Very Sore Nails - Advice Please Geeks...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Jenny~

Reaction score
Ok geeks, I need your advice.....

My mother in law has had the same nail tech for many years and as far as I am aware she uses creative products. Up until 2 (nearly 3) weeks ago she has never had a problem.

She mainly has natural nail overlays with l&p unless she breaks one, then a tip is also used.

Now, on the 5th october she had her nails done and overnight got an extremely bad reaction on all nails. They were red and inflamed around the cuticle area and along the side walls. I did not see them until today so have just been going by what she has told me.

When she phoned her nail tech to tell her about the problem she said that she had been having problems getting her powder from her usual supplier, which I find hard to believe if it was creative she was using, so she had to get some from a different supplier....I have no idea what product/s she has been using.

She then went round on the 19th to do the next maintenance appointment and the same thing has happened. As i've said I only got to see them today and they are still very very red, inflamed and extremely sore....goodness only knows how they must've felt on tuesday morning when she woke up.

I asked to send a photo to me so I could upload it here for you to see, she has taken a picture of her thumb and the least inflamed which I know may not be very helpful but it'll give you an idea....

She has been advised to remove them by a doctor but as she doesn't want to pick them off as advised by said doctor she has left them as is....there has been no sign of the nail tech and the only thing she has said is that its contact dermatitis.

I feel that it a pretty poor show that the nail tech has not been round to look at them or even phoned to see if they are ok, so although its not my responsibility i feel as though I should help.

My question is...what is the best way to remove them without aggrevating the surrounding skin at all? i need to be able to only touch the nail if possible.

EDIT: I'm having trouble uploading the pic, I have made the file size very small but its still says no! So sorry there is no pic yet!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your quick reply....

I have asked my MIL to come over in the morning so that I can remove them as safely and pain free as possible. I had thought using the foil method would probably be best...I think i'm just so worried as she is in so much pain, I really don't want to make it worse.

Is there anything I could do after removal to help?

xx

Fi, are you thinking like me that it could be over exposure? This can happen over time if the skin is repeatedly exposed to product. It's a downright shame that the tech isn't taking responsibility for this. I'd give her a call and make sure she takes a longer look. Just a thought.

Nope, the doctor hasn't given her anything.

I'm very suprised that even though there was a problem at the maintenance appointment a couple of weeks ago she continued happily this Monday just gone....

Once the removal has been done, do you think it would be ok to do something like a natural nail overlay with silk/fibreglass? She is used to having something over her nails and I think she would be unhappy about having natural nails without an overlay.

xx

I totally agree with what you are saying, My inital feeling when seeing how sore they were was indeed to leave it until they had settled back down but thought i'd put the question out there to see what others thought because I just know when she's sat having them removed she's going to ask me to overlay them because she likes the added strength....

Again, thank you so much for your advise...this is what I love about this site!! xx

I'd let the skin settle and mayby ovrlay with gel.
I'd also make sure you don't use any files that have been used with l&p,using 'l&p used' files flares up my overexposure.
:hug:

I know this, is prob wont help much but I know I have been trained with CND products so therefore have only ever used them on my own hands, however, I did try NSI monomer and polymer, for a month or so, as is alot cheaper, but I have had so many problems, sore fingers, so fast setting, you have to press harder etc etc,, in the long run cost me more. I have gone back to CND. MY point being is I am a new tech and exp probs wit new system,,all L&P systems are NOT the same some are keratin bonding some are not, some requrie fast working some not,, it takes a skilled tech to know and observe these things,,,which I am not,,hence my red nails lol xxxxx

The symptoms you have described is an allergic reaction - which would more than likely have been caused by over exposure (defined as repeated and prolonged exposure above levels specified as safe by regulatory agencys) in the case of monomer this means ANY contact with soft tissue - skin.

The redness and pain is the bodys release of histamines to help combat the 'attack' the body thinks it is suffering. Unfortunatly if this is the case there is no cure. And every time her body comes in contact with the ingredient the body is reacting to the same thing will happen.

All I can suggest is take the enhancements off and if the pain and redness is uncomfortable an antihistamine (hayfever) tablet will buy her 24 hours of releif.

The only future options for your Mother in law is now:
a) go to a better tech that does not cause overexposure
b) the above tech to be using a very low irritant product such as CND BRiSA...

Hope that helps...

I have explained the problem to my mother in law and unfortunately it feels to me like its falling on deaf ears...

I have also emailled the link below to read the info for herself -

The Encyclopedia of Nails - Google Books

She phoned me last night and said that when her tech visits her again on Monday she is going to ask her to file down the bulk of the product, let them grow out and have them polished.

The nail tech has still not been to see the extent of the damage. She has not called to check how they are....she is just happy to turn up, do the nails and be on her merry way.

I'm getting really angry about the whole thing now because i'm now hearing stories of her being unreliable, heavy handed and has a couldn't care less attitude.....and yet when I offer to take over the job I get from my Sister in Law 'well, mum wants someone who knows what they are doing, someone who will be available every other monday without fail' I feel really insulted, I have been doing nails and beauty for over 10 years now and really pride myself on doing a good job, using the best products available to me and providing my clients with the best possible service I can.

Sorry for rambling....thanks for listening (reading!)

xx

Latest posts

Back