Update on salon job...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJoPearce

Reaction score
I went yesterday afternoon and did a set of nails on a model and they offered me the nail desk.

I start Saturday week and will only be working Saturday's for the moment until business has picked up, then I'll be adding a few week days in as well.

I also managed to negotiate a better split to 70/30 which I'm pleased with. I know 80/20 would be better but as this is my first salon job, it will be a learning curve and I'm sure mistakes will happen. The owner did say that once business has picked up then I can rent, so even better.

The only thing that is worrying me (always have a worry going on) is that I did the nails to thin on the free edge (I sculpted them). They looked really good but scarred they are to thin and will chip.

Just need to build my kit up a little and order a few retail items. So, I have a few questions to ask:

• I mainly sculpt but need tips as a back up. Have a few of each of the creative tips but cant afford at the moment to restock on all 3. Which, out the 3 are more commonly used or best for a biter?
  • Retail Items: What is it best to star off with (again limited budget)? I'm going to get some more solar oil and some pinkies as well but not sure what else i'll need.
Thanks all for all your advice and help.

Great news well donexxxx:hug:

Pinkies and mini Cucumber Heel Therapy's will be good to start off with.

Sorry can't help with the tips.

Congratulations!!

I use Velocity tips on most clients who want tips including nail biters. You should be fine with that and the tapered design helps the bitten nail look more sleek than some of the other tips.

If you have the time I would go into the salon as many days as you can ... doing THIS will build you business much more quickly than only going in one day per week. I know you will have days when you do very little at first, but the exposure will be much better for you and you can promote yourself to a wider variety of customers.

Believe me, I know what I am talking about. WE are a service industry ... and one day per week is not offering a service and gives out all the wrong signals to prospective clients who see your desk empty.

Now while you are paying a percentage, is a good time to devote to building up a regular client base.

Believe me, I know what I am talking about. WE are a service industry ... and one day per week is not offering a service and gives out all the wrong signals to prospective clients who see your desk empty.

Now while you are paying a percentage, is a good time to devote to building up a regular client base.

i agree - one day wont be enough and what about the peeps that cant come saturdays.

Well done on the job however!

Stockwise....loads of solar products, and a fab time to start promoting your pedi's too so dont forget the cucumber heel therapy.

You could also stock some toughen up and supershiney for the natural nail care ladies.

Amb x

At the moment I cant afford to put the kids in nursery and sit all day and not cover the costs, but on the other hand I agree, you need to show a presence. It's not ideal and if I could do it, I would. But hopefully, in a few months I will be able to build up the week days.

Cheers,

I'll be ordering all my stuff in the next few day.

At the moment I cant afford
I use to say this when I first startedand my boys were mere babies.
My Mentor always looked at me and Said " You can't afford Not to" :)
It is a damn if you do and damn if you don't. Isn't it.

congrats on your new job.

Latest posts

Back