Waxing rules

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey all
Quick waxing question which I've always wondered!

If you train in level 2 or equivalent in basic waxing using hot and warm wax, and then train in-house at your salon etc in intimate waxing, can you then be covered by your insurance company?

Or is this simply down to individual insurers- some like ABT just state they cover you for "warm and hot wax" and don't specify area and others like BABTAC seem to specify "Brazilian"?

It seems very unclear?

Can Anyone help?

You would need to speak to your own insurance company. I know on here before it seemed to be a bit of a grey area. I trained in hot wax at college, but wouldn't even attempt a Brazilian without training, so at least I know I'm now covered, but in house training can be a little different! Perhaps insured under the business umbrella, but not if you go it alone!!!

Vicki x

It's a very grey area isn't it?! The basic courses cover high bikini - so when in the eyes of insurance, does it become a Brazilian for instance?

I'd say one word - lips (sorry, labia)!!!

Once you start doing them, you really are beyond a bikini!

Lol! Ok
I will find out more details from the insurers!
Thanks

X

Labia are the Bain of my existence at the moment. Not easy to do even when trained :) lol

Hey all
Quick waxing question which I've always wondered!

If you train in level 2 or equivalent in basic waxing using hot and warm wax, and then train in-house at your salon etc in intimate waxing, can you then be covered by your insurance company?

Or is this simply down to individual insurers- some like ABT just state they cover you for "warm and hot wax" and don't specify area and others like BABTAC seem to specify "Brazilian"?

It seems very unclear?

Can Anyone help?
Hazel it's always best to talk to your insurers as they at have different views on this and depends on the policy agreement that the salon owner may hold for the treatments that they offer.

Jack

Hazel the beauty industry is going to be changing very soon and all of the insurance company's will be falling in to the same bracket so it will be self regulated before some outsiders regulate it, we have personal knowledge of this as we have been having some discussions with babtac over this !

Everyone will have to have a minimum of level 2 or equivalent and then after that, any further courses can be done at a lower level, so there fore it may be a good idea with how things are going to change, to do a course with someone

Kind regards
John

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Labia are the Bain of my existence at the moment. Not easy to do even when trained :) lol

I think I have just cracked them - so to speak!!!

Just had a client in who I had a real problem with last time, and all went smoothly - yay!!!
Have had some great advice from fellow geeks who knew I was struggling!

Vicki x

Hazel the beauty industry is going to be changing very soon and all of the insurance company's will be falling in to the same bracket so it will be self regulated before some outsiders regulate it, we have personal knowledge of this as we have been having some discussions with babtac over this !

Everyone will have to have a minimum of level 2 or equivalent and then after that, any further courses can be done at a lower level, so there fore it may be a good idea with how things are going to change, to do a course with someone

Kind regards
John

Hi decadence

Sorry I'm not fully understanding? But of a newbie to all this so bear with me.

So soon everyone has to have level 2 then it's regulated by each insurer?
I've got level 2, and am doing kim lawless speed waxing soon. But won't be able to afford to do intimate with kim till later on in the year so wasn't sure if I was in house trained I would be covered?
I think from what your saying I won't be?

It's starting to look that way yes, as you have done level 2 then no problem but those that have not done level 2 but try to get into industry by using other routes other than level 2 or equivalent then they will have to retrain!

As for continued training it then doesn't matter although I suspect that they may want formal qualifications other than in house but as said check with insurers.

On another note this will be something being taken on by all insurers so changing to another insurance company is not a option!

We have taken 2 beauty courses 1 in waxing 1 in eyebrow tinting/threading both of which are accredited by babtac, and babtac have now told us that in about a years time, we will no longer be insured and will have to upgrade our courses!

Regards
John

It's starting to look that way yes, as you have done level 2 then no problem but those that have not done level 2 but try to get into industry by using other routes other than level 2 or equivalent then they will have to retrain!

As for continued training it then doesn't matter although I suspect that they may want formal qualifications other than in house but as said check with insurers.

On another note this will be something being taken on by all insurers so changing to another insurance company is not a option!

We have taken 2 beauty courses 1 in waxing 1 in eyebrow tinting/threading both of which are accredited by babtac, and babtac have now told us that in about a years time, we will no longer be insured and will have to upgrade our courses!

Regards
John

ok thats good to know

Thanks!

Hi guys. Sorry just in from work so not read all the replies but had an email from a concerned student telling me about this thread so I've popped on before the take away arrives.

I've been informed by BABTAC that ALL of my courses are considered of a high enough standard to be covered by them for insurance, so no need to have trained previously.

However, you don't have to get insured with BABTAC if you don't want to so choose any insurance company that you like.

Hope that puts all of my students (past and future) minds at rest.:hug:

Last edited:
Hi decadence

Sorry I'm not fully understanding? But of a newbie to all this so bear with me.

So soon everyone has to have level 2 then it's regulated by each insurer?
I've got level 2, and am doing kim lawless speed waxing soon. But won't be able to afford to do intimate with kim till later on in the year so wasn't sure if I was in house trained I would be covered?
I think from what your saying I won't be?

The way that I understand it is that they are regulating the beauty industry so that the short courses that are available now by all companies may not be covered for insurance unless they are classed as equivalent to Level 2 standard or you have been to college and qualified up to Level 2 prior to doing the short course.

This means that anyone entering into the world of beauty and grooming may not be able to do a short course and then be able to get insurance without having been to college and studied up to Level 2.

However, as you'll see from my previous post, ALL of my courses are considered of a high standard and will be covered so no need to worry if you have, or will be training with me.

I can only speak for my own courses as I don't know about others.

Hope that explains things a little bit for you.

Actually I think this will be a really good thing for the industry even if for some of us a one or two things need to be looked at !

At least it will give the paying clients a better pool of people to choose from, and the people providing the treatments will be of a better standard and insured.

But of course there will still be those people working from home and advertising on Facebook that will continue and will not be insured, but we can't do much about that but at least it's a start, before the government steps in and regulates it them selves !

By the way we work from home and are mobile so no disrespect to those that do

What happens to people currently working who haven't been trained to level 2 but now have years of industry experience? Or the treatments that aren't covered In level 2?

What happens to people currently working who haven't been trained to level 2 but now have years of industry experience? Or the treatments that aren't covered In level 2?
I think you'll be fine. This is for future therapists and courses but best check with your insurer as they'll be the ones to tell you best.

Training will need to be upgraded to level 2 or equivalent, or insurance will not be possible

Regards

I have a email from the accreditation manager at babtac stating this !
However I'm sure Kim is more up to date on this as She has been dealing with this, my information is 2 months old

Hi do you know if this is just going to apply to waxing or other treatments like lash and brow tinting?
I do think its a good thing but for those like me who did short courses years ago and have vast experience it's hard on and to carry on with part of my business will have to payout more money!

Ok well I think I'm just gonna have to save up to do Kim's intimate waxing course later this year! Excellent news that it's considered level 2 though!!!!
Xxx

Latest posts

Back