Vinylux Top Coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm...I have been using this shaker for about 6 months now and have found it fantastic. I was starting to (seriously) get damage in my elbow from shaking so many bottles a day. I personally have not found any tops coming loose during the shaking.

I'm not sure I quite understood your post above - is shaking now not necessary? Sorry - it's late and has been a long day :)

Don't you worry, long days all round! :)

Shaking CND Shellac and Vinylux bottles is most definitely necessary!
What I'm saying is investing in and using a separate piece of equipment to shake it for you is unnecessary. But hey, if it works for you that's cool, especially if you have been using your shaker without any problems.

But for those of you not currently using a shaker - investing in one will not magically fix any problems you may be having. 4-5 seconds of vigorous shaking by hand will be plenty!

Here's the link http://www.robart.com/store/nail-polish-shakers you have to buy from the states. Don't forget you will be billed for import duty after it arrives. For me personally its worth it.

Hi 2 questions
1 is it available in Canada?
2 how big is it?

My oh is going over to Canada in may so I was going to ask him to get me one :) ( if I can wait that long)
X

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I didn't think you could shake bottles? I've always been taught to never shake a bottle as it leaves air bubbles and to roll it between your palms instead x

With other brands of polish this may well be the case, I can only speak for CND products, and both CND Shellac and Vinylux MUST be shaken before use, rolling is not adequate to blend the ingredients. If you don't you will get a list of problems as long as your arm, not least a thick bit at the bottom of the bottle you can't use.

Thanks for all the advice :) I'm obviously doing something wrong as some of you are having no problems with the top coat thickening, I just wish I knew what it was!

I'm shaking it really well, always make sure my lid is on nice and tight straight after application, the only other thing I can think of is how I store it, I run a home salon and I'm also mobile, while at home its stored in a cupboard away from sunlight and the room is relatively cool as I keep the blinds drawn and windows open, when I'm mobile I have a little cool bag I store them in on hot days, so I guess it coming up against different temperature changes on certain days. Not alot I can do about that :(

Also I wonder why the top coat doesn't have the little balls in like the colours have, wondering if this would help too when shaking it.

I don't believe I'm shaking as well as some people are, but Artyrox is shaking it well and is still having the same problems. It's like little thin strands when I pull the brush out of the bottle. I wondered too why there aren't the little silver balls-I figured there is a very good reason why!

I'm having the same problem.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Mine has gone bad too from my summer brights pinkie set , only been used a handful of times if that :( stringy and jelly like . Put me off getting more pinkie sets in for retailing incsae the top coats in those become unusable after so few uses .

Hi 2 questions
1 is it available in Canada?
2 how big is it?

My oh is going over to Canada in may so I was going to ask him to get me one :) ( if I can wait that long)
X

I don't know if its available in Canada why not email them to find out?
It's 14cm square so it sits on the corner of my desk behind my CND lamp quite nicely.

I don't know if its available in Canada why not email them to find out?
It's 14cm square so it sits on the corner of my desk behind my CND lamp quite nicely.

Thank you I shall do that x

Ladies and Gentlemen of SG, I have to apologies. Earlier in this thread I gave you some incorrect information. I've been in touch with one of CND's senior research chemists over the past couple of days and I realise I had some wrong information. I'm very sorry, I've been more than a little upset about it and I hope I've not totally confused anyone - that's the opposite of my goal here!
So here's the deal:

- Vinylux Colour needs to be shaken to blend the ingredients together prior to application (just like CND Shellac does).

- Vinylux Weekly Top Coat DOES NOT require to be shaken (that's why it doesn't contain any little BBs, there is no need to blend the formula, it stays blended - great observation Jenfleur!).

Now I have been assured that shaking the Top Coat causes no problems (of course I've been shaking mine since I first started using it pre launch date and have never experienced one problem with it). The only problem with shaking the Vinylux Weekly Top Coat is that it's a waste of your time - what we know now is that shaking it will not solve the problems some of you have been describing in this thread, and that's what I advised you, so once again my apologies.

So what is causing this frustrating problem??!!

One of the main design briefs for CND Vinylux was that it be quick drying, and it's one of the things we love most about it! But this brought about important questions in product development, i.e, how fast do you want it to be? Polish dries because solvents evaporate leaving the solids behind. When solvents evaporate they are turning from a liquid into a gas, we call this the evolution of the solvent. So how fast evolving a solvent do we want??
CND settled on a solvent which evolves at a rate that allows up to apply with ease and then have the benefits of it drying quickly - everybody happy. But herein lies the issue - if the lid is off the bottle for longer than it should be (those of us who apply slowly) and if it's very hot in our working area while we are using it (like it has been with this crazy hot summer) and there is bright visible light beaming into your open bottle of Vinylux Weekly Top Coat..... the problems some of you describe could be understandable!

If your bottle has become stringy and gooey you can't save it (Boooooo!)
Here is a check list to prevent it from happening to any new bottles.

