was this unprofessional of me!?!?!?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a nail tek in my village (a competitor!!) who had a big ad in our local paper about all the letters after her name (?! still confused about that one) and qualifications she had. Blah blah....promoting calgel nails " no damage to natural nail plate lets your nails 'breathe' etc."

SO i rang her!! to find out about this WONDER calgel...and how much she charged and tried to sound like mrs JOE Public.

I could not believe the twoddle that this woman came out with.

Quote: I do acrylic, silk or gel....gel is much better it allows the natural metabolic rate of the nail to continue...silk and acrylic fool the nails into thinking they dont need to grow thats why when you take them off your nails are so brittle and damaged....calgel lasts 4-5 weeks before an infil is needed acrylic etc every 2 weeks for in fills and you'll get lifting blah blah...

I couldnt believe it and poeple will get suckered into this....

what would u do?? I was desperate to say ' oh so nails breath do they?' arent you doing something wrong if you get excessive lifting and nail plate trauma??

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i'll bet she is on this site now too!!

He he!!
AMbx

I would have done the same Minkus!!!

i couldnt help myself...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nearly booked a BOGUS appointment.... but couldnt .....thats real nasty !

Ambx

That would be hilarious!!!!

Go on, go on - you can re-educate her!

Being completely honest...yes it is a little unprofessional...however, I would have done the same. In fact, I have done the same with my local NSS!

To make yourself feel better about it, call it "A Market Research Excercise". I know its not your market, but you do need to know who you are up against...lol

BTW I would not be so unprofessional if I felt that somebody was giving out good advice to clients. I don't agree with people spreading "Myths and Legends" though!!

Yes it would have been nasty and not worthy of you but can totaly understand the temptation.

The girl is playing on the public's ignorance regarding nail enhancements.

This is the type of ignarant technician that perpetuates these silly myths such as the nail breathes and enhancements slow down the metabolic rate etc. Utter nonsense. Maybe if she is on the site she should read the premium geeks articles about Myths & Ledgends concerning nails!! Might learn a thing or two.

Is Calgel teaching its technicians to say this kind of stuff?? It amkes them sound so ignorant.

inspirations said:
BTW I would not be so unprofessional if I felt that somebody was giving out good advice to clients. I don't agree with people spreading "Myths and Legends" though!!

Although I found it funny, there was always this thought in my mind.

Ooooh, new one .... nails breathing!

Why do some people have to tell the public that kind of stuff about products???

I believe its how the product has been applied and also how the client takes care of the overlay/enhancement after they've been doen! Whatever next!

If my memory's correct it's Calgel who use the same sort of info in their ads, isn't it? I seem to remember someone from this site commenting and contacting them after they'd advertised all sorts of 'gel is better cos it let's your nails breathe blah blah' nonsense in Scratch or PN... can't remember who, I'm afraid...

It's not surprising this tech is talking such pants if the company whose products she uses say it too!

Lulu :)

good, its not me then!

Had to chuckle...when i asked if she was there every say she said .....she's not doing any nails at the moment.....broke her arm!!

I am so glad I've read this, as before I decided to get into doing nails, I only had my nails done once and that was with Calgel, she told me acrylics were bad for nails, so as a result I am now doing a gel course with Essential Nails.

I am intending to do the Creative Foundation course next, but have been worrying a bit about learning acrylics, although I want to provide the best service I can, and realise this entails offering a choice to customers. I feel much better about it now, as I actually believed nails could breath!!!

Sue
:o

i would have done the same no harm finding out wot your opposition is up to ! shop's do it all the time ! when i was working in a shop they would have me go into other shops and find out wot kind of things they sold and for how much !!!

Have you thought about contacting the local paper and maybe getting them to do an article/ad on nail services. Like what the nails are made up of, the real story behind enhancements, the different types etc. Thereby educating the public without being unprofessional.

mooredianne said:
Have you thought about contacting the local paper and maybe getting them to do an article/ad on nail services. Like what the nails are made up of, the real story behind enhancements, the different types etc. Thereby educating the public without being unprofessional.

Nice one i like it.... also educating Miss nails have lungs you know, at the same time...

NailStyle said:
Nice one i like it.... also educating Miss nails have lungs you know, at the same time...
lol...what a wierd visual image I get from this!!!

It was me that wrote them a shirty email about an article they published in the Babtac mag. They really believe that there is nothing wrong in the info they promote, I think they need to get a new PR person who actually knows the truth behind being a nail technician and not spout the piffle that they do - they have it all on their website too. I don't think the rep on the Calgel stand at Excel knew exactly why I laughed so much when he tried to give me a leaflet - he's just lucky he didn't get a sneaky bash from my li'l blue trolley lol!

vodkababe said:
If my memory's correct it's Calgel who use the same sort of info in their ads, isn't it? I seem to remember someone from this site commenting and contacting them after they'd advertised all sorts of 'gel is better cos it let's your nails breathe blah blah' nonsense in Scratch or PN... can't remember who, I'm afraid...

It's not surprising this tech is talking such pants if the company whose products she uses say it too!

Lulu :)

Well I think we all should attend the seminar they are giving at Olympia next weekend and give Gary a much needed class.

We could certainly ask all sorts of interesting questions.

Crumbs, think of how many people he will infect during that seminar if it happens to be well attended.

Lets give him a thrill and fill the hall with knowledgable geeks and ask a few appropriate questions.

HMMM???????

geeg said:
Well I think we all should attend the seminar they are giving at Olympia next weekend and give Gary a much needed class.

Crumbs, think of how many people he will infect during that seminar if it happens to be well attended.

Lets give him a thrill and fill the hall with knowledgable geeks and ask a few appropriate questions.

HMMM???????

Fabulous idea. I would be first in line if i was going!!!

geeg said:

HMMM???????

:eek: Please, please do! Put Sassy in the front row!!
Can anyone tell me how they justify saying this?
I was educated :rolleyes: at Excel with so many telling me they'd never use a buff off cos blah blah products were so good and let the nail breathe and there was no damage blah blah! :mad:

geeg said:

HMMM???????

Here here Geeg!!!!! :) :)

Latest posts

Back