UV Lamp burns

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahnailz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Just a quick question. I attempted a set of gel overlays last night on myself for the first time and when I put my hand under my UV light, I felt a burning sensation and had to remove my hand promptly. I found that putting my hand so it's just inside light helped. Am I doing something wrong? I have my first client tomorrow night and wouldn't want to cause pain.

Thanks

Sarah xx

What system are you using? I remember having a Gel nail done at a trade show a couple of years back, and part of the process was to remove your finger after 5/10seconds, press it down on a hard surface (doesnt sound good straight away does it??) and then replace it back under the lamp to finish the cure!!!!

I use Brisa by CND and dont get that sensation at all. It could be something to do with the actual lamp although I am not sure, but Im sure a similar thread was posted a few days ago?? I will search for you.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Hun,
I have read your profile, it doesn't say if you are qualified in nails, are you qualified in Gels?
If you are mid training then ask your educator about the "Burning Sensation".
There are loads of threads on here about it, but really you should not be doing a client if you are not trained. Is she just a friend you are practising on? Then you should be OK after reading up on threads.
But if she is a paying client, be very careful as you probably don't have insurance. You have to be qualified to get insurance, or be in college training then you can get student insurance.
I don't want to upset you, just protect you.
Take care, and best wishes for the new baby arrival.
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

The heat spike you have experienced can be due to the system (many gels have a high heat spike) also the amount of gel you are applying to the nail. The thicker the gel the more heat you will feel. The condition of the natural nails also is important. The more damaged they are the more they will feel the result of the heat spike.

If you have trained with anyone reputable at all ... you would know these things.

I suggest you don't do anyones nails until you know at least the basics about the product you are working with and have the insurance to cover you.

I have to agree with both Poshfloss and Geeg!

Same as the answer I have just written on a thread 2 mins ago: it's not necessarily your fault but you need to know the answer to this problem before taking any paying clients! This is very basic knowledge so I would question your trainer as to the level of training you have been given :eek:

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear

Yes I have qualified. I am qualified in gels, acrylics, maintenance, airbrushing and nail art. I did these courses with essential nails!!!! It doesn't say anything in the course about heat spikes or tapping nails to rid the stinging sensation. I actually did my Mums and my Sisters nails last week and neither one of them complained about burning. It could be my nails because they are very thin due to badly removed acrylic extensions. My nails are like tissue paper and tear easily.

You guys have made me doubt my abilities. I think I will phone Sarah at essential nails tomorrow and double check on everything I need to know about dream gels.

Thanks for your help. I am not very PC lol how do I update my profile to say I have qualified?

xxxx

Hi Hun,
Well it will definately be the condition of your own nails causing you the heat spike problem.
I was taught to take nails out of lamp, and either press them down on top of lamp or top of desk for a few seconds, or you can tap the pads of fingers on a hard surface.
Think of it similar to microwave molecules wizzing around, the tapping or pressure stops that - then put back into lamp to cure for correct time.
Apply your 1st layer of gel very thin, thicker gel makes it happen more.
Then apply your brush on white for the tip, cure again, then another layer of Gel, this can now be a bit thicker, then finish with thin layer gel top coat, wipe off inibition layer if that is what your system has.
Hope this is of some help.
x x :hug: x x

Latest posts

Back