Was I making an Unreasonable demand?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelnailz

Reaction score
Hey geeks

Just want to run something past you guys.

I dont want to mention the company or the product I had trouble with as this isnt about me badmouthing anyone but more of 'was I unreasonable' type post.

I had a request form two clients for a specific thing, I checked with the company if the had the said item in stock, then ordered it, then confirmed with the clients and took the booking.

Today my order arrived but although it was my name on the label it was someone elses order inside.

I was really upset as this is not the first time I have had problems (which the company are aware of) I called them and explained what had happened and was told I would get my items re delivered Mon/Tues. I kept explaining that I had clients booked in Sat who were going on holiday sat night and I needed the items, I was told to stop shouting, I wasnt shouting! but was not being listened to. I asked if they could send the items next day by royal mail and was told no as it cost them £25, but I told them if I didnt have the items it would cost me £80 in lost earnings and a potential loss of 2 new clients. So the person called a supervisor and they agreed to do it, which was fantastic.

I just felt I was delt with like an `akward customer` the tone of voice that was used etc, I understand folk make mistakes but do u think I overreacted by asking them to next day deliver me?? xxx

I don't think you were unreasonable its their mistake so they should want to rectify it so as not to lose you as a customer just like you don't want to lose your customers x

Thanks :) the problem is the items I needed are only available from one place in scotland, I`ve no choice but to order from them! xx

Of course you had every right to ask for next day and they should have offered it before you asked!!! Their mistake.

But I can tell you from experience that the way people speak to order takers on the phone sometimes can be absolutely horrible and shockingly rude .. shouting and bawling at someone whose fault it is not. I'm not saying you did this but someone thought so to ask you to stop.

One always gets allot more help when one is courteous and calm rather than ranting and raving. Many could do well to remember that. Order sales people are not whipping blocks to be subjected to verbal abuse just because they are at the other end of the line.

When they heard of your problem they should have sorted it out immediately! They should have offered to get it to you for the next day before you asked, in fact you should never have to ask a company who is at fault to put their mistakes right. :)

When I have an issue with a company... and the person at the other end of the phone is not giving me the answer that I want to hear (LOL).... I politely say "I understand that this wasn't YOUR error, and your job is to handle the phone calls but I'm not satisfied at this point - although this is no reflection on you. I would like to escalate this issue to the attention of the manager in charge of such things, please. To see if we can't come to a better conclusion to this issue, especially since I am not the one that made the error either and yet I'm punished for it."

Be POLITE but Firm.
Expressing 'understanding' that the phone operator is not the one that botched your order is important.
The term "escalate" is KEY. (works with phone/cable etc companies very well LOL)
Don't say "YOUR" manager because it will infer that THEY made the booboo and put them on the defensive and then they'll be less inclined to help.

I'm NOT saying that you made errors.
I'm agreeing that you WERE reasonable asking for the error to be fixed PROMPTLY.
They were WRONG to suggest that fixing it would be at YOUR expense.
Shipping to return the items should cost THEM and NOT YOU.
Shipping of the RUSH order should come out of THEIR pocket because had they not made the error in the first place, you would have your stock in hand. You should NOT pay for additional shipping OF ANY KIND to rectify this.

I would NOT give such a company my business again if they could not satisfy me in this situation.
I would remind them that your lost business is THEIR loss too!!! Repeat custom is a VALUABLE commodity AND 'word of mouth' is valuable too, so if they want you to refer your peers (other techs) to their business.... they might wish to keep your happiness in mind.

I sometimes think that some people in customer service forget who pays their salaries - their customers. OK - it can be a stressful and demanding job, but it was their decision to take it.

I think the attitude of customer support speaks volumes about the company. A good company chooses the right people and then educates their staff that a problem is an opportunity to prove to the customer that the company is committed and cares. This is where they can win a long term customer if they handle it right.

Imagine if they had listened and like Geeg says, immediately suggested they would send next day. You would have been delighted and the problem of the wrong shipment would have faded to insignificance.

I forgot to mention something, and as you say Bob, it slipped my mind because I WAS satisfied.

3wks ago, I ordered my oils and whatnot.
2wks later.. I wondered where my order was (should have taken no more than 4 days BUT we had Canada Day and St.Jean Baptiste day... so thought maybe that caused some delay).
So I checked my visa statement, and saw that I hadn't yet been charged.
I called.
They said "whoops, order was commenced, but not finished processing and left to the side forgotten. so sorry!! shipping it rush, you'll have it tomorrow, we won't charge you for freight"

Sure enough, I had it the next day, shipping charges were not applied at all, in any shape or form.

Yup, I was very happy. And yes, I FORGOT that they had made such an error until Bob said what he did.

Will I refer anyone to them? HELL YES! They even sent me an email of apology and enquired if everything in my order was to my liking.
THAT is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Everyone makes mistakes. It's human. We are ALL guilty of occasional errors.
It's CUSTOMER SERVICE to rectify them and apologize and make sure that the client is happy.

Latest posts

Back