Vinylux Top Coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty*Rox

Reaction score
Hello ladies

I'm loving the new vinylux polish but I do have one bug bear, the top coat!

When I open a new bottle it goes on like a dream but once it gets about half way down (I think its about half way as I cant see how much product is left in the bottle exactly) its thick to the point that its so unforgiving, its so gluppey that it forms strings when wiping on the neck of the bottle! I'm finding that at this point I'm opening a new bottle and wasting so much of the product.

I know this does happen with most top coats over time but its really only when its down to the last dregs. Is there anything I can do? Could I add some polish thinner? or would this affect the wear?

I shake the hell out of it before use and I store my products away at room temperature.

Help!! :)

I'm having the same issue... :-(

Ditto. Although I actually have no idea how much I've used as I can't see in! Would love some advice as to what cnd recommend....x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Exactly the same problem here - I was blaming the heat over the recent weeks when I threw what felt like a half empty bottle away yesterday :(

Hello ladies

I'm loving the new vinylux polish but I do have one bug bear, the top coat!

When I open a new bottle it goes on like a dream but once it gets about half way down (I think its about half way as I cant see how much product is left in the bottle exactly) its thick to the point that its so unforgiving, its so gluppey that it forms strings when wiping on the neck of the bottle! I'm finding that at this point I'm opening a new bottle and wasting so much of the product.

I know this does happen with most top coats over time but its really only when its down to the last dregs. Is there anything I can do? Could I add some polish thinner? or would this affect the wear?

I shake the hell out of it before use and I store my products away at room temperature.

Help!! :)

Instead if binning it why don't you open a second bottle and decant half into it then shake it up so it lasts longer? Bit fiddly but saves on wastage. I used to do it all the time with regular top coat so can't see why it wouldn't work with Vinylux

HTH
Samantha
xoxo

Samantha
xoxo
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek iPhone app

Oh no! Well that's not what we want to hear... :(

The good news is that it doesn't have to be this way. You should be able to use Vinylux Colour and Weekly Top Coat down to the last drop, just like any CND product, without having a gooey bit at the end to throw away.
Remember to shake your bottle every time you use Vinylux Colour or Weekly Top Coat -and I don't mean roll it between your palms or give it a light agitate back and forth - you have to really shake it, like a can of spray paint! The ingredients must be thoroughly blended together before uses, otherwise we use up the more liquidy solvents and leave the thicker ingredients at the bottom of the bottle.
The other key is not leaving the lid off longer than it needs to be over the course of the life of the bottle.

If you have bottles that have NOT been shaken every time they have been used (harder to be sure of is you work in a salon team rather than as an individual sole trader) put some kind of distinguishing mark on the bottle so you know this will be the bottle that will have a gooey bit that goes in the bin. Shake all your new bottles EVERY TIME and you should get full life span from the product!!

*** EDIT - CORRECTION, PLEASE READ POST NO.31 IN THIS THREAD ***

It's important to give clients a little lesson in this to if they buy Vinylux retail, but remember, they are not pros and will inevitably leave the lid off for longer periods of time too (or others in their household will!) - it's very difficult to get a client to use the Weekly Top Coat down to the last drop, so I wouldn't make that claim to them in the first place.

Last edited:
Instead if binning it why don't you open a second bottle and decant half into it then shake it up so it lasts longer? Bit fiddly but saves on wastage. I used to do it all the time with regular top coat so can't see why it wouldn't work with Vinylux

Samantha, if this works for you that's cool, but I want to tell you why CND wouldn't recommend this with ANY liquid product, ever.

Any product that is a liquid will change over time. Solvents evaporate leaving behind ingredients that don't evaporate. So when the bottle is near the end of it's life it's formula is different to that of a brand new bottle - mixing the two together only contaminates the new product and it will lose it's solvents faster than it would have done otherwise - definitely giving you a gooey bit that is not saveable.

If you have a gooey bottle of Vinylux, bin it. Start afresh with a new bottle following the instructions in my post above and the problem should be prevented from arising in the first place.

Last edited:
Samantha, if this works for you that's cool, but I want to tell you why CND wouldn't recommend this with ANY liquid product, ever.

Any product that is a liquid will change over time. Solvents evaporate leaving behind ingredients that don't evaporate. So when the bottle is near the end of it's life it's formula is different to that of a brand new bottle - mixing the two together only contaminates the new product and it will lose it's solvents faster than it would have done otherwise - definitely giving you a gooey bit that is not saveable.

If you have a gooey bottle of Vinylux, bin it. Start afresh with a new bottle following the instructions in my post above and the problem should be prevented from arising in the first place.

I've not actually done it myself with Vinylux only in the past with regular top coats so thanks for clearing that up Fee! :)

Sorry to the OP for incorrect advice ://

I will not be trying this lol :) xoxo

Samantha
xoxo
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek iPhone app

I've not actually done it myself with Vinylux only in the past with regular top coats so thanks for clearing that up Fee! :)

Sorry to the OP for incorrect advice ://

I will not be trying this lol :) xoxo

Hey no worries, that's what SG is all about, sharing experiences and trying to help each other :)

I was going to do a post the same as this this morning as I too am experiencing the same problems. I have been using my vinylux while away at a caravan, and the top coat had fine stringy bits as I pulled it out of the bottle, I thought it was due to being close to a window (bit tricky to avoid in a caravan!) it was really thick and gloopy. I had stored it away from light and heat. The colour coat was fine-but then the pro light technology is in the top coat! Perhaps more vigorous shaking is in order for me then.