- Get into the habit of applying quickly and cleanly (it's a polish after all, not Shellac! we ain't got all day!).
- Replace the lid properly after every use.
- Regulate the temperature in your working area (as you should for any nail service, we don't do nails in the conservatory, not under any circumstances)
- If you have a bright table lamp, as most of us do, remember that Vinylux Weekly Top Coat utilises ProLight Technology, it get's tougher in ambient visible light (our only product that does btw..). Do not leave your open Top Coat bottle right under the bright light, keep it off to the side.

Now that I have all this typed out, it seems soooo obvious! Again, apologies for the incorrect info earlier. Good luck everyone, I believe these steps will put an end to the 'stringy/gooey' problem. Let me know how it goes!

Ladies and Gentlemen of SG, I have to apologies. Earlier in this thread I gave you some incorrect information. I've been in touch with one of CND's senior research chemists over the past couple of days and I realise I had some wrong information. I'm very sorry, I've been more than a little upset about it and I hope I've not totally confused anyone - that's the opposite of my goal here!
So here's the deal:

- Vinylux Colour needs to be shaken to blend the ingredients together prior to application (just like CND Shellac does).

- Vinylux Weekly Top Coat DOES NOT require to be shaken (that's why it doesn't contain any little BBs, there is no need to blend the formula, it stays blended - great observation Jenfleur!).

Now I have been assured that shaking the Top Coat causes no problems (of course I've been shaking mine since I first started using it pre launch date and have never experienced one problem with it). The only problem with shaking the Vinylux Weekly Top Coat is that it's a waste of your time - what we know now is that shaking it will not solve the problems some of you have been describing in this thread, and that's what I advised you, so once again my apologies.

So what is causing this frustrating problem??!!

One of the main design briefs for CND Vinylux was that it be quick drying, and it's one of the things we love most about it! But this brought about important questions in product development, i.e, how fast do you want it to be? Polish dries because solvents evaporate leaving the solids behind. When solvents evaporate they are turning from a liquid into a gas, we call this the evolution of the solvent. So how fast evolving a solvent do we want??
CND settled on a solvent which evolves at a rate that allows up to apply with ease and then have the benefits of it drying quickly - everybody happy. But herein lies the issue - if the lid is off the bottle for longer than it should be (those of us who apply slowly) and if it's very hot in our working area while we are using it (like it has been with this crazy hot summer) and there is bright visible light beaming into your open bottle of Vinylux Weekly Top Coat..... the problems some of you describe could be understandable!

Here is a check list to prevent it from happening to any new bottles.

- Get into the habit of applying quickly and cleanly (it's a polish after all, not Shellac! we ain't got all day!).
- Replace the lid properly after every use.
- Regulate the temperature in your working area (as you should for any nail service, we don't do nails in the conservatory, not under any circumstances)
- If you have a bright table lamp, as most of us do, remember that Vinylux Weekly Top Coat utilises ProLight Technology, it get's tougher in ambient visible light (our only product that does btw..). Do not leave your open Top Coat bottle right under the bright light, keep it off to the side.

Now that I have all this typed out, it seems soooo obvious! Again, apologies for the incorrect info earlier. Good luck everyone, I believe these steps will put an end to the 'stringy/gooey' problem. Let me know how it goes!

OMG Fee, who knew?! My first Vinylux top coat went a little stringy too, which I assumed was down to lazy under-shaking, but it is clear now that it is likely to have been reacting with my desk lamp - logically, it makes total sense! It was natural to draw the conclusion that we needed to shake the bottles to blend the ingredients (as we do with Shellac), but I love that you took the time to go to R&D with this and to get the correct information for our SG community - kudos to you! :*

Silly question alert! What does R & D stand for?

Silly question alert! What does R & D stand for?

No such thing as a silly question! :)

R&D = Research and Development

No such thing as a silly question! :)

R&D = Research and Development

Thanks. I've seen it before on posts and just couldn't work it out.

Could we use a polish thinner at all? Obviously would affect the dry time but what about wear? I might just use a couple of drops so I can use the rest of the bottle on my own toes! x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wee Fee, that's great information. I don't feel so bad shaking it now and can now stop shaking the new one like a mad woman!! I am probably slower than some applying which would allow more "airtime" to the bottle, and using in a caravan where light is flooding in from all angles would explain it. However I'm still a little disappointed that this happened on the first use in the van, the lid was not off an excessive time before I noticed that it was going stringy (it was after a couple of nails) does this mean that I cannot use my polishes in the van for fear of ruining my topcoat? Surely it wouldn't happen this quick?

Thank you for looking into this and getting back to us Fee :biggrin:

I'll try and be faster in my application, this may have been the cause, I also have a daylight lamp and from now on with daytime clients I think i'll turn it off for top coat application and use the natural light of the room (my room has pretty good lighting without my lamp). My arm thanks you for not have to shake it like a mad woman anymore!

I've just opened a new bottle so I'll let you know how I get on.

Has anyone had any feedback from clients about their top coat?

I can't imagine that they are as quick or careful with their application as a professional, and thus more likely to encounter the thickening quicker. Especially in the pinkies set.

Latest posts

Back