Very anxious about new staff member

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hi geeks. So about a month ago one of my full timers left my salon to set up on her own above a hairdressers down the street from me. :(
That left me and another full time girl to work in the salon. I have been working 6 days a week in the salon and then coming home to do all the 'behind the scenes' work. Now I'm not complaining about this, but before, I had time off from the salon where I could do more marketing and make sure it ran really well while the 2 girls looked after it in those days. At the minute, I just don't have the head space to do all that.

Anyway, I have done interviews for another full time post and one girl has stood out for me. The problem is, I'm so worried and anxious about taking her on. In the past, I have employed people and they have turned out to be pretty grim and I have had to let them go. I just don't want to go through it again with another person. I'm so worried about it all and thinking 'what if she doesn't fit in', 'what I'd there isn't enough work for her' and because we r quiet at the minute, this is stressing me out even more. I know the only way to answer these questions is to try her, but im so worried about it not working out AGAIN and having to be horrible and tell her it's not working out and then tell the clients that another one has bit the dust. It's people's lives I am dealing with and I find it really difficult.

I do need another member if staff and I know it will take her time to build up her client list and she can bring things to the salon that we don't offer at the minute like acrylic nails.
I'm so torn and I know it's bad experiences that are holding me back. I really need some advice and pearls of wisdom from the geeks.
Thanks guys.

Do you know another salon owner? Why not call her back for a second interview? It's always good to get a second opinion.

You could also ask for extra (work related) references.

Could u maybe ask her 2 Do a trial day see how she goes

It is really tricky isn't it.

I interviewed a few therapists and one stood out to me, we brought her in on a trial day and she was really good. She has now worked for me for 3 months. Things have come to light over the 3 months, clumbsy ness being the main one shes a bit dippy here and there but not bad more so that you have to reminid her where shes put stuff. but also many positives have come out of it. She is the best retailer out of us, she is genuine, lovely and extremely helpful, very willing to learn and help out with everything.

Try out with a paid day, then if you think she'll be good offer her a 3 month trial, review it at every months so she has time to work on anything that needs to change. At the end of the 3 months you'll have a much better picture. Why not start her on part time with a view to extending her hours?

Good luck x

Have you asked for references? You could check up on those for a start. And like everyone else do a trail day. Then maybe a 3 month probationary period, where if your not happy she can just go without too much fuss? Most of my jobs have this period and seems like what you need? All the best xx

firstly how did your contract allow one of your staff to leave and set up down the road??

secondly, put the past behind you and think about the future! business is business so just get on with it! take someone on for a 2week trial and if they are no good explain nicely that its not working out.

what about taking on an apprentice, they do all the interviews for you when you tell them what you are looking for and just send you the ones they think would fit in to interview??also you get to train them as you would like them to be and its alot cheaper than a full member of staff. just something for you to think about?

do you do trade tests when you interview or is it just talking? and as said you could get someone else to do the interviews or at least a 2nd interview hth

You could also do a long probationary period e.g 6 months, which gives you plenty of time to assess and 'move on' quickly if necessary.
Another idea would be to ask friends/family to be secret shoppers for you so you know how their experiences have been.

firstly how did your contract allow one of your staff to leave and set up down the road??

secondly, put the past behind you and think about the future! business is business so just get on with it! take someone on for a 2week trial and if they are no good explain nicely that its not working out.

what about taking on an apprentice, they do all the interviews for you when you tell them what you are looking for and just send you the ones they think would fit in to interview??also you get to train them as you would like them to be and its alot cheaper than a full member of staff. just something for you to think about?

do you do trade tests when you interview or is it just talking? and as said you could get someone else to do the interviews or at least a 2nd interview hth

Taking on an apprentice is such a great idea yes. In fact, if you get in touch with your local college, you will be able to find out about the government incentives available if you haven't had an apprentice before. There are some fabulous new therapsits out there and you can afford to charge clients much less because you don't have to outlay too much on their wage. Might be a really good option to draw new clients at cheaper prices.

Latest posts

Back