Waxing problem, advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolleok89

Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first post! Got a call this evening from another co-worker claiming a client I waxed yesterday came in to complain.

The client has been waxed by me numerous times but offhand I can't actually remember the last time she was in the salon.

She had a full leg wax including bikini at approx 12pm.

She said by the evening he legs were itchy. When she woke she found little white pimples on the bottom half of her legs only.

She returned to the salon today where my co-worker refunded her money and advised her to apply aloe Vera. My co-worker seen the legs and said they were definitely not burnt just has white pimples across shins.

She was very unhappy and began shouting at my co-worker "that this was serious"

I rang her myself after my co-worker called me and she was quite hostile saying she was very sore. She said she went to the local chemist and they advised to go to the doctor.

I used same products as always and used a new roller wax again which I have always used. I am so shocked I have never had a client to react like this or be unhappy with a treatment. Can anyone advise me on this matter?

This is a possible and common adverse reaction to waxing. Either caused by the client not following aftercare or the body not being happy with having its hair brutally yanked out! I tell clients this on my website, aftercare advice card and verbally after every treatment. She said her legs were itchy the night before and I bet she had her grubby fingers all over them. Maybe an angry unreasonable client is one you could do without anyway. I wouldn’t refund in such a situation as it’s not your fault.

Some clients get this reaction after waxing and for most people it's nothing too serious.

I advise clients to apply a little anti histamine cream or take a few anti histamine tablets in the days after their waxing (provided they can do that) and for most clients that helps the situation.

A little aloe vera or witchazel is also really good for soothing the skin and helps to reduce the itch.
Often men that have chest waxing for the first time have a similar reaction and this aftercare often helps.

I would not rush to offer a refund just offer suitable aftercare advice and hope that it settles down as it sounds like a common reaction and nothing more than that.

Good luck

If it were me, I'd want to have seen her legs and had a chance to assess the situation. Very silly if your co-worker to give a refund as that should have been your decision.

It could have been anything. Did you use a different aftercare lotion? Anything different at all? She may have had tight leggings on or put perfumed lotion on afterwards so it would wanted to have checked it out.

Having said all that, if it's something that's genuinely not her doing, then a refund and a kind word would have been good customer service.

Thank you very much for replies everyone very much appreciated!

I was also shocked to hear of the refund as this is not our usual policy at all.

Everything was the same I had clean couch roll on the bed, used pre wax and the usual roller wax, I also used a after wax oil spray all of the same products we have always used.

My boyfriend had experience breakout activity after a chest wax but he did not follow after care his did pass I was jus shocked to hear she was "sore" and was recommended to see a doctor surely a chemist would of advised an antihistamine?

Thank you all again.

I rang her myself after my co-worker called me and she was quite hostile saying she was very sore. She said she went to the local chemist and they advised to go to the doctor.

Bear in mind this probably never happened, people feel the need to exaggerate so they get taken more seriously. A pharmacist would not have referred her to a doctor unless there was obvious sign of infection, I worked in a pharmacy & this it's standard procedure to recommend a anti-histamine/topical cream, if it doesn't show signs of clearing up in 3 days then see a doctor.

She's probably just a little sensitive due to the change in weather recently, skin can become fragile & sensitive dependant on the season. My skin always gets grumpy when seasons change. I don't think she should have been refunded though as you mentioned, let us hope she doesn't make a habit of it! Also take into account that some people would go to A&E because of a papercut, she might have just needed a cup of 'Man the F up!' I had a friend like this...did my head in listening to her moan about nothing.

Last edited:
Any of us can develop allergies at any time in our lives and at some times are more sensitive than others.

This is a good learning example for us to make sure our clients are educated enough to understand Contra-actions of waxing and other treatments. All of my clients are aware that this reaction can happen at any time to any of them and that it is not dangerous unless it becomes infected by scratching. They also know that antihistamines are the best go to treatment.

We learn as we go, put this down to experience my darling and inform your work colleagues too so that they do not rush to a refund in the future. :)

Hi There,

I'm allergic to wax on my legs, I'm a beauty therapist and through my own choice I still have my legs waxed. My legs go very very red and white lump like hives appear and they itch for hours. I know I sound mad putting myself through it but I hate shaving. I just slap a load of aloe vera on and get on with it within about 24 hours my legs are back to normal. It sounds like your client had a similar reaction. Other thing is if I have a shower too soon makes it ten times worse.

Thanks again folks great advice and I think this is definitely a learning curve must ensure each and every client is educated properly about any and every wax treatment I think you assume they know it but once they walk out that salon door they play by their own rules!

My boss rang the client in question today and no answer so left her a voicemail we have yet to hear from her but I have been instructed to call her again before the end of the day.

I will let people know if anything comes of the situation! I just got such a fright I would hate to think I hurt or caused anyone pain unnecessarily!...

Thanks a million again folks really appreciated!!!
N x

Latest posts

Back