Uv gel polish sliding off of nails?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollylolly

Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope that one of you great geeks can help.

I have a client that for the past 2 years, I have been overlaying her natural nail with acrylic and then using a UV gel polish to finish - the same colour. The reason I do her nails this way is that she likes them completly dry before she leaves me.

She was out in the cold queing for 1/2 hour and claims that her body temperature went down (altmost to the point of hypothermia) and when she eventually got into the warm, the gel just slid off of the nail in one piece (all 10 nails). The acrylic underneath was still perfect.

I know the bulbs in my lamp are ok as I have only just recently changed them, and the gel is only about 2 months old, plus I aways make sure I etch the acrylic to give a good adhesion.

Has this happened to anyone else? or does anyone know why this may have happened?.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Sally xx

Hi All,

I hope that one of you great geeks can help.

I have a client that for the past 2 years, I have been overlaying her natural nail with acrylic and then using a UV gel polish to finish - the same colour. The reason I do her nails this way is that she likes them completly dry before she leaves me.

She was out in the cold queing for 1/2 hour and claims that her body temperature went down (altmost to the point of hypothermia) and when she eventually got into the warm, the gel just slid off of the nail in one piece (all 10 nails). The acrylic underneath was still perfect.

I know the bulbs in my lamp are ok as I have only just recently changed them, and the gel is only about 2 months old, plus I aways make sure I etch the acrylic to give a good adhesion.

Has this happened to anyone else? or does anyone know why this may have happened?.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Sally xx

It hasn't happened to me but something must have affected the bond of the colour to the L&P.

I wouldn't offer to redo for nothing as it obviously has been caused by some outside influence that you could not control.

You have answered all the questions I was about to ask, bulbs etc., so I have no idea apart from the nail not being clean but I am sure you would have done that as well. How peculiar, it must be something to do with the temperature, maybe it was the acrylic that didn't like the weather, it doesn't like cold temperatures so maybe it hadn't cured properly and rejected the gel? Grasping at straws now!!! :biggrin:

ive only ever had problems with this when i havent left a rough enough surface on the acrylic or if the nails werent quite dry after cleansing them.

sounds like they were either undercured or somehow not bonded to the nail for them to 'slide' off. that would suggest they were never attatched in the first place. but sounds like you have done everything right. gel isnt cured by heat so the temperature shouldnt affect it. and if its never been a problem in the past? i only wonder if your cleanser was properly dry before you applied the gel if your room was colder than normal ? clutching at straws here, ha ha.

depends what she means by 'slide';)

love to know if you manage to solve this mystery.

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies, I was pretty sure that it was nothing that I had done, as my procedure is the same every time, and this has never happened before.

As this happened after 2 weeks of initially doing her nails, and over the Christmas period, it now makes me wonder if this client picked off the UV polish and was trying to get a free UV polish out of me (which she didn't).

Again, thank you for your replies.

Sally X

well 2 weeks on that would certainly not happen. if they were on, they were on !

scraped off most likely,

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant this happened on her way home from her appointment.

There is no way the gel would have stayed on and then after days 'slid' off! She is a picker! I am a picker and it takes one to know one!! :eek: She would have contacted you immediately so if she waited 2 weeks then she picked!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back