UV Gel & Glitter Application, Why Messy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia H

Reaction score
I've read loads and loads of info on acrylics on this fab site on how to apply glitter to the tips and seached and read on UV Gels (which I do). I am asking for advice on how to apply glitter to a clear tip using UV gel? When I try and do it it seems to "glob" and not look good at all. After lots of filing and with another layer (at least of gel) it looks ok, but could be better.

Any advice from you experts out there, I seem to be making the same mistake again and again xx Thank You :rolleyes:

you have 2 options, either you first put a thin layer of gel and dip the tip/finger on your glitter, tap glently to make the excess glitter fall... and reply gel

or you mix your gel with you glitter, and apply them the way you usually do. (be carefull as you cannot mix the gel too fast or so because you gave to pay attention not to create air bubbles.)

Thanks for the options. If I were to mix the glitter with the gel first would I just dispense the required amount into another pot and mix together then. Sorry if that seems obvious.
Thanks

Hiyah

I add a scoop of gel into a clean dappen dish add a scoop of glitter into the dish stir gently with a coctail stick then apply, I find this method easier and also I do not waste alot of product.

hth
Sue :)

Hi Sue,

Thanks for info, sounds a good plan to me. I will try it out. The product wastage is a good point.

Thanks

I usually mix the gel with glitter. This way its unlikely to file the glitter off too much (free edge and sides).

Good way to mix uv gel is to use a painting knife and a mixing tile. You can buy painting knife from arts shop and use a dutchtile for mixing it. You kind of "press" the gel not mix...
picture.php

If you mix with coctail stick its more likely to get air bubbles in.

Other way is to put a thin coat of clear, tap glitter on with a brush, cure and then apply thicker coat of clear. I use this way only when i want to apply little glitter (eg. decorate french line).

Hope it helped :hug:

Last edited:
Yep, that helped. All advise gratefully received.

Thank You

i keep the dregs og a clear gel in its pot, scoop up a small amount of gel, dip into glitter an d apply ( make sure you clean your brush well after so you dont contaminate you good gel !)

Hiyah

I add a scoop of gel into a clean dappen dish add a scoop of glitter into the dish stir gently with a coctail stick then apply, I find this method easier and also I do not waste alot of product.

hth
Sue :)

I find this is the easiest way to do it, without getting mess all over the place.
Although you do have to mix the glitter in quite densely if you want it opaque, then apply it as thin as possible. Takes a bit of practice to get it just right.

Only difference is I store my glitter-gel mixes in little paint pots, so as not to waste any left overs, and always wind up with a little collection on hand and ready to go.
Like the paintpots found in paint-by-number kits, all attached together in a row? Plus I don't "make too much" because I'm limited by the space of the teensy pot:wink2:

hth's

I've read loads and loads of info on acrylics on this fab site on how to apply glitter to the tips and seached and read on UV Gels (which I do). I am asking for advice on how to apply glitter to a clear tip using UV gel? When I try and do it it seems to "glob" and not look good at all. After lots of filing and with another layer (at least of gel) it looks ok, but could be better.

Any advice from you experts out there, I seem to be making the same mistake again and again xx Thank You :rolleyes:
Have a search for tracey louise, she does some amazing glitter nails. I am dying to try her method of using a dotting tool dipped in the gel and then glitter, so it sounds like you dont have to have extra pots of different coloured glitter mixed with gel. HTH

I use a dotting tool to do glitter, i keep a separate pot of clear gel when using glitter too.

dip dotting tool into clear gel
then dip into glitter
make smile line
cure
builder layer
cure
wipe

Have a search for tracey louise, she does some amazing glitter nails. I am dying to try her method of using a dotting tool dipped in the gel and then glitter, so it sounds like you dont have to have extra pots of different coloured glitter mixed with gel. HTH
thanks doblush :hug:
i apply my glitter using my finish clear gel as its a thinner consistency to the builder gels as you dont want it to be to thick on the nail.use a seperate pot for glitter as you will get some glitter left in the gel.i use my dotting tool and pick up a bead of gel and then dip it in the my glitter and then apply it to the nail.i find using a dotting tool easier as the glitter doesnt go all over the nail.i then use a cockail/orange stick to neaten my smile line if i need to.hths.xx

I use a kit that uses a poofer to apply the glitter on the top of the gel that you want to gllitter.I used to mix it in a dappen dish but then what? throwing away gel that I can't use,pots of mixed gel everywhere!!---too expensive.Dipping works unless a client smushes the gel when dipping or if doing designs with the glitter gel.
I will have a video of me doing my toe on you tube today.
Jennifer

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a kit that uses a poofer to apply the glitter on the top of the gel that you want to gllitter.I used to mix it in a dappen dish but then what? throwing away gel that I can't use,pots of mixed gel everywhere!!---too expensive.Dipping works unless a client smushes the gel when dipping or if doing designs with the glitter gel.
I will have a video of me doing my toe on you tube today.
Jennifer

I do like the idea of using the poofers Nailnana. Does anybody know where you can get empty poofers in the UK?

I have googled it but cant seem to find anything.

Sorry to butt in on the thread to ask a similar question......
But I want to try my 1st go at sculpted gels with glitter on the tips, how much glitter should i put in the gel just for the tips??

***removed auction site link***

Convenient poofer to apply glitter with less mess and waste! No need to get glitter into that pot of gel or to premix glitter with gels and have a bunch of gels with glitter in it--can be expensive.Ultra fine glitters are applied onto the gel layer and because they are fine ,they are thin and smooth.One step gel for easy fast application-eveything you need in one affordable kit to do Glitter Toes,Nails and the French Revolution nail! If your gel nail underneath is shaped and filed smooth then you use the one step gel-like a coat of polish,let it settle a bit,cure it, then poof the glitter on the nail in a thin even coat(which the poofer is great for),cure again then apply UV gel topcoat or another coat of one step gel if you need the strength if doing an enhancement.This works over acrylic nails if you leave a coarse finish on the nail.This method is more like a gel polish then.When I do toes I do it like an enhancement with bonder and gel and UV topcoat.

Last edited:
***removed auction site link***[/URL]

Thanks NailNana, they are great but you dont do empty ones an you dont ship to the UK.

How many would you need and I can ship them to UK-they are refillable-my glitters are beautiful also and will be coming in many colors soon!! What besides the poofers would you need,let me know.
the poofers and 5 ml. wing jar with cover are $1.50usd each-minimum $10 order please-this is going on my site today!the wing jars are really nice if you like to pre-mix gel,glitter or acrlic powders and glitter too!!

your glitters look lovely nailnana.my only querey is what happens to the excess glitter from the nail and the towel as it looked like its quite messy and would be glitter wasted if you didnt pick it all back up? although i did like the end result of the nails.x

Latest posts

Back