website design person?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
does anyone know someone who can design my site using my existing urls i have 3 pointing to my site already and would like to keep them..
or would i need to get a whole new url?

i know exactly what im after design wise but need someone who can do it for me.. thanks

Hello, keeping your urls shouln't be an issue, you will not have to change anything except the pages. I take it you have the hosting all sorted too.
PM me if you woul like to give me more details and can outline costs for you.

yes they are currently with webs but i cant do the sort of thing i wont through webs

so you need to actually move the pages to a different host with more functionality. In that case you may be able to redirect the urls to point to the new host or you may have to move the web address to the new host too. It really depends if the company you registered your domain name(s) with allow redirection . Redirecting may also have an impact on any email addresses you have using your domain name, so it may make more sense transferring them to your new host with all the functionality you require

so you need to actually move the pages to a different host with more functionality. In that case you may be able to redirect the urls to point to the new host or you may have to move the web address to the new host too. It really depends if the company you registered your domain name(s) with allow redirection . Redirecting may also have an impact on any email addresses you have using your domain name, so it may make more sense transferring them to your new host with all the functionality you require

Can you not also enslave the {meta http-equiv="refresh"} tag? for a default index.html page? Forgive me - I don't know if WEBs supports FTP or forces you to use their templates.

I'd contact Ruth. She's been a great help win my website. She designed and built my website, has her own hosting server and answers all my stupid emails, lol.

Usually the easiest thing to do with domains registered with webs.com to point them to an alternative web host is to change the nameserver settings for the domains in question; I've done that for clients who previously had sites with webs.com in the past and wanted to keep their existing domains but wanted a bespoke website design rather than a webs.com template.

Alternatively, you could consider transferring the domains from webs.com to another company; the company I always recommend for domain names is 123-reg, 123-reg | Domain names | Domain name registration - that is because of their competitive pricing and because they offer you excellent control of DNS settings, as well as providing email forwarding services too, all for no extra charge on top of the domain name itself.

But there should be no real technical issue with being able to do what you want either way.

Can you not also enslave the {meta http-equiv="refresh"} tag? for a default index.html page? Forgive me - I don't know if WEBs supports FTP or forces you to use their templates.

That's one way of doing it. My personal preference is to use Apache directives to force a "302" redirect for a particular domain, e.g. if someone enters "mysite.com" then Apache returns a "302" redirect telling the browser to go to "www.mysite.com"

But the meta tag technique you have mentioned is the best method if you don't have direct access to the web server's configuration.

Yes, for emails, you would almost certainly need some sort of email forwarding, either to a single POP3 mailbox to receive emails from all your domains, or to an alternative email address, e.g. at an ISP, or a Yahoo, GMail or Hotmail account.

It is a big help if the domain provider is able to provide one or more Mail Exchangers (specified in the DNS settings as "MX records") - this is certainly possible with 123-reg.co.uk - where you can specify "A" records (with the IP address of the server you want the DNS entry to map on to), e.g. the "www" record to specify the IP address of the web server - but then it's possible to set the "MX records" to use 123-reg's mail servers, so you are then able to take advantage of their email forwarding - which is useful if you don't want your dedicated server to accept incoming email for security/spam prevention reasons.

Latest posts

Back