was this unprofessional of me!?!?!?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a fab idea!!!!

Def up for that one. Just looked in scratch for seminar times, 2hours!!!:eek: Poor bloke wont know whats hit him.
Would like to hear the explanation of 'breathing nails'tho.

Debz xx

Is Calgel teaching its technicians to say this kind of stuff?? It amkes them
sound so ignorant.

Hi have just been on a 'calgel' course - and thought i would answer this quote.
The trainer/educator in Luton Annalise Evans did not promote her gel like this - she was an excellent trainer - in fact the best i have ever been on and have trained with a lot of companies.

Do u want me to ring Calgel and tell them what u are saying about their training policies!! Then Calgel could phone the particular nail technician in question

alisondenn said:
Is Calgel teaching its technicians to say this kind of stuff?? It amkes them
sound so ignorant.

Hi have just been on a 'calgel' course - and thought i would answer this quote.
The trainer/educator in Luton Annalise Evans did not promote her gel like this - she was an excellent trainer - in fact the best i have ever been on and have trained with a lot of companies.

Do u want me to ring Calgel and tell them what u are saying about their training policies!! Then Calgel could phone the particular nail technician in question

The trouble is Alison, that this is the kind of stuff Calgel say in their adverts and in newspaper articles all the time. Perpetuating these myths and stupidities is exactly how they market and promote their products. It annoys many of we technicians to hear them say things like their product is safer to work with than other products, better for the nail, allows the nail to breathe etc!! what twaddle and the implication is loud and clear that they are saying that other products are not safe, unhealthy for the natural nail and don't allow the nail to breathe.
Marketing of this sort is not only dishonest, but unhealthy for the WHOLE nail industry. I hate it when People are so desperate and greedy for business that they can't see the big picture and have to tell lies rather than extol the virtues of their product.
Bravo if your educator did not stoop to these sorts of tactics, but the Calgel company definitely do.

I`m going off post slightly here but the new Alleve range from Alida are spouting the same,
the treatments which have been developed specially with "breathable" formulations allow the nail to excrete oil and water and function naturally
You have to wonder how many others out there do the same and not only does it make our jobs harder but it just fuels confusion with the general public

I am very new to the nail business and therefore cannot comment on Calgel or any other company.

However, I have been wearing Creative nails for years and years and have always been informed that no one system is better than another for the natural nail! But many of my friends, and friends of friends, who have only been wearing nail enhancements for a couple of years or so, wholeheartedly believe that gel is better for the natural nail and it is very hard, if not impossible, to change their minds - even when I show them literature etc. This argument that the nails breathes and needs oxygen to grow and stay healthy is very persuasive to most people (sounds very logical).

Would it not be possible for the big players in the industry, who don't use this ploy, to re-educate the public through advertisements/features in the popular weekly/monthly fashion mags? No one-man-band is going to change the publics notions.

I don't want to offend anyone by saying that - but I know how hard it has been for the optical industry to try and educate people out of the belief that glasses/contact lenses make your eyes worse!!! People who actually need glasses wont wear them stating that:- they will not wear glasses because once they start their eyes will just get worse!!!!!!!!!! It has been the big players here that have lead the way in trying to inform the public!!!

Sorry if this is out of turn but I just can't see how small salons or mobile techs can counter this kind of advertising on their own. :o

Very good point Redchris001 .... very good.

Totally agree redchris001!!!!

Brilliantly put!

Here here, to RedChris and Geeg! But I am pleased to hear Alison that your trainer didn't stoop to the sort of twaddle of the marketing tactics used by Calbrook.

BTW - if you put me in the front row Red Admiral at least I wouldn't miss with the ripe tomatoes lol!! If I had a spare 2 hours to waste then I would go along for the pure entertainment value, but I'd have to take out shares in Tena lady from wetting myself so much with laughter lol lol lol!!

I'll bring the rotten eggs sassy!! :p

The only thing I can see here is, that she probably prefers to do gel instead of acrylic, so she's saying all these things to put people off acrylic and make her life easier.

Its probably more of a case that she has only trained with this one company. when we all first start out if we are not lucky enough to have good educators then we as trainees swallow everything we are told.

If the company promotoes itself through literature o its trainees and nail techs every more with newsletters and they see the adverts in all the top nail magazines how can they think anything different. It is only as you increase your educate you start to question things and you start to read more and THEN you realise that things don't always add up.

Why don't you send her a little note quietly advising her that maybe some of her information that she has been given by her educator may be a little out of date and for up to date information in the industry point her towards us lot and she will soon be educated
HTH

I trained with Calgel too, and I have to comment that we WERE told all of that crappy information to tell the clients. Calgel prey on newcomers to the Nail Industry and they brainwash them into this 'Twoddle'.

I soon found out that there was no weight in their information as their product just isn't up to the job. Unfortunately it is a very expensive learning curve with our industry, but eventually you find what products do the job, without the Bull!

When I turned up for my training, I was dismayed that I was the ONLY person with previous nail experience. This is when I suddenly doubted the company, most of the people on the course were 'Ladies of Leisure' who just wanted to do their mates nails. I find this particularly alarming when not only are you brainwashed, but that no proper nail/product knowledge was given, only application technicques. I must also comment that our Tutor didn't even do one demo on my two day course. Hmm

scattyfox said:
Its probably more of a case that she has only trained with this one company. when we all first start out if we are not lucky enough to have good educators then we as trainees swallow everything we are told.

If the company promotoes itself through literature o its trainees and nail techs every more with newsletters and they see the adverts in all the top nail magazines how can they think anything different. It is only as you increase your educate you start to question things and you start to read more and THEN you realise that things don't always add up.

Why don't you send her a little note quietly advising her that maybe some of her information that she has been given by her educator may be a little out of date and for up to date information in the industry point her towards us lot and she will soon be educated
HTH

I agree - until I came on this site, I had no idea about the myths and inaccuracies that surrounded the nail enhancement industry. Now that I do know - i make a point of trying to educate all my clients with the facts.

However, as much as my clients go away knowing the truth. Many other nail techs' clients will also leave the salon 'knowing' their version of the facts.

I would also be tempted to send this tech some info in the post, maybe with references from this site, as well as other text books we know to be accurate. In a friendly (but anonymous - she may start to bad-mouth you if she takes offence) way I would suggest she researches the facts behind her products... so that she can promote her services in a better way?

I can't find the link, but if anyone can remember the thread where some geeks put together a 'press release' covering the major myths and dangers to look out for when finding a nail salon - please insert the link if you can find it? - I've sent it to my local paper and tho i don't think they'll put it in the paper, it looks like it will go in the 'gloss' mag they publish. A start, eh?

Way to go Geeg !

I think it would be sooo cool if some of you guys could go to the Calgel seminar and ask a few questions !:biggrin: It would be dead interesting to hear what they have to say for themselves.

Might even be able to save a few people from making a very costly mistake by training with Calgel.

Oh please, someone go and ask loads of questions !!!

I find I receive the same sort of blah blah from nail tech's and distributors using biosclpture.:irked:
I think someone told me once that the people from calgel and those from bio' sculpture used to be in business together and had a falling out, thus resulting in two similar company policies.
As for your opposition nail tech', maybe you could print out this thread and all the responses and mail it to her!!!
I admire you for ringing her too!!

Your signiture looks UNREAL.:D
How did you do it?:irked:
I am still trying to find my way around this website.
Any advice???:?:

Latest posts

Back