Waxing course,your recomendations please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becki x

Reaction score
Hi skin geeks x

I am thinking of getting into waxing,initially i will not be working on the general public,even though my insurance would cover me.

I know the day courses are frowned upon so i would be interested in your suggestions.

Atm i have no desire whatsoever to become a skin geek :lol: (let me get to grips with nails first :D) so i don't want to go down the therapist route.

So what do you recommend ? Thanks in advance xx

do you want to do it just for yourself? by doing a waxing course you will in effect become a skin geek, as you will cover skin, hair, bones etc.
many colleges offer a short course in waxing (10-14 weeks)which will give you time to gain competence and feel confident, even if you wanna do family/friends- you still want to do it properly.the one day courses(as you prob know) are not enough to achieve competence, but will cover the basics.

as with nails, waxing is practice, practice, practice. you may want to wait until you feel happy with your nails, then you can concentrate on waxing, as said before, even if you dont want to be a therapist, you will still need to pass the course.

goodluck with nails- and waxing if you decide to go ahead x:)

Hi Becki, i went to Ellisons and did there basic waxing day course in Sept, went home and did lots of practicing and reading up on all the basics. Then returned in December and did the PhD waxing day course. It was very informative and i found it very good. I did not do full wax treatments until i was cmpetent and felt confident enough in all aspects of waxing. Day courses may be frowned upon, but at the end of the day you know when you are ready and if you give a bad service you clients will not return and you will also get a bad name as word will get around, so practice and do as much reading about your chosen treatment. It is the individual at the end of the day. I have been to beauty therapists that have been to college and supposedly got there NVQ 2 & 3, but i have not been inpressed or returned to them!!!! It is worth it in the end to do a good job and then you will reap the benefits. . Good Luck x

do you want to do it just for yourself? by doing a waxing course you will in effect become a skin geek, as you will cover skin, hair, bones etc.
many colleges offer a short course in waxing (10-14 weeks)which will give you time to gain competence and feel confident, even if you wanna do family/friends- you still want to do it properly.the one day courses(as you prob know) are not enough to achieve competence, but will cover the basics.

as with nails, waxing is practice, practice, practice. you may want to wait until you feel happy with your nails, then you can concentrate on waxing, as said before, even if you dont want to be a therapist, you will still need to pass the course.

goodluck with nails- and waxing if you decide to go ahead x:)

I would reccommend the college course.

The main benefit imo over a one day course is you get to wax all the areas legs, bikini etc many times under supervision from a tutor. All practice done after a one day course is unsupervised, how do you know if your doing it correctly ? Also you get to cover all the theory in class.

I can't understand how these short courses work & why there are so many in the beauty industry when there are virtually none (if any) in the hair or holistic industry.

I also think its misleading to clients. How many would do a runner if they were told there therapist had completed a one day course ? I know I would ! They may have been practicing for several months but that doesn't mean they have been practicing the correct way after being shown once by the trainer.

If I went to have the brakes repaired on my car & was told the mechanic had done a one day course in fitting brakes there is no-way id let him work on it (slightly ott situation!) or if i went to have my hair cut & was informed stylist had completed 2 day cutting course id be petrified !

This is jmho, sorry if ive gone off on a tangent ! lol

I personally do not promote the one day courses at all,after all if we were to do a one day nail course it would be frowned on and everyone would say this is a starting point,thats all.

If it were for yourself and family then I dont see it as a problem though,it's just paying clients deserve more.IMO

The one day courses are perhaps a good starting point but....there is no possible way that a 1 day course could possibly cover anatomy,physiology,techniques,contra-indications,contra actions,hairgrowth,after care,blood supply etc,not to mention all the different hair types.

Yes it can teach the basics but so can watching an advert on tv with the Veet strip.

As for the comment about NVQ LEVEL 11 and 111 sorry but level 111 is absolutely nothing to do with waxing.So is totally irrelevant.Its the same in all professions I would say,there are good and bad in any professions,there isn't really any comparison between a therapist that has attended a college course for 2 years and a person who has done a 1 day waxing course.

