waxing oil v talc

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulabelle

Reaction score
I've been using pre wax oil for a while now instead of talc after reading a number of threads on here.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some benefits of using oil rather than talc on the skin. I know the oil forms a lipid barrier to stop the wax adhering to the skin, but apart from this are there any other oil pros or talc cons?

Thanks x

Talc is carcinogenic so you'd be better off with oil.

I use both and will continue to use talc until my insurance company tell me I cant.
It depends on the area i'm waxing as to what I will use. I usually use oil on the face and sometimes bikini line.
Talc I use on underarms esp in the summer.
I sometimes find on certain parts the oil is just too oily (yes even after I dab it) and tends to not grab the hair so well. Usually if the client is naturally quite a sweaty one.

Hi sorry to interrupt this thread - which oil would you recommend? I use Hive pre wax spray and use to use talc before I heard about the carcinogenic link.
Thank you!

Talc is carcinogenic so you'd be better off with oil.

There are now many talc free options. Many of the natural baby powder suppliers use cornstarch now as do the feminine powder makers.I use mainly oil but on some real sweaty bettys only powder will do for me,and i use Femfresh.

In college we were trained using talc, but as Gillian says there are talc free powders.

Personally I now prefer to use oil. It is less messy than talc and the Jasmine oil from Peron Rigot smells lovely.

Hi sorry to interrupt this thread - which oil would you recommend? I use Hive pre wax spray and use to use talc before I heard about the carcinogenic link.
Thank you!
I use Perron Rigot Jasmine oil you can use any refined mineral oil as your pre wax oil.

Hi
Hope i don't sound to thick, i haven't done waxing for a while but interested in this talc versus oil, i also was taught to use talc at college only last year, and was taught to use this with just hot wax for bikini and underarms. So i am assuming the oil is used for the same purpose and not with cool wax? as the strips wouldn't adhere? please could you just confirm this incase i do any future waxing and will try the oil especially if the talc is known to be carciogenic (oops can't spell) lol

Thanks for all your replies.

Before I switched I was using a 'dusting powder' rather than proper old fashioned talc & now I'm using the PR jasmine oil which as I say I love. I find that I get less erythema (esp on faces) now I use oil & presume this is down to the fact that the wax no longer adheres to the skin.

I use oil for both my strip & non-strip waxing.

Started thinking about this cos I was discussing it with a client the other day. Told her about the lipid barrier aspect but just wondered if there were any other particular benefits of using oil over 'talc'.

x

I use Lycon pre wax oil, it's nice and light.

My view is probably not balanced on the subject of talc and cancer. I err on the side of caution because I lost both my mother and grandmother to ovarian cancer and was told by the doctor that talc is linked to that specific cancer.

I know you can't avoid everything that's bad for you but some things are easy to avoid, like talc!

I was about to post the same link as Martin. This is one of those situations that has blown out of proportion about Talc causing cancer.

Another good reason to use oil instead - its a lot tidier and less messy!

Mat

Hi, i'm pretty sure i wasn't trained to use oil or talc for warm wax at college. we used pre-treatment spray is this what is meant by oil? n is waxing easier if oil is applied before? i use hive pre-treatment spray but was trained at college to apply with cotton wool. Please can someone clear this up for me? x

Hi, i'm pretty sure i wasn't trained to use oil or talc for warm wax at college. we used pre-treatment spray is this what is meant by oil? n is waxing easier if oil is applied before? i use hive pre-treatment spray but was trained at college to apply with cotton wool. Please can someone clear this up for me? x

I think maybe what you're describing is a pre wax cleanser, ie to remove any surface oils from the skin so that the wax applies better. Xx

The pre-treatment spray or pre wax cleanser is not oil. You use the spray first and then put a tiny bit of oil on your hands and rub over the area. But you only use a tiny bit, until you master how much to use, you'll probably then have to dab the area to get rid of the excess oil.

There are some wax oils on the market but I just use my plain unscented massage oil.

Latest posts

Back