Urgent advice needed RE leaving salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ophala

Reaction score
Hi all, I hope someone can help.

I handed in my notice this week after 4 months in my new salon as I'm not happy there, I'm not allowed to advertise and I can't afford my rent. Now I'm self employed, so strictly speaking do I need to give notice? I think I shot myself in the foot by signing a contract that I'd give 1 months notice... Also they have not given me any invoices of my paid rent since I've been there, even with me repeatedly asking for it - apparently head office are dealing with it.

The manager has agreed to let me leave this week instead of working the full month but wants me to pay my rent at a reduced rate (still £200) to be able to leave. Now she is saying that if I don't pay her the £200 then she won't let me take my desk tomorrow - even thought I bought it! Can I refuse her the money until I recieve my invoices and do I have to pay anyway considering I'm self employed?

Hi,

As you are self employed I guess the contact you signed is a rental agreement and not an employment one? If it is a rental agreement and you were happy to agree with it and to sign it then I imagine you will have to abide by it. However rent is normally paid in advance, so why is he/she asking you pay it before you leave? Are you being asked to pay for your months notice without working it?

As for the invoices I think you may have lost them. You should have got the invoice before paying rent, not afterwards. Maybe the best thing to do is ask for a 'statement of account' from the head office. If all else fails I hope you paid your rent by cheque as HMRC will most likely allow the expense if it's on your cheque book stubs and on your bank statements

HTH
jes

No one can hold on to another persons goods for money owed unless this is written into the contract. That said, I do think you should pay up, you signed the agreement for 1 months notice and should either contiue to work there or pay.
But, you are self employed by what right does anyone say you can't advertise? It drives me insane when you pay your rent and then your landlord starts telling you how to conduct your business. Either they are your boss or your landlord. Not both:irked:

they are playing games with you ......

They want you to leave now, so you won't steal clients.

Yet now they want things their way........

If I were you, I would offer to stay the length of your notice until they agree(or bend) to your terms, be strong and stay until they can't stand it any longer, let you and you desk go without any dramas.

As you have signed and agreement, you have a responsibility to them (to pay rent and give notice) and they have a responsibility to you.

Demand your rental receipts, they probably don't claim them in their income (nor tax), but you are entitled to them.

Just stay ... hang in there and they will sway to your way of thinking .... they will be too frightened to loose clients to you.

If they refuse to give invoices I would not worry over it too much. The cost of your premises should be written in your rental agreement contract anyway, and your bank statements offer proof of payment - so for HMRC purposes that is all that is required.

I do not have monthly invoices for my lease - this is all covered in the contract!

I would work my notice if i were you.

They sound very irritating but you signed a contract and if you have to pay for it anyway, you might as well be earning at the same time.

Lesson learned for next time eh?

Of course you are allowed to advertise. How could they stop you and why woud they want to? You would be bringing clients to them too. Or do you mean you are not allowed to advertise in their salon?

You could ask for an invoice before you pay for your final month, but i think what you need are receipts. You could always write it down and get the manager to sign it.

Good luck

If I was you I would get this sorted out as soon as possible. You signed a contract so you do owe them the money for the notice, you can stay in that period if you wish but you have the opportunity to pay less and leave now so it is up to you what you do.

As for your receipts, they aren't necessary for your accounts, the revenue will accept proof of payment, contract and bank statements are enough.

As for your desk, they are not entitled to keep anything that belongs to you, they would probably not like a scene in front of clients anyway.

Use this as a lesson to be learned. If you sign a contract, that is just what it is, a contract. Be careful what you sign in the future, make sure that you understand fully what it entails.

On the upside you will learn from this experience. Get it sorted now and move on, you will feel like a weight has been lifted once you do and you can get on with the next bit of your life and career! Good luck! :)

All the advice is good but it is all assuming that all business transactions weren't undeclared cash!

Being self employed doesn't mean you can disregard signed agreements. The rental amount should be in that but there is no reason why they can't give you receipts or, as mentioned a statement of account.

As for the advertising, that is something that is best agreed upon when negotiating the rental arrangements

Good luck and get a better agreement next time

Latest posts

Back