UV Lamp - Cancer link?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baselrod

Reaction score
Has anybody else seen articles in the press/magazines about the continuous use of UV lamps in artificial nails and this being linked with women diagnosed with skin cancer, there is mention that MMA is also being used but not currently banned in the UK (although I seem to note that most products these days are advertised as not containing MMA.

I currently use Bio Sculpture gel so the UV lamp is always used and I did ask the trainer at the time about the skin cancer risk and was assured that as the lamp is 9v it was not strong enough (and not used for a long enough time) to cause any damage?

A client showed me an article today and I simply repeated what I was told in training but ... just wondering

Any thoughts/views?

there was a thread already on this ...... it was such a stupid article.....a lot of us commented on the article that was on the newspapers website. The fact that your client has read the article and raised her concerns with you just proves how damaging these reports can be...luckily though she still came in to you. you did the right thing explaining to her what you were tought...so you must of came across very professional
i will try and find the thread for you

Oops! I did a quick search and didn't find anything - thanks for pointing me in the right direction! The client who pointed this out to me found the article in one of the glossies published this week! - more concerned if they are picking it up it will scare lots of people off from even asking for nail treatments in the first place - but then I guess if you believed everything the papers say you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning !
:)

It is ridiculous to say the least (far too early for swearing lol)
if you read all the replies you will get some great info to give your clients,
Collin has explained about the output from these lamps and how safe they are,
another well respected nail geek on here made a great suggestion about keeping sun block lotion on your desk for the clients who still believe the lamp could cause harm:rolleyes:, to make them feel better about using it, :hug:

You could also keep a tin foil hat on your desk - if a customer is worried about UV lamps, they may also be worried about radiation from electricity pylons! :lol:

Thanks guys! I think the tip about the sun block is a good one - people can't really be "afraid" after that, but I think I would wait for them to raise a concern rather than just use it as it may get them thinking there really is something "iffy" with the lamps (if you see what I mean)?!

I am learning so much from this site!

Thanks
Amanda x

There's something about this on Bio Sculpture website, in the news section. Shows their safety report. All safe! x

There's something about this on Bio Sculpture website, in the news section. Shows their safety report. All safe! x

there is more chance of having nasty problems from the big C by eating burnt toast than there is from using the UV lamps you guy's use :hug:

You could also keep a tin foil hat on your desk - if a customer is worried about UV lamps, they may also be worried about radiation from electricity pylons! :lol:
Can you pm me about what a tin foil hat is all about & radiation from electricity pylons? Also about anything else clients may be concerned about. :) Please, Thanks!

Even better make a step by step on the tinfoil-hat with pictures of you and Iryna wearing it in the next issue of your new magazine:green::green::green::green::green::green:

Latest posts

Back