I think a peelable cover would be great on this so we can take a peek at how much is left inside and then stick it back down lol. Thank you Fee. Will give it a really good shake with the new bottle and let you know the results :) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's the same with my shellac top coat but I find if you place it discreetly between your legs to warm it whilst doing the colour coat the consistency is much better. Give it a go .

Oh no! Well that's not what we want to hear... :(

The good news is that it doesn't have to be this way. You should be able to use Vinylux Colour and Weekly Top Coat down to the last drop, just like any CND product, without having a gooey bit at the end to throw away.
Remember to shake your bottle every time you use Vinylux Colour or Weekly Top Coat -and I don't mean roll it between your palms or give it a light agitate back and forth - you have to really shake it, like a can of spray paint! The ingredients must be thoroughly blended together before uses, otherwise we use up the more liquidy solvents and leave the thicker ingredients at the bottom of the bottle.
The other key is not leaving the lid off longer than it needs to be over the course of the life of the bottle.

If you have bottles that have NOT been shaken every time they have been used (harder to be sure of is you work in a salon team rather than as an individual sole trader) put some kind of distinguishing mark on the bottle so you know this will be the bottle that will have a gooey bit that goes in the bin. Shake all your new bottles EVERY TIME and you should get full life span from the product!!

It's important to give clients a little lesson in this to if they buy Vinylux retail, but remember, they are not pros and will inevitably leave the lid off for longer periods of time too (or others in their household will!) - it's very difficult to get a client to use the Weekly Top Coat down to the last drop, so I wouldn't make that claim to them in the first place.

Thanks for the advise Wee Fee :)

I have been shaking it very very well before each application to the point my arm hurts and my clients laugh at me lol, due to the thickness happening so quickly in the first bottle I've been extra vigilant, but it hasn't made any difference :sad:

I remember watching a youtube video (I think it was one of Holly's) about a machine that you can put your bottle in and it vibrates and separates all those important ingredients. I've just spent a while looking for it and cant flipppin find it! Anyone know the name of the machine I'm talking about? ....Keep it clean ladies ;)

It's the same with my shellac top coat but I find if you place it discreetly between your legs to warm it whilst doing the colour coat the consistency is much better. Give it a go .

Yup I also use that trick with Shellac Top Coat ;) but alas it doesn't seem to work with the Vinylux.

Thanks for the advise Wee Fee :)

I have been shaking it very very well before each application to the point my arm hurts and my clients laugh at me lol, due to the thickness happening so quickly in the first bottle I've been extra vigilant, but it hasn't made any difference :sad:

I remember watching a youtube video (I think it was one of Holly's) about a machine that you can put your bottle in and it vibrates and separates all those important ingredients. I've just spent a while looking for it and cant flipppin find it! Anyone know the name of the machine I'm talking about? ....Keep it clean ladies ;)

Here's the link http://www.robart.com/store/nail-polish-shakers you have to buy from the states. Don't forget you will be billed for import duty after it arrives. For me personally its worth it.

I stick a clean cocktail stick into an unshaken bottle to check the levels left :)

You absolutely definitely do not have to use a bottle shaker. CND advise against it, the process loosens your bottle cap giving you a mess round the neck of the bottle.
Holly's suggestion of using the bottle shaker was a great idea! We'd never had a product that needed shaken like CND Shellac does. But now it has been tested by CND in the lab, it has proved totally unnecessary.

I was going to do a post the same as this this morning as I too am experiencing the same problems. I have been using my vinylux while away at a caravan, and the top coat had fine stringy bits as I pulled it out of the bottle, I thought it was due to being close to a window (bit tricky to avoid in a caravan!) it was really thick and gloopy. I had stored it away from light and heat. The colour coat was fine-but then the pro light technology is in the top coat! Perhaps more vigorous shaking is in order for me then.

Stringy bits are due to more than just not blending ingredients properly I reckon. Ambient light activating the pro-light technology seems more likely.

I have never had this happen myself, not even in pre-production batches. I am going to seek clarification from R&D and come back to you all with advice on this.

Stand by!

Stringy bits are due to more than just not blending ingredients properly I reckon. Ambient light activating the pro-light technology seems more likely.

I have never had this happen myself, not even in pre-production batches. I am going to seek clarification from R&D and come back to you all with advice on this.

Stand by!

I'm suffering from stringy bits in my Vinylux topcoat too.. thought it was just the heat... would love to know if it's something I'm doing wrong though :rolleyes:

You absolutely definitely do not have to use a bottle shaker. CND advise against it, the process loosens your bottle cap giving you a mess round the neck of the bottle.
Holly's suggestion of using the bottle shaker was a great idea! We'd never had a product that needed shaken like CND Shellac does. But now it has been tested by CND in the lab, it has proved totally unnecessary.

Hmmm...I have been using this shaker for about 6 months now and have found it fantastic. I was starting to (seriously) get damage in my elbow from shaking so many bottles a day. I personally have not found any tops coming loose during the shaking.

I'm not sure I quite understood your post above - is shaking now not necessary? Sorry - it's late and has been a long day :)

Latest posts

Back