Wanted Shellac and got Gel! :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't ever heard the word before CND used it. I know it was used before, but was pretty obscure and never used in our industry.

I don't think it's at all obscure, but of course it depends what your education and interests are. It's certainly a well-known word around the world for anyone who has ever made or restored furniture or wooden models of any sort. It was even the key component of a joke in that sitcom Spin City! And no, I don't know why I remember that - it wasn't even that good a joke :biggrin:

Anyway, just wanted to point out that it is legitimate for people to use the word shellac without it having anything to do with CND, although I know that's not really what this thread is about.

I don't think it's at all obscure, but of course it depends what your education and interests are. It's certainly a well-known word around the world for anyone who has ever made or restored furniture or wooden models of any sort. It was even the key component of a joke in that sitcom Spin City! And no, I don't know why I remember that - it wasn't even that good a joke :biggrin:

Anyway, just wanted to point out that it is legitimate for people to use the word shellac without it having anything to do with CND, although I know that's not really what this thread is about.

judging by this website and the response from a significant proportion is that they had no idea what the word meant! Lol. My dad had boats and made cabinets as a hobby so I grew up with the word Shellac perhaps like you ... These days Polyurethane would be the word and Shellac is definitely old fashioned ... If CND had picked polyurethane I don't think it would have had the same impact. Lol. Maybe we are showing our AGE and not just our education and experience.

I grew up with the word shellac as my father was a cabinet maker, but I'm well aware that it wasn't in common parlance in the nail industry.
As for people who go to a salon for shellac and get something else why did you just not leave when you realise it's not shellac? We know what the bottles look like, what the lamp looks like, and what the colours are, so walk out when it becomes obvious that you're being mislead.
I had heard that there was a local salon saying they did shellac but when I saw the results on my client's fingernails I knew it wasn't. I rang the salon asking if they did shellac. I asked if they had a nice bright red and they were very enthusiastic telling me they had a couple of lovely reds, one called shanghai red, another one called Big red cherry...
When I pressed them on this they said these were the new colours from shellac. We had a bit of a conversation about gelac and shellac, and they got quite shirty with me telling me that all the systems were the same and anyway gelac was a far superior product.
When I asked to speak to the manager she gave me a right mouthful and what did I know about nail products anyway.
I just laughed and told her I would be letting cnd know that they were misrepresenting the brand.

I'm sure it wouldn't ruin your nails, but buffing of the surface of them first will not have helped them and they may be quite dehydrated and brittle after removal as the surface protection will have been removed when the technician buffed your nail surface (well trained Shellackers do not do this) and the Acetone removal will dehydrate the plate.

Best to remove and replace with Shellac and then Solar Oil every day until any damage grows out.

There are allot of dishonest people about aren't there? Enticing you in to the salon by saying they do Shellac and then giving you a Gel that you din't want? It goes on allot so consumers beware!! If it doesn't say CND on ALL the bottles used and the UV Lamp then you are not getting the real and the one and only Shellac.

If I wasn't in the industry and didn't know any better then I would have thought that I had had a shellac french polish and probably would have been bad mouthing shellac and giving it a bad reputation!! I have now heard numerous stories of clients being fobbed off with gel polishes when asking for shellac. Slightly concerning.

If I wasn't in the industry and didn't know any better then I would have thought that I had had a shellac french polish and probably would have been bad mouthing shellac and giving it a bad reputation!! I have now heard numerous stories of clients being fobbed off with gel polishes when asking for shellac. Slightly concerning.

This is exactly why we are going to start giving ONLY salons that are using the whole system (including the lamp) a certificate of accreditation that they give a genuine Shellac service ... others who dont have it will have to start having some explaining to do ... it will be highlighted and all techs must do thier part to to educate their clients by being proud to tell them that they use only genuine CND products (show them) and teach them. We are also working on a salon referral list on our website of genuine Shellac Salons who are proud to tell people that they use the brand and who do use it all.

In German Lac is varnish / paint ,
Nagellac = nail varnish ,
überlac = top coat
Unterlac = base coat
Farblack = color varnish

So now ALL the nail places ofer Shellac .... Except it's not its normally a hard colored gel overlay !!!!

I grew up with the word shellac as my father was a cabinet maker, but I'm well aware that it wasn't in common parlance in the nail industry.
As for people who go to a salon for shellac and get something else why did you just not leave when you realise it's not shellac? We know what the bottles look like, what the lamp looks like, and what the colours are, so walk out when it becomes obvious that you're being mislead.
I had heard that there was a local salon saying they did shellac but when I saw the results on my client's fingernails I knew it wasn't. I rang the salon asking if they did shellac. I asked if they had a nice bright red and they were very enthusiastic telling me they had a couple of lovely reds, one called shanghai red, another one called Big red cherry...
When I pressed them on this they said these were the new colours from shellac. We had a bit of a conversation about gelac and shellac, and they got quite shirty with me telling me that all the systems were the same and anyway gelac was a far superior product.
When I asked to speak to the manager she gave me a right mouthful and what did I know about nail products anyway.
I just laughed and told her I would be letting cnd know that they were misrepresenting the brand.

How was she to know what the salon was using? She originally wanted Shellac, the girl in the salon fobbed her off by giving her "gel" (but was actually acrylic). How would someone that has never had it know what Shellac looks like, what the lamp looks like, what the process is etc?

I think that there are few people who, when getting a new treatment, don't google it first.
And, if I had asked for shellac, and the bottles didn't say shellac on them, or I couldn't see any evidence of shellac pos, then I'd be politely checking that it really was shellac.
There does have to be an element of personal responsibility in this.
I advertise that I use perron rigot wax, and people have searched out because of this. And when they ask to check that it really is PR I show them the bag!

I have a salon down the road who advertises Shellac, but after doing a friend who has been going there for a while, who seemed surprised that I wrapped her Shellac, as opposed to soaking in a bowl of acetone , and .... horror of horrors, I cured her base coat ONLY for 10 secs and not 2 mins , I did a bit of investigating , and discovered this techs website actually advocates light buffing of the nail plate before applying Shellac !!!!
And my friends nails were dry , flaky and split and she still thought it was due to winter coming , and nothing to do with the treatment she was getting there every 2 weeks.:eek:

[/B]

This is exactly why we are going to start giving ONLY salons that are using the whole system (including the lamp) a certificate of accreditation that they give a genuine Shellac service ... others who dont have it will have to start having some explaining to do ... it will be highlighted and all techs must do thier part to to educate their clients by being proud to tell them that they use only genuine CND products (show them) and teach them. We are also working on a salon referral list on our website of genuine Shellac Salons who are proud to tell people that they use the brand and who do use it all.

Sorry to jump on this bandwagon geeg - I am an Sweet Squared account holder and use all the Shellac purchased from Sweet Squared and Ive trained with Justine in Essex. And Ive got the CND lamp. How do I get myself on the website and an accredited Shellac lady???

Sorry to jump on this bandwagon geeg - I am an Sweet Squared account holder and use all the Shellac purchased from Sweet Squared and Ive trained with Justine in Essex. And Ive got the CND lamp. How do I get myself on the website and an accredited Shellac lady???
Email Samantha at sweetsquared.com and she will put you on the list.

Latest posts

Back