your side.
Good luck with your pregnancy x

When my hairdresser upped and left with no notice, i rang round some mobile hairdressers. I found one that came in for me just to cover till i found someone else.
She was a godsend. I now have my sister working for me as a hairdresser. She couldn't work for me before due to having a baby herself but it all worked out.
If you can find a mobile hairdresser they might jump at the chance of doing the busy December month!
I searched the internet and the local papers.
Maybe worth a try :)

Hi Amy,

I had a very similar problem when my daughter was born on- 10th Nov 05, A member of staff let me down 5 days after having her. I had to go back two weeks later- sat down tho being a nail tech.

This was the time when I wished I was employed!!! But as always everything works its self out. You have plenty to find a replacement.

Instead I now have a problem with my Dermalogica stock going missing, so I think us salon owners all have a lot to deal with-why do we do it to ourselves??

Anyway Good Luck with finding a new member of staff, and try not to stress, it will all work itself out

Liz xx

hi i had the same problem 7 years ago my partner at work and i both fell pregnant at the same time we tried to get staff but no one suitable came along we then got a friend who was also a hairdresser to help but it didnt work out my partner had her babies first and managed about six weeks maternity leave then she came back to work and i managed about 4 weeks mat leave because the cover we had wasnt up to the job,it nearly lost us clients pick someone with plenty of experience is my advice!! needless to say 7 years later on we are still in buisness and i dont think our children suffered!!!! may be go back on alternate days if she is willing

Amy i do remember your original pst and i was one of the people telling you to get rid - just remember you still did the right thing. I recently advertised for an experienced stlyist and i too and going to be advertising next week for another one ( I am not far from you) and there are a few out there. What i do suggest you do is consider employing someone though as i have noticed that people are looking to come off self employed - the person i recently recruited did this - and loads of salons at the minute are trying to boost their sales by taking on chair renters. Perservere as November is miles off, don't panic and speak to your wholesaler to see if they know anyone and yes lots of newly qualifies staff about

Wow something in the water in your salon?! First off congrats on your pending arrival. I knew a lady in a similar position - I recieved an e mail from a big salon in my area asking if I would like to manage her salon for three months whilst she was off on maternity leave basically I would get 60% of my profits and would keep things ticking over for her to return - I know its hard but might be worth a go - I am mobile and she contactedall of the moby's out there to ask if they would consider it at least the salon would be open and you could still pop in to keep an eye on things.

Hope you sort the situation out and good luck and don't stress too much think of baby xxx

Relax a little. Ok, its a surprise but you can work around it. Seems like your best options are to
1.) Ask a good mobile stylist to manage the salon for a few months.
2.) Employ somebody, since you are not getting anyone wanting to go self-employed
3.) Keep advertising for self-employed

You have quite a few months left during which to train someone up to your way of doing things. Even when you are heavily pregnant you can stop in to keep involved.

You could also take on a junior from a college that has potential. In the next 5/ 6 months you could help train them up and they could be a good helping hand to whoever takes care of the salon.

Best of luck xxx

Latest posts

Back