Waxing course advice! (sorry another waxing question from me)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrinew16

Reaction score
Hello...

As some of you may know, I am looking into a waxing courses at the moment.

I have been talking to a really helpful lady who has adviced me that the it is illegal to be issued with a certificate after a 1-2 day course.

I didn't know this, as the majority if the courses that I have looked into have been 1 day courses...so now I am really confused!!

Has anyone completed a one day course? xx

Hello...

As some of you may know, I am looking into a waxing courses at the moment.

I have been talking to a really helpful lady who has adviced me that the it is illegal to be issued with a certificate after a 1-2 day course.

I didn't know this, as the majority if the courses that I have looked into have been 1 day courses...so now I am really confused!!

Has anyone completed a one day course? xx

Hi,
Not to sure what the lady meant by the illegal bit. However courses worth their salt will require you to have an A & P qualification (Anatomy & Physiology) before starting a waxing course. There is quite a few 1 & 2 day courses out there. Just make sure you do your homework on the people that are providing the courses and make sure they are accredited.

Hope this helps :D

Hiya

I think it all depends on what products you will be using too. I use only perron rigot apart from strips and spatulas so for some waxing I do charge a bit more than other salons.

A local salon to me charges 12 for half leg and so do I but they charge 17 for a brazilian whereas i charge 30. Not saying they dont do it properly as i dont know but i feel justified in charging what i charge as i use a premium product and i get every hair out and ill spend extra time with my tweezers if i have to. All my clients love my waxing and come back time and time again and have said I am very thorough. I trained in my opinion with the best I could and I would advise u to do the same as it is so worth it. My sister did a £75 half day course and lacks so much confidence as she doesn't really know what she is doing.

Only u know how to price yourself, dont sell yourself short tho.

Caroline xx

Just realise I posted that response under the wrong question! As for waxing courses you will need to make sure they are habia accredited xx

Haha wondered!!!
I thought I had posted to the wrong post :D xxx

Hi
I'm looking into courses too & seen the one that would suite me the best. This is actually been hosted by a beauty Training Academy & there prices are more reasonable than some other private companys.

Brilliant! Where abouts is that course based? I have been looking into courses at the beauty academy in London x

Well I do not know how helpful that person really is but sometimes we can each give out wrong bits and bobs! Perhaps she would like to see it made illegal....

I have done waxing both ways. First as a day course for which I received a certificate which was recognised by my insurance company. Job done. All legal and above board.

As to the merits of a one day course I think they can be really good for some people. It was an intensive day that covered anatomy and physiology as well as health and safety and then waxing every part of the body except intimate but including bikini. We were given a very comprehensive manual with everything taught in it. Sure it was too much to cover in one day but then people like myself went off and practised, practised and practised before launching myself on an unsuspecting public. I am still on a learning curve as, I think, we all are to some extent.

On the other hand, I am now at college doing an NVQ Level 2 which is not necessarily the sure fire way to learn either. I see colleagues who have not yet had hands on practise waxing some parts of the body for one reason or another, who are scared witless, or pull off skin after being at it for weeks and weeks. A college course is not the holy grail either!

In the end, I think learning then time and practise and continual learning is the greatest. This Salon Geek is a brilliant place to learn so much from reading others issues or questions and possible suggestions or answers. It does not mean that everything is right, just that like anything in life we should listen and think about what is being said and take on board with an open mind.

Sorry about the soap box. Not sure where that jumped out from!

:hug:

PS I did my one day waxing course at the Beauty Academy and did it on the Last Minute offer basis. It was still fab and exactly the same as the full priced course - I did mine at the Milton Keynes branch last year.

Illegal? Was she trying to sell you her way?

A one day course may not be the best way, and you'll certainly need a lot of practise afterwards to feel confident, but as long as you check their certificate will be accepted by your insurers, you should be fine.

Brill...thanks ladies! I thought it was really strange as I have never heard that one day courses were illegal!

I am looking in to courses at the beauty academy in London. Is a beauty academy diploma sufficient for working in a salon on a self employed basis x

I am looking in to courses at the beauty academy in London. Is a beauty academy diploma sufficient for working in a salon on a self employed basis x

For that you need to ask around specific salons to see if they would accept it but it is my impression that a one day diploma is not enough. But if you are self-employed then that is a different matter and theoretically it is not up to them to call the shots (apart from deciding whether they want you on board) but they could as you would be working on their premises. If you were renting the room and setting up your own business then you can just use your one day diplomas! But do not take my word for it - you need to ask actual potential salons.

The NVQ certificates are supposed to show not just learning but also actual hands on competence. But as far as the insurance company goes they just want to know you have your certificate. Which is a thought, not all insurance companies accept the one day diplomas so do watch out for that. It is a consideration to keep in mind.

I done a 1 day wax course. My certificate covers me for insurance

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Thanks for all your help!!

I'm a already spray tanning in a salon and they are happy to for me to carry out waxing once I am trained.

I have just emailed the beauty academy for more info xx

Well I do not know how helpful that person really is but sometimes we can each give out wrong bits and bobs! Perhaps she would like to see it made illegal....

I have done waxing both ways. First as a day course for which I received a certificate which was recognised by my insurance company. Job done. All legal and above board.

As to the merits of a one day course I think they can be really good for some people. It was an intensive day that covered anatomy and physiology as well as health and safety and then waxing every part of the body except intimate but including bikini. We were given a very comprehensive manual with everything taught in it. Sure it was too much to cover in one day but then people like myself went off and practised, practised and practised before launching myself on an unsuspecting public. I am still on a learning curve as, I think, we all are to some extent.

On the other hand, I am now at college doing an NVQ Level 2 which is not necessarily the sure fire way to learn either. I see colleagues who have not yet had hands on practise waxing some parts of the body for one reason or another, who are scared witless, or pull off skin after being at it for weeks and weeks. A college course is not the holy grail either!

In the end, I think learning then time and practise and continual learning is the greatest. This Salon Geek is a brilliant place to learn so much from reading others issues or questions and possible suggestions or answers. It does not mean that everything is right, just that like anything in life we should listen and think about what is being said and take on board with an open mind.

Sorry about the soap box. Not sure where that jumped out from!

:hug:

I couldnt agree more! You put everything i wanted to say in your reply! x

I have spoken to a lady today who is based at a different training academy.

She advised me that most people pass on the practical side of things on the one day course. I will then need to complete a case study in my own time and send back the relevant information and photographic evidence, before recieving my diploma.

This actually made perfect sence and I am now really keen to book on to a course asap!!

Thank You All So Much For Your Help & Advice!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Bloody hell!!!!! I'm going darn!!! Will you come visit me in Holloway Prison?:)

My 1 day course are accredited and I have trained the CIBTAC Examiners, so rest assured…………..the information you have been given in totally incorrect. x

One day training lol shows how our countrys education standards are so low.
I'm not having a go at anyone but IMO this is poor.

on day course illegal................ what a crock of rubbish.

Was she selling you her course by any chance?

I think whatever course you choose, make sure you get full list of contents. what does it cover? will they require you to practise and come back or are they going to ok your work on the day? What insurance companies recognise it?

these are just a few questions you need to ask and many more besides.

tigi

One day training lol shows how our countrys education standards are so low.
I'm not having a go at anyone but IMO this is poor.

I agree, sometimes I don't know why I bothered giving up a well paid job to go to college and do my NVQ when you can go on a day, half day course!

Latest posts

Back