Want to buy mma?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the pic.
View attachment 37914
Would you want this to happen to one of your clients?
Would you want to be sued for this, knowing the information you have been given.
If you still want to go ahead, more fool you.
You have spent good money on training, been given plenty of information during your training, gained further information during your career and yet you still seem to think it is ok to go ahead with something which is just plain wrong.
Just remember that when these clients with badly damaged nails return to you to complain and possibly sue you, it will be in front of other clients in the salon.
You may not be able to claim from your insurance as you are (more than likely like the rest of us) only insured for products you are TRAINED to use. You will not have received a certificate for applying enhancements using an mma monomer.

Please please just go back to the drawing board and alter your technique and also explain to the clients in question that they have to treat their enhancements with more care. They are not tools etc.

Thats a fake pic. Its been going around facebook forever but was actually created for a halloween style thing i believe!

Yes, it's fake.

The 'we' on here ( whoever they are) have asked far more shocking questions, basic stuff that should be on day 1 of a course. I find the acceptance of very short courses (1 day or 5 days for mani, pedi, all systems AND nail art for example) far more shocking!

On a more practical note if MMA is not suitable or approved for nail enhancements and you use it would that not make your insurance null and void? You need to really think about that as if you do serious damage to someone's nails and they sue then you will be in deep s**t!! Think about your reputation and yes you may get one or 2 people saying they are having lifting but what about all the clients that are not they are also spreading good word about your business. They may think they want these nails at all costs but once they feel the pain they will soon realise you were right. I have had my nails over buffed and while the enhancements were on it was fine but the moment they were removed it was hell. Just think very carefully before you head down a slippery slope as if one person shows another the damaged caused by heaving filling and using MMA you might as well shut your door as the word will spread like a fire in petrol station.

Also you have stated on another thread that you are experiencing lifting on acrylics when using young nails gel polish so maybe you need to sit down thoroughly and look at your prep and application it may be something very simple

I'm not even going to comment to her as I think it's a waste of time when she doesn't want to know Or care about the damage she will inflict on her clients - for everyone else: all I can say is .... OMG is this girl serious ...!!! ... What qualified & insured therapist would seriously want to get MMA and void their insurance and be potentially setting them selves up ... !!! ... Iv had clients go and get MMA nails done then come back and say how right I was and never again ... !!!

Geeg: saw that you wrote " ........double or even tripel prime as they do in some salons....." As it was a bad thing. I use YN and we were told to double prime, seems to work for me. I am just not sure if it should be a dry or wet? Så if anyone could help me withvthat one maybe?
A little off topic I know, but what do you think Geeg; is it this bad practice?

Actually, MMA monomer is not banned in the USA; it is used extensively in many industries it is not however an approved product for use in the nail industry.

When you think how many thousand upon thousands of women have their nails done with approved products, and they are not having the issues you are having; I think you have to look at the level of your education, experience and skill before sinking to the lowest level of the industry to solve your difficulties.

yes, we all know what is in other branded approved products as the ingredients are listed on the MSDS which by law you should have in your possession for insurance purposes. You don't need a doctorate in chemistry to understand that information. Branded nail products are not 'bad' and some are way better than others. My nails are decent just not as strong as I would like them to be; hence why I wore enhancements for more than 25 years before switching to Shellac. Even after 25 years my nails were in good shape because I took care of them and used a great brand.

I'm tempted to think, listening to your responses, that you are here to just waste peoples' time or have a laugh ... you sure don't seem to be here to learn anything and it is obvious from reading your responses that you really have not had any kind of good nail education.

Ignoring the silly text ... this is the end result of using drills badly plus MMA and incorrect removal. Even if your clients want it ... do you want to be responsible for butchery like this?

picture.php

Think I might put this picture on my fb wall! Cannot believe some people still think this kind of service is acceptable! X

Wow, just wow.

Ignorance on so many levels.

No one has been harsh. Everyone has stated facts but because you have made your mind up you have decided thats the route you want to take you have gotten all defensive.

You may not have asked for opinions but it wouln't be a very good PROFESSION NAIL FORUM if you didn't get people trying to warn you against what is extremely bad for your clients nails and what will be horrendously bad for your business.

With an attitude as blase and ignorant as that you are goign to find yourself in a lot of trouble.

The Truth Behind the Controversy
Doug Schoon, M.S.
Vice President of Science & Technology
Creative Nail Design Systems

One of the most controversial topics in the professional beauty industry involves a monomer liquid called MMA or methyl methacrylate. Unfortunately, there are many myths and misunderstandings surrounding the use of this ingredient. Most nail technicians know they should not use products containing this ingredient, but they don't know why! This lack of proper information opens the door for speculation and rumors.

Generally, when you ask someone why MMA should not be used, they will immediately respond that MMA is toxic. Although it is true that you should not drink MMA liquid, the same holds true for salt water and rubbing alcohol. MMA is not a human cancer causing agent and it does not absorb through the nail plate to affect the health of clients or nail technicians. Nor is it dangerous to inhale in the salon environment. Scientific information collected about MMA shows that toxicity is NOT the reason MMA makes a poor nail enhancement ingredient. In fact, for many years MMA has been safely implanted in the body as a bone repair cement - so it is not a dangerous toxin, as many imagine.

