Wages Problems - Greedy Owners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I don't think I explained it fully enough...almost every salon was asking for NVQ3, but when I visited as a client to pick up a price list and get a feel for the place, not all of them had Level 3 treatments to offer. I am familiar with the content of Level 3, I was accepted onto the programme before I declined :)

Still, finally found a great salon to work at, so problem over :) Just very irritating to have a bevy of qualifications and experience in other fields that is useful in the beauty industry, only to be denied the chance of an interview because I don't have the holy grail of beauty qualifications, Level 3 :)

I know this, it was just so frustrating for Salons to be demanding NVQ 3 and X years experience to carry out treatments I'm already qualified and proficient in. I am in no way disputing NVQ3 as a valuable qualification, and didn't mean to offend anyone who's studied hard to gain them. It just wasn't the best option for me, I had no interest in the course matter and wanted to go down a more holistic route...which unfortunately, they didn't do as an NVQ 3!

My apologies if I've offended anyone :hug:

Hi there.

There is an nvq level 3 in Holistic Therapies. I have done it.

I cant seem to follow what you are saying.
Are you saying you dont want to do level 3 in beauty?? You could always do level 3 in Holistics id you wanted to go down the holistic route.

You say you are doing a degree. Which one are you doing.?

:hug: x

Hi there.

There is an nvq level 3 in Holistic Therapies. I have done it.

I cant seem to follow what you are saying.
Are you saying you dont want to do level 3 in beauty?? You could always do level 3 in Holistics id you wanted to go down the holistic route.

You say you are doing a degree. Which one are you doing.?

:hug: x

Hi Lavender :)

I'm doing the foundation degree in Complementary Therapy through Salford Uni. That's right, I didn't want to do the Level 3 in beauty because the treatments that I'd be qualified in, I had no interest in! I don't know what it is, just the thought of performing the treatments bores me to death, lol.

They didn't offer the Holistics NVQ3 part time at my local college...not sure they offered it at all actually. I live on my own so have to work full time to pay the mortgage like most other twentysomethings :green: So a full time course wasn't an option.

I've always wanted to do a degree, so with the Ucas points I have with my A levels, it made sense to do the degree part time, rather than a full time level 3 in holistics, possibly at a college further away from me.

How did you find the Level 3 Holistics, Lavender? What kind of things did you study? Sounds great :)

I did the Holistic level 3 course 4 years ago.

We covered Reflexology, Aromatherapy, Indian Head Massage, Holistic Facials, Swedish Massage, Counselling by a therapist, Nutrition,communication, plus all the sciences that go with it, and business planning, and of course Anatomy and Physiology.
I had already done a year of A&P , so when I did the holistic course I only had to do 1 more year of A&P and I had the Diploma in a&p rather than just the certificate.
I found it very intense, there was a lot of case studies in Aromatherapy and Reflexology, and a lot of home study.
I then went on to do the Advanced Level 3 in Reflexology for 1 year. Now that was intense. There were a LOT more case studies to do, plus more medication knowledge, more ailments, diseases , and more a&p :eek: which was more specific to reflexology.

To be honest you are NEVER 'DONE' , as there are new things to learn all the time. It is the type of profession that requires you to keep learning whatever your standard of education or prior knowledge you have! Like nails or hairdressing, you never stop learning, and never should , because there is always someone more qualified and experienced than you are.

EXPERIENCE is everything. Just because you are 'qualified' does NOT mean you are experienced enough to do the job with complete competence.

Always remember tho that If your clients 'like you,' and you have a pleasant personality, and you treat them like they are the best thing since sliced bread, they will choose you above your competitors. To the majority of clients it dosent matter about your credentials, if you are competent, confident, qualified to do the job in hand and they like you - thats all they ask for.

If you join the Federation of Holistic Therapists or another professional organisation, it will tell the client that you are qualified in what you do anyway, as you are required to submit a copy of your qualifications to get insured.

Anyway I know that was long winded, but I hope it has helped you.

:hug:

what do people on average earn,,,and is this bumped up with commisson. We pay a basic of between £210-£280 depending experience but nearly everyone always earns more with there commisson so they can earn upwards of £420 - while we also pay our manager a seperate managers wage on top. This is a hair salon though, so i don't know if its different in the beauty sector

im paid just above the minimum wages after tax etc i bring home £200 a week, i love my job i love that no two days r the same and u meet new people everyday too, i only work in a small hair salon but its not one that brings in loads of money because the area i live in u cant charge loads of money if u charge people too much they just wont pay it, its nothing to do with how qualified i am its just the way it is

i have a great boss and she is good to "us" the employees because we treat her with respect and we comunicate well, if i felt like i wasnt being treated right or unfairly then i wouldnt be in the job

i think alot of fair points have been made and im sure there are salon owners that dnt pay minimum wage etc, but on the other hand there are fab bosses/salon owners out there that make our job enjoyable and easy to do

What an interesting topic.

While employed you will never get paid what you think you are worth but only what your boss thinks you are worth.

If an owner thinks you can be replaced easily - you'll get low wages. If the owner thinks that you're worth keeping - you'll notice something else.

Here are the choices as I see them:
  1. Put up with what you are getting paid.
  2. Leave (for another salon, another industry, your own business).
  3. Make yourself appear more valuable to the boss so you can command a higher wage.

wow what a lively thread! My 2 pennies worth would be that SOME (not all, i never generalise) salon owners need to educate themselves on current qualifications. Took me and the girls on my course a loooooong time to sort out our work placements because hardly any salons in our area knew what a BTEC was. Many of us had go much farther afield.

Also, paying NMW is just another way of saying 'I'd pay you less if I could'.... and my feeling is that applies to any industry, certainly not just ours!

The amount of trainning beauty therapist and hairdressers have to do in relation to the pay is ridiculous! salon owners should pay the employees more and if they are not making money then maybe the should not own a business?

All business owners make out they earn nothing yeah right

oh my goodness! i think the reply to weegirl's post was a tad harsh and she has a valid point. obviously business owners get paid more as they are the ones taking the risks and paying the bills. it is as a sad fact that a lot of people in this industry don't get the pay they deserve. after all it is a lot of years training for some people. i think what she is trying to say is that there are a few unscrupulous owners out there who take advantage of their staff. i'm a great beliver though in, if you treat your staff with respect and reward them for their hard work then you get it back in bucketloads. i am due to open my salon soon and i can't tell you how many people have asked when i am opening as they are unhappy in their jobs and are treated like skivvies and want to leave. so there you go-if you treat your staff badly you will get no loyalty from them. it also creates a bad atmosphere in the salon. i agree with weegirl but i also think salon owners have a great responsibilty and should be paid accordingly. as for the flash car-can't wait to upgrade my skoda!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back