Ways to save money in 2010?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angeleyes01

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas how to make a medium sized salon more cost effective in 2010 without compromising on the customers experience?

:confused:

hi , im not a salon owner , but i know from working in salons - that no boiler-no water-no clients , so to avoid a big bill and to keep the electric/gas bills down id say - service your boiler

The only thing you can do is try and be more efficient with every thing. May be if you have any unused rooms lower the heating, turn off lights etc. Any areas that are used for clients obviously still need to be lit and warm. If you send your laundry out shop around. The same with all your supplies, every ones is feeling the pinch so there are better deals to be had. If you have a credit card machine write to your provider and ask them for a better rate you could say you have been quoted better elsewhere. HTH xx

Hii,angel!!

May I know your location to start the salon?

Another idea is you can visit your nearby salon and find out that which things are essential for salon and which are least important. So you can skip those things which are not so important for you right now at the beginning.
Right!!:)

I do a lot of brow waxing and the client in on the couch for only a few minutes, but it still requires me to renew the couch roll after each of them.
Most times it's only crushed, not torn or dirty.
I use most of the used couch roll on my nail desk, or for clients to stand on while I'm spray tanning them. It can also be used to wash my windows and sinks. I like to think I'm doing my bit for the environment too !!!
Also, I don't buy expensive fragrant massage oils. I buy massage oil by the gallon, decant it into smaller bottles and add a couple of drops of lavender or geranium oil (about 6 drops per 500ml).
Check to see if you can get cheaper electric or telephone rates from other companies. Keep a check on the phone to see if employees are using it for personal calls.
Look for cheaper alternatives in the advertising dept.
If you pay for professional cleaning, accountantancy, web designer etc etc - get cheaper quotes.
I'm lucky as I work alone and can economise as I go, but lay it on the line with your therapists and hopefully they'll realise that it could mean the difference as to whether they will still have their jobs next year !!!:eek:

HTHs:hug:

I recently changed all my lights in my salon which saved me about £40 a month. I changed my PDQ provider which saved me more money. I always fone around to get the best deals on gas, electric, telephone etc....
I've just recently started ordering from salonserve which is a lot cheaper than most suppliers. When i do a stock order at capital, i always go on vat free day.
I buy my tissues at tesco..........every little helps :lol:

3 years ago I did this and had a real good look at what I was doing. My main savings were made by changing suppliers. Massive savings actually and I almost halved my costs on supplies without risking quality. Hairdressing will be slightly different in the respect of tints etc but have a look at where you get the rest of your stuff from.

Salonserve, which has already been mentioned, is excellent value for disposables etc, have a look at their website, there is loads of stuff on there. You can order over the telephone and they are really helpful and orders over £50 are P&P free with next day delivery normally.

You really will feel better once you manage to save a bit of money. By the way I also agree about gas, elec, boilers etc too! :)

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas how to make a medium sized salon more cost effective in 2010 without compromising on the customers experience?

:confused:

1. Don’t forget your marketing. Most of the high street is having sales. You need to compete.

2. Cut cost everywhere.

3. I have found Salonserve to me much cheaper than most and quality good. Friendly girls on the phone.

4. If you have therapists doing nothing. Make them redundant. I know it hurts but better the business survives to re-employ, than going bust. Get good advice about this.

Hi,

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and for giving such good advice. It's really nice to have people to talk to and compare notes with.

I've had a chat with the bank about credit card rates - mine will hopefully be lowered. I'm getting the boiler serviced this week so hopefully that'll help. I have been using Easydry for disposable manicure, hair and bath towels and I'm happy with their prices and services. I'll have to check what else Salon Serve have since a few of you gave them a strong recommendation.

Thanks again everyone. It's much appreciated.

Splitting couch roll,double a couch roll!!Cut wax strips to size,i.e dont use a whole sheet for underarm wax,it's not needed.Make sure you dont have too much wastage with eyelash tints, shorter,sparcer lashes dont need as much mixed up as thicker/longer lashes.Not using too much with facial products,it amazes me how thick therapists apply facial masks....as long as you have coverage then that's fine,it doesn't need to be 3 inches thick.Splitting cotton wool rounds.....lots of other things like this.:green:

Shutting doors and turning off lights....,making your own appointment cards and aftercare leaflets...list goes on but hope that has helped a little.:)

PS I dont agree about making girls redundant then getting new staff when business picks up at all.Clients dont LIKE a big staff changeover,they get used to the therapist and dont like change.This would lose you business..I have been in same salon now for 6 and a half years and our clients not only keep coming back because they like our treatments but because they build up a bond with us.We know about their problems,their needs and a bond is sealed.Changing staff when not busy is going to mean the new therapists will then have to rebuild their column which takes time,and possible even more loss.

I would suggest if you were going through a quiet time that you get your therapists cleaning,tidying,possibly give them a reduction in hours if really needed.You could make them redundant then get really busy and trying to get good,trustworthy staff in a short space of time is a logistic nightmare.

Last edited:
I agree with the above posts. We had an efficiency drive. Ordering only whats needed, cutting waste where possible. We changed banks for cheaper banking. It is important not to lower your standards tho. Our clients are very switched on, and would know if we were substituting products. Babsann makes a great point re staff. Avoid redundancies where possible with your core staff. Mine had to put up with no juniors for a while last year when things were tight. Thankfully we are past that now, but I'm glad that we didnt make our staff suffer losing their jobs or pay cuts.

Thanks again to those who replied for sharing your experience and your ideas with me.

Latest posts

Back