It's unfortunate but there are therapists,hairdressers,plumbers,all sorts of professionals out there who are not good,but I personally would rather have one of those professionals than anyone who has only done a 1 day course(which in some cases only consists of a few hours)

I think as I said before,its a great starting point,but if it were me I would want follow up classes with a trainer to check I was doing everything correctly.For my peace of mind and my clients wellfare.

1 day waxing course are good for 1 thing and that's learning the basics,I for one wouldn't want anyone waxing on me after doing a 1 day wax course alone.Sorry not meaning to offend anyone just my opinion.xx

Thanks all .

I do take on board your comments,i just wanted to add however i have been waxed by these two ladies,one was a trainee one a college tutor,she was the one that caused bruising and completely ruined the shape of my brows so i do see where the qualification point comes into play.

I will be going ahead with a one day course to do my own my mum's and my sisters waxing only.I will not be working on the general public and i won't be wearing the skin geek badge :wink2: thanks all x (don't jump on me now :lol:)

I recently did a one day course at Essex School of Beauty. I did only expect to get a general insight into waxing but I was oh so wrong. I knew we would be working on the public which was what attracted me to that course but I thought that would happen say late afternoon after a days theory. However, at 9am we sat down and dived into 2hrs quick and intensive theory and then, to my horror, in came clients to be our first guinnea pigs at 11am. I nearly fainted with fright but it was fantastic. We waxed whole legs, underarms, bikini and eyebrows on several ladies and we worked in groups of two and there were 6 to the class. Most other students were already working as beauty therapists but didn't have recognised qualifications which would get them insurance, etc.

I was really thrown in at the deep end and was so relieved when I passed the theory test at the end of the day and to my surprise did leave the course feeling confident that I could wax paying clients after some more practice and review of the theory so that it doen't just fly out my head.

I purchased a couple of beauty books recommended by Sassy and wll read them several times as well as my course literature, practice on as many models as I can and I am looking forward to gaining more skill and confidence.

The course I did is also done over a year but that would have been too slow and painful for me to do that route so one day courses certainly are important an there is no one there that is not enthusiastic but it is up to the studen to then take what they have learned and pratice practice practice

Well done you chris, you sound as if you had a truley enjoyable time and obviously learn't alot in the day. i hope you are finding the practice at home beneficial and will be charging your clients soon. You go girl, good luck x

Thanks for sharing Chris x

...I know the day courses are frowned upon so i would be interested in your suggestions.
Hiya Becki,
I have'nt done this course myself, but |I know Picasso's in Wakefield do a one-dayer in waxing (Hive I think), maybe give them a call, as they are probably quite easy for you to get to. :hug:

Thanks for the tip Ruth,there happens to be quite a few wholesalers close by offering the exact same course though,thanks anyway xx

Thanks for the tip Ruth,there happens to be quite a few wholesalers close by offering the exact same course though,thanks anyway xx
Ah, fairplay! :)
Have you looked into this course, & if so, whaddya think?

Tbh i think if it's just for me mum and sis,then it'll do ..........

.......... interpret that as you will,i have nothing agaist Hive but i'm sure you get my drift xx

i think its a great idea to do a one day waxing course to do family members, why not. i know the colleges near to me offer 'Hairdressing for the family' in the same sort of way. i can see how alot of these one day courses work well, i.e spray tanning, lash tint, eyelash enhancement etc and i'm certainly not saying that these are inferior treatments, but there are alot of pitfalls to waxing and as babs mentioned i don't see how it could be fit into one day with all of the a+p, also i think its important to have your technique assesed over time, i totally agree with the practice part that is essential. i plan to do an intimate waxing course later this year which is likely to be a one or two dayer but have already got a college waxing qualification.
i think that this kind of course is a good start or even a good refresher for someone who hasn't practised for a while.
good luck with whatever you choose to do, hun xxx

Latest posts

Back