Waxing - feeling awful

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile-hands

Reaction score
Advice would be welcome from experienced waxers.

I had a client in yesterday for a pregnancy massage and an eyebrow wax, both went well although her eyebrow area was red.

This morning she has returned and has grazes on her eyelids, the eyebrows were very thick and she want a lot removing, because of this i waxed first offered her a mirror and then removed more, trying not to go over the same area as i knew it could cause this.

I have advised that it could be because the skin is thinner while being pregnant, i offered her the money back for the wax which she declined advising that she just wanted to know how to cover it (advised moisturise and then make-up), i apologised and offered 10% off her next treatment as i felt awful, she's such a lovely lady.

I am feeling so down about it :(

The wax was not hot! i tested on my arm before-hand and also confirmed with her that it was ok (normal practice for me).

Hi,

It's probably nothing you have done Hun. I've recently had my 3rd baby and have been waxed religiously every 4 weeks since I was 16 so a long time :).

I have never ever had a reaction until my last wax at 34 weeks pregnant, I developed a severe allergic relation and hives and ended up in hospital. It was nothing that my therapist had done it was just hormones and I was unlucky. I've now got to wait until Xmas to get waxed again and will still have to be really careful because it could happen again.

So don't feel bad because there's absolutely nothing you could have done to stop the reaction or to know that it was going to happen.

Hope that helps xx

Try not to beat yourself up about this. Many of us have been there and done that and sometimes it takes a few hiccups to realise how we could have perhaps done things differently.

Firstly, may I ask what method of waxing you used? Did you use a paper or material strip to remove the wax or did you apply a hot wax strip and then directly remove the wax strip?

I've had this happen before it only happens when I do my sister's eyebrows she says she has sensitive skin etc x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What method are you using to wax your sister Clairetee?

Warm wax and paper strip and the wax is a babyyliss gold if I remember correctly she uses a strong acne cream on her forehead I wonder if this may be the cause xx

I have learnt more about waxing technique on this site than I did at college thanks to the teachings of waxperts like Kim and Axiom amongst others. It has been recommended that using hot wax (non strip) is much kinder to the face than wax using a paper or fabric strip and this has been how I have been waxing on my clients faces since I qualified with great results.

Cleanse, then apply a very fine film of Jasmine oil over the area to be waxed and then apply the wax, allow to set and remove. I switched over to Perron Rigot wax Euro Blonde as this does the job beautifully. No skin grazes and minimal redness.

I also use this for underarms and bikini waxing. Paper strips can be quite harsh.

If you waxed over the same area a few times this will happen. I now always recommend to clients that they use nappy cream after any facial waxing for 24-48 hrs. Don't worry too much. X

Warm wax and paper strip and the wax is a babyyliss gold if I remember correctly she uses a strong acne cream on her forehead I wonder if this may be the cause xx
You shouldn't wax anyone using acne medication as it will tears lumps off the skin. You should really wait about 6 months or longer after they've finished using it.

I think with this client it's because you used strip wax and although you tried not to, you must have gone over the same area again.

In future, if you only use strip wax, wax once and then tweeze.

Keep your chin up........this can happen for no rhyme or reason.

Treatments for acne often contain higher levels of vitamin A which can cause the skin to 'graze' when it is waxed.
Sometimes, avoiding the brow area with the cream for a week before waxing can help (as recommended by a well respected geek on here). I have a lot of clients on higher levels of vitamin A and have resorted to plucking and am considering training in threading to avoid this. From what I have read, the problems can still occur with non strip wax as well.

Hope that helps,
Vicki x

Try not to beat yourself up about this. Many of us have been there and done that and sometimes it takes a few hiccups to realise how we could have perhaps done things differently.

Firstly, may I ask what method of waxing you used? Did you use a paper or material strip to remove the wax or did you apply a hot wax strip and then directly remove the wax strip?

I applied hot wax to the brow, then applied a fabric strip and removed.

Thanks for all the replies... I do threading so think this maybe the best option while she is pregnant, she's never had this happen before she was pregnant! X

I applied hot wax to the brow, then applied a fabric strip and removed.

Thanks for all the replies... I do threading so think this maybe the best option while she is pregnant, she's never had this happen before she was pregnant! X

I think the question means did you use hot wax which you remove without a strip or strip wax that you remove with a strip :)

I think the question means did you use hot wax which you remove without a strip or strip wax that you remove with a strip :)

My mistake! Been a long day and I'm tired...
It was warm wax removed with a strip! Not hot wax!!

I agree with what others have said re. Hot Wax. Just to reassure you a little that I have very tough skin, but can not wax my face at all when pregnant, my skin changes completely and is unpredictable.
If she is using VitA products, this is not generally advisable in pregnancy, I hope this is under medic supervision. Usually they stop you from using anything containing it :-/ although as already mentioned other ingredients in acne creams can also cause sensitivity. I would make a note of it and encourage her to look after the area to prevent infection. x

I agree with what others have said re. Hot Wax. Just to reassure you a little that I have very tough skin, but can not wax my face at all when pregnant, my skin changes completely and is unpredictable.
If she is using VitA products, this is not generally advisable in pregnancy, I hope this is under medic supervision. Usually they stop you from using anything containing it :-/ although as already mentioned other ingredients in acne creams can also cause sensitivity. I would make a note of it and encourage her to look after the area to prevent infection. x

My pregnant client is not using VitA tablets ( I always check and would not wax if she was!) It was someone else enquiring about their client.
Think she just has sensitive skin while pregnant.
Thanks.

My pregnant client is not using VitA tablets ( I always check and would not wax if she was!) It was someone else enquiring about their client.
Think she just has sensitive skin while pregnant.
Thanks.

That's great, creams, lotions any topicals containing VitA/retinols are also generally contra indicated during pregnancy alongside corticosteroids etc... But a medic will sometimes prescribe certain things depending on issues. I had to check well over all of my skin products as most active products I generally use contain it so thought I would mention just in case, sometimes clients don't know :-/ as for sensitivity my skin changed completely during pregnancy...nightmare!

Latest posts

Back