Using your elbows when massaging??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmcgin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was doing a massage recently and the client had explained to me that she really needed a firm massage as she suffered with alot of
muscular fatigue. I began the massage firm as i could, and she said i could
use my elbows if i wanted too. I explained that i was not taught to use elbows as i could cause an injury to her. The client said another therapist had used their elbows before?? Should i have used them????
Is it different product houses or massages that use elbows :confused:

Does any one have any feedback for me.

Many thanks xxx

Hi salmcgin, I would advise that unless you have been trained or taught to use your elbows I would not do so. Some clients for example, believe that deep massage is only effective when it is really painful and there is bruising but this is not the case. Have you been taught to sports massage?

Hi salmcgin, I would advise that unless you have been trained or taught to use your elbows I would not do so. Some clients for example, believe that deep massage is only effective when it is really painful and there is bruising but this is not the case. Have you been taught to sports massage?

No i havent been trained in sports massage but i guess deep tissue massage would be with your elbows as its quite a firm massage!!! Would you recommend to the client to have a sports massage instead?

I agree, don't do something that you don't know what to do.
It sounds like deep tissue massage.

I use my forearms and my knuckles to massage sometimes, but have been trained to do this.

I would tell your client that you can only do so much and don't put yourself out by damaging yourself by trying to do a deep massage.

I agree, don't do something that you don't know what to do.
It sounds like deep tissue massage.

I use my forearms and my knuckles to massage sometimes, but have been trained to do this.

I would tell your client that you can only do so much and don't put yourself out by damaging yourself by trying to do a deep massage.

Many thanks for your feedback xxx

I use my elbows, but I would not recommend you do so without knowing what you are doing and have been trained in these methods. There are many kinds of massage, and many advanced techniques, all of which require some sort of training - either basic qualification or post graduate training. Sports massage itself does not involve use of elbows as such, although I do because I incorporate various advanced techniques that I have also trained for. If I cannot offer a treatment that the client requires or would benefit from, I always refer to someone who can. It is important that we work within our abilities, our training and our qualifications.

I use my elbows, but I would not recommend you do so without knowing what you are doing and have been trained in these methods. There are many kinds of massage, and many advanced techniques, all of which require some sort of training - either basic qualification or post graduate training. Sports massage itself does not involve use of elbows as such, although I do because I incorporate various advanced techniques that I have also trained for. If I cannot offer a treatment that the client requires or would benefit from, I always refer to someone who can. It is important that we work within our abilities, our training and our qualifications.

Thank you for all your positive advice XXX

No i havent been trained in sports massage but i guess deep tissue massage would be with your elbows as its quite a firm massage!!! Would you recommend to the client to have a sports massage instead?
I would certainly offer a massage treatment if you have been trained in it. It is really important to carry out treatments that you are qualified in because if something goes wrong you will not be covered for insurance. Hope this is helpful :)

Deep tissue and sports massage don't require use of elbows. Quite frankly if any institution is still teaching that you need to use elbows to be effective then they are outdated practices that can potentially cause injury to the client.

I use my knuckles and forearms but clients who claim that someone needs to use their elbows for a good massage needs to be re-educated. You can do more damage to the person causing bruising and strains.

Once you start using elbows you don't know how much force you are exerting on a client. The purpose of a massage is to help the client, not cause trauma to the muscles you are trying to'fix'.

my regular client that has a back massage every 2-3 weeks had been to a top spa last month with her work, and had booked an Elemis deep tissue massage. After 5 minutes she asked the therapist to stop as it was killing her, and asked for a deep swedish massage instead.

Now, my client loves a deep massage, so it must have been bad! LOL! I achieve this by knuckling and forearms.

Whilst the use of elbows aren't essential to deep massage, when used properly they are no more likely to cause bruising than any form of deep massage - including the use of knuckles.

Knuckles are no more 'sensitive' to pressure than an albow. Indeed, I can feel the state of the underlying tissue using my elbow as easily with my elbow as I can my knuckle.

A properly guided elbow with the pressure applied sensitively can work wonders, especially on the piriformis. That said, like all massage techniques, you shouldn't use those you are uncertain in using.

Whilst the use of elbows aren't essential to deep massage, when used properly they are no more likely to cause bruising than any form of deep massage - including the use of knuckles.

Knuckles are no more 'sensitive' to pressure than an albow. Indeed, I can feel the state of the underlying tissue using my elbow as easily with my elbow as I can my knuckle.

A properly guided elbow with the pressure applied sensitively can work wonders, especially on the piriformis. That said, like all massage techniques, you shouldn't use those you are uncertain in using.

I completely agree with you,
Elbows are no more likely to cause damage than knuckles or even fingers. You just have to know what you are doing. Using elbows make massage deeper and it makes life of a therapist a lot easier. I used to hate doing massages(was thinking to give them up). Because every time after one i felt so tired and drained, and my fingers were in pain. But now, i know how to use elbows (and some other helpful techniques) and I love doing massages. I agree that deep massage doesn't have to be painful, but it is called deep massage for a reason. I think you should go for an advanced massage course, and when you will be happy using new techniques.:hug:

I agree with everyone, don't do anything you haven't been trained for!
i use (rarely) elbow, only in my remedial massage(have ben trained for), and when used properly it is not painful or uncomfortable! and when using it, i ask the cient to poprely breath in and out!
some tips to give more pressure during massage:
lower the couch if possible, use your body weight and not strengh, use the fleshy part of your forearms!
i also had an elemis deep tissue ( shouldn't be called that) and my back was bruised!

hope this help

Latest posts

Back