Using Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamIam

Reaction score
Just started using Gelish and was wondering if those of you who have used it on a regular basis can give me any tricks or tips that worked for you in helping with application or wear of Gelish better. Appreciate any info.

The best thing I did was watch the demo's and asked loads of questions at the beauty show.

A few things I learnt were:

The foundation coat needs to be ultra thin, she literally scraped it all off then used what was left for 4 nails!

Apply very thin coats of colour.

Cap off the edges - really important to stop that lifting/peeling off.

I love Gelish, it's a fab product.
But if you apply it to a picker, they will pick it off regardless of how well you've applied it.

I always make a point of saying this to the client so they can't come back and blame the product.

Hth. X

The gelish group on here is a good place to go too.

There are loads of tutorials about applications but be careful as some of them on You tube are not accurate x

The base coat application giving from the above geek is one of the best peices of advise you'll ever get. This stage is the most important and often the biggest cause of premature lifting. Dry brushing is also a good option if needed.

Have you tried structure gel? This is perfect for weak brittle nails that would normally have problems with Gelish alone. Structure Gel is a soak off gel that give the nails added strength and a smooth surface - also good for hiding deep ridges x

I started using Gelish 3 mnths ago. In the first month I almost pulled my hair out it seemed that lots of my models had chipped or peeling nails.

I was literally almost going to give up. Then I read loads of forums on here and did a few things differently and now they come out perfectly!!!

I stopped dry brushing the foundation layer ( people are either for or against this and some will say this is very important but for me it worked when i stopped) also dont forget to cap the foundation layer.

Then I started using ALOT less foundation layer as the others have said, thin thin thin thin thin layers is key!!!! same on the colours!!

Dont forget to cap each layer. I used to do it finger by finger but now i paint all 4 fingers with gel then cap the edges then cure.

hope some of this helps. Give it time, it all comes together xx

gelish is that paint on one isn't it? I prefer the ones you use with proper brushes, not nail polish brushes

My biggest tip would be as prev mentioned, thin applications :)

gelish is that paint on one isn't it? I prefer the ones you use with proper brushes, not nail polish brushes

gelish is a gel polish rather than an actual gel system hun hence the polish brush :D xx

Great advice, thank you!! I don't care for gel polish in jars, they didn't work for me and take way too long to soak off.

Just browsing. . .Great advice, thanks :)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I started using Gelish 3 mnths ago. In the first month I almost pulled my hair out it seemed that lots of my models had chipped or peeling nails.

I was literally almost going to give up. Then I read loads of forums on here and did a few things differently and now they come out perfectly!!!

I stopped dry brushing the foundation layer ( people are either for or against this and some will say this is very important but for me it worked when i stopped) also dont forget to cap the foundation layer.

Then I started using ALOT less foundation layer as the others have said, thin thin thin thin thin layers is key!!!! same on the colours!!

Dont forget to cap each layer. I used to do it finger by finger but now i paint all 4 fingers with gel then cap the edges then cure.

hope some of this helps. Give it time, it all comes together xx

When you say cap, do you cap or swipe? I also get wear on tipsx

Hi Guys

Some excellent advice, just to add

• through prep, ensure the nail plate is free of any dust, ph bond
  • thin thin thin with foundation - the reason for DRY brushing is to create a good GRIP for your next coat to adhere to
  • ensure correct cure times of your product using correct lamp 36watt uv or led
  • thin layers of colours (almost all will cure in 2 layers but if you feel you need 3 then 3 thin is fine)
  • use structure if your client needs it.
  • CAP EVERY LAYER FROM FOUNDATION/COLOUR/TOP IT OFF
  • educate your client on how to get the best from their product and book in at 3 weekly appointments
If you try and do it yourself or Wing it on You tube:eek: you could/can hit problems.....you need to 'know' what your products do and why you apply them in the way you 'do'.

With most brands and products, I would always recommend to get the BEST from them to attend a training day. And most reputable companies will recommend this.

You'll come away inspired,refreshed, 100% know what your doing and have confidence in your application. You'll have a manual to refer back to should you need to. Can only speak for Harmony but we have groups on fb where you can ask questions, you'll get access to your educators email/phone poss facebook also you can always find head office for help and support 'should' you need it.

Hth x

Thank you. I ve been using shellac so I sort of expected it to be the same process .i think I may take your advice on training x

thank you for the good information on this subject. I have not heard of dry brushing though? Could you explain the technique please

thanks

Latest posts

Back