Then why should MMA not be used? There are four main reasons:

MMA nail products do not adhere well to the nail plate. To make these products adhere, nail technicians often shred up (etch) the surface of the nail. This thins the nail plate and makes it weaker.

MMA creates the hardest and most rigid nail enhancements, which makes them very difficult to break. When jammed or caught, the overly filed and thinned natural nail plate will often break before the MMA enhancement, leading to serious nail damage.

MMA is extremely difficult to remove. Since it will not dissolve in product removers, it is usually pried from the nail plate, creating still more damage.

The FDA says don't use it! This is clearly the most important reason. The FDA bases their prohibition on the large number of consumer complaints resulting from the use of MMA nail enhancements in the late 70's and they continue to maintain this position today.

For these reasons, the Nail Manufacturers Council and the American Beauty Association have also taken a stance against the use of MMA liquid monomer as an ingredient in artificial nail liquids. Not because MMA is toxic, but because it is an unsuitable ingredient. Creative Nail Design (and Hooked on Nails) agrees with this position. MMA is a widely used monomer with a long history of safe use in medical and dental products. It is fine for making bulletproof windows and shatterproof eyeglasses. However, we believe that artificial nails should not only be beautiful, they should not damage the natural nail. They are enhancements, not replacements! We also believe it is the responsibility of all professional nail technicians to protect the health of their client's natural nails. A good place to start is by using responsibly formulated products and to learn safe and proper techniques. (Douglas D. Schoon)

So, what are we using to create artificial nail enhancements? EMA or Ethyl Methacrylate. What is the difference? The following is an explanation of the differences between MMA liquid and EMA liquid from Paul Bryson, Co-Director of Research & Development for OPI Products.

Paul writes:

Chemically speaking, sometimes a very small difference in a molecule's structure can make a big difference in its effects. Ethyl methacrylate (EMA) has a slight, but significant, difference in molecular structure from MMA that makes EMA much safer to use. More specifically, EMA has a carbon atom and two extra hydrogen atoms compared to MMA. This may not seem like much, but the effects are large.

An analogy is the difference between Methanol (wood alcohol) and Ethanol (beverage alcohol). As with MMA versus EMA, the difference between the two is just one carbon and a couple of hydrogen atoms; yet one is a deadly poison and the other is safe if used moderately.

Experience has shown that MMA is strongly sensitizing and has a high potential to damage nails and surrounding tissue. Some people may use it and be OK, but that is just luck. Enough people were harmed by MMA, that is why the FDA prohibited the material from nail use 2 decades ago.

EMA has a somewhat larger molecule, and is less able to penetrate body tissue. Many years of salon experience indicate that this material is safe for most people. Of course, just as with any food, drug or cosmetic, there are always going to be a FEW people allergic to it. And long-term overexposure to ANY acrylic - even odorless or gels - can cause sensitivity to gradually develop.:Scared:

and?

So after reading and posting that, surely it answers your question as to why it is so bad, why we dont use it and that really its better left making bulletproof glass than a nail.

Sorry, I must be tired, we have all read this before, what IS your point?

I think after 4 pages full of debate, it's quite clear the direct source for this MMA will not be given. It's most likely because most of us have no idea where to get it from, and would honestly not even let the thought of using it on clients cross our minds. I use Young Nails. And I also worked in an NSS for a good portion of my career. I can honestly say that the whole people not ever having lifts in those places is a fallacy. Of course they get lifts. They're just not as nice about it. Ever seen your colleague get hit in the face with a nipper by an angry ghetto hoodrat over a lift? Anyway, I digress. Hopefully you get your lifting issues sorted out.

When I first saw this thread, I actually thought it was a joke like the 'first set of acrylics' in the critique section. But, to my horror, it's not.

Jeez, regardless of the 3 years you did a college and time spent away, maybe you need to look at further training. You can never learn enough in this industry and I am still learning new tips with products and I have just completed my master artist with CND.

Seriously, research your questions if your not going to listen to the many professionals in this forum. And, if your not going to listen to the likes of GEEG, then we give up.

You quote Doug Schoons articles, maybe you should take time out are read his books throughly.

I'm gobsmacked that you would even lower to the standard of the chop shops, seems more about fast money than healthy happy clients :(

Are you using yn monomer and powder as a full system? As in an earlier post you say you use yn monomer but don't mention powder, primer etc.

I came across this a few months back on Facebook! This poor girl had gone to a discount nail bar! For this to happen! I'm not saying its the acrylic they used that done this but what I'm saying do this to the book! Don't try be like them to keep clients! More clients will come along!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373409650.882136.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373409650.882136.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 410
Hi I want to buy some mma acrylic liquid because some lady's have lifting problems. Please can anyone advise me where to buy it from?

Phaa I'm new to this business and have had the privilege of lifting someone else's mma off try doing a soak then ask for it :smack:

Is it just me or have I seen the OP posting in another thread and being all defensive. If I'm wrong I apologies but I'm sure I recognize your username from a recent thread about nails ....

Truly, trying to help and steer OP in the right direction isnt going anywhere. It isnt healthy for any of us to get frustrated :(
I have a picture frame on the wall upon entering my salon, it looks highly tacky but I believe in educating our clients

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373411838.384173.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373411838.384173.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 385
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back