Waxing - pull direction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch-ela

Reaction score
Still quite new to waxing and waiting to book a course with Kim, but I really want to know all the ins and outs of it. I love it so far.

Anyway, to my question. When using hot wax, why do we remove the hair against the growth? I read somewhere that with sugaring, the hair is removed in the direction it grows, can this not be done with wax too?
What about strip wax?

I sugar and wax. As you say you remove sugar in the direction and wax against. I haven't found a wax that can effectively remove in the direction even tho some are sold as such.

I sugar and wax. As you say you remove sugar in the direction and wax against. I haven't found a wax that can effectively remove in the direction even tho some are sold as such.

I would like to understand why this is. Does sugar have more grip on the hair?
What happens when I remove hot wax in the direction of hair growth? Will the hair break off?
I'm not planning on doing things against what I have been taught, I would just like to know more about it.
Thanks

I would like to understand why this is.

So would I!

You can remove hot wax in the direction but generally you need to use jerking motion (known by some as the stepping technique). This is only good on small areas of really short stubbly hair and is too time consuming to do general waxing. You probably won't break hair but just not pull it all out.

I may be wrong but sugar paste may be a non-newtonian fluid like custard (look it up!). It's almost like it's fluid one second then the moment you pull it off it's a solid very briefly. As sugar is natural it can seep into the skin a little and hold on to the shaft of a hair slightly below the skin.

In answer....I have no idea! but by far my clients are choosing sugar over wax now.

I have recently tried euro blonde applying against the hair growth and removing in the direction of hair growth and all intimate stubborn hair removed quite painlessly. I have spent many years mixing my own which was a pain, but have found with the right technique euroblonde does it :)
Hoping to get in touch with PR soon to get some samples of there other wax to have a play (on myself of course) :)

Some waxes are applied against the hair growth but the newer waxes are usually applied in the direction of hair growth.

I know what you mean though and I have experimented in applying and removing all different ways. Try and pull it off in the direction of hair growth and you'll note that it tugs and can break the hair.

This is great on short stubborn hair but not so good on longer hair. x

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Who would have thought hair removal was so fascinating. It'll certainly keep me busy.
I definitely want to look more into sugaring. Need to practice my waxing first though.

Some waxes are applied against the hair growth but the newer waxes are usually applied in the direction of hair growth.

I know what yo mean though and I have experimented in applying and removing all different ways. try and pull it off in the direction of hair growth and you'll note that it tugs and can break the hair.

This is great on short stubborn hair but not so good on longer hair. x

The hair i tried it on was approx 1cm maybe a smidge longer in some areas, not sure i fancy trying to grow it longer lol
so guessing that's not gonna work, back to mixing :(

I have just booked myself in for a speed waxing course with Kim. I can't tell you how excited I am!

I have just booked myself in for a speed waxing course with Kim. I can't tell you how excited I am!

Is this the 26th Aug one? Just clarifying childcare for that day then I shall be doing the same!

Latest posts

Back