Waxing course - Carlton Institute?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloester

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a waxing course with the Carlton Institute in Glasgow, has anyone been before? If so what is the courses like there are they any good?
If not where am I best going
:)

I trained with them just under three years ago in Stockport and I'm not sure whether to recommend them became the theory is reasonably easy to grasp but when it came to practical I didn't feel confident when I left.

It's one of those treatments that requires lots of practice and I think it's best to get a recognised qualification in such as vtct, city and guilds, itec etc. So I would recommend seeing what your local college offer.

Even though the carlton institute offer an option to do an nvq unit in waxing it is harder than it needs to be because you have to do a high proportion of the work in your own time without the support of a tutor and this includes practical.

Thinking about doing a waxing course with the Carlton Institute in Glasgow, has anyone been before? If so what is the courses like there are they any good?
If not where am I best going
:)

Not sure if it helps but we are getting lots of students who are unhappy with group training under those circumstances as there is just not enough time in the training day for all students to practice on all body parts and that is obviously essential if you want to be confident and competent which is why most students ask for 1-2-1 training or small groups of 2 or 3 students.

Joe90 (Julie) on here does great 1-2-1 training and has trained herself with Lori Nestori - the one and only wax queen. She's based near Manchester so you might save some costs too x

Not sure if it helps but we are getting lots of students who are unhappy with group training under those circumstances as there is just not enough time in the training day for all students to practice on all body parts and that is obviously essential if you want to be confident and competent which is why most students ask for 1-2-1 training or small groups of 2 or 3 students.
Nothing to do with group training although some companies do have way too many (12 plus students).

I offer both 121 and group training and you cannot beat group training if the tutor is good. It's all about the tutor and there are lots of great tutors out there running very successful group classes and turning out excellent waxers.

It's quality not quantity.

I studied with them on a few different courses at the Windsor one- wouldn't recommend- I retrained elsewhere as didn't feel confident

I did a course at the Windsor one too! Awful, definitely would not recommend them to anyone.

I did ear piercing course at the Windsor one, not good... I knew more from reading the stuff that came with the kit than the lady who was training!

I booked a course in Windsor and couldn't attend and tried rescheduling they weren't interested the man on the phone was so rude and I didn't get refund or wasn't able to reschedule

I did mine at their Exmouth branch and it was fab! Came away feeling completely confident and I now spend 80% of my day waxing. I guess it just depends on each individual tutor!

I did mine at their Exmouth branch and it was fab! Came away feeling completely confident and I now spend 80% of my day waxing. I guess it just depends on each individual tutor!
Exactly!

Oh dear I live 10 mins away from Windsor so doing it there is a no no from the comments above.

Any other recommendations?

I completed by nvq l3 at the one in windsor, pre-blended aromatherapy and have sent one of my girls on Indian head massage, all of which I thought were good but then it depends what you expect - if you expect to be client ready after a days training Its likely you'll be disappointed, if you realise that you'll have to do a fair bit of work and practice yourself then...

I know a few of the girls there and they're lovely and very experienced but then I haven't had experience with everyone there.

I've done various courses with Carlton at Windsor and exmouth, Exmouth is loads better and personally I wouldn't attend training at Windsor again. I re-did my facial course at exmouth as didn't feel confident after training at Windsor and was amazed at the different standards of training from the same company.

I can't remember the trainers name in Exmouth as it was a few years ago, but she really knows her stuff and has worked all over the world as a therapist so not only teaches you by the book but also gives you hints and tips that she has learnt along the way which makes a world of difference!!

A friend of mine did a waxing course in Ireland with this group, she didn't feel she learned enough to go and wax anyone but the worst of all was she went to get insurance to work and the cert she got was no good in Ireland. The insurance company would not cover her.

In my opinion it is only worth doing a course with them if you want to do the nvq qualification after the classroom day. Trouble with this is that you go to do an assessment with minimal knowledge and then get charged money if you need more assessment time for other things or retakes.

I did my nvq assessment days in Windsor and travelled from Manchester to do it because I'd have had to of waited another six months to be qualified if I wanted to do my assessments more locally. I had to take my model with me and pay all related costs (travel amd hotel and food etc). The assessment room was so rammed with other candidates and I had to keep asking for where stuff was. This wasted time so had to pay all that money again the following month to complete all of the remaining assessments a month later. I was game for all that messing about at the time because I just wanted my certificate and to be done with it but I would say that they were perhaps one of the least helpful schools who charge for practically every second of your time with them thay they possibly can. I've been to a lot of training schools in my time and I think these guys are out of touch with what is needed to help and encourage a learner because I was made to feel incompetent at times by some of the ways they handled things.

Trained with Lycon more recently and look forward to waxing these days :) I did level three with a different college and some product training with Jessica to better understand manipedi.

Annnd...the above was three years ago...I phoned them more recently to enquire about an aromatherapy course and they said that should the course get cancelled due to low interest then I would need to pay £100 admin fee. I mean how lazy, greedy, flippant and irresponsible can you get?! Urgh! So I don't think they've changed much.

I would only recommend them for people who've acquired their knowledge/training elsewhere and are looking for somewhere that is happy to do a vtct assessment day for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back