Weight loss surgery

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollie1985

Reaction score
Hi I'm wondering if any geeks have had weight loss surgery of any kind,basically I'm 29 and 5.2 and weigh 12 stone and a size 16 now I know I'm not massively overweight but for my height I'm classed as obese I would love to lose 2 stone and iv tried every diet going I just don't have the willpower which I don't know why cos I am so depressed about it iv actually just lay in a bath and cried in feel so horrible 😢Iv tried going to gyms,out walking etc and trying to fit this around work and a young child I'm finding hard and I'm considering any options for surgery (I know some people may see this as a cop out as I do myself but I'm honestly at my lowest that il do anything) so if anyone has and wants to share any advice if be grateful x

My strong advice to you is to let the knife be your last option! I have seen 2 cases in the last couple of years with terrible complications! That's just my experience though and I imagine
you will probably get positive feedback too.

I agree with Tonicj, surgery should be the very last resort and only if your health depends on it.
I found trying to lose weight whilst depressed was near impossible, I felt like I was in a vicious cycle. Having tried all kinds of different things I tried the Lighter life diet last year and was very happy with the results.
I'm sorry to hear that you are upset, but I think it is quite therapeutic to have a good sob/cry, it makes you feel much better after.
Hope you can find some answers without surgery.

Hiya thanks or both replies I understand there are risks and that's what puts me off and I do feel I'm looking at a last resort as I can't seem to think of any other way I'm so frustrated with myself that I can't seem to stick to any diets etc think il maybe try slimming world again 😢think your right about trying to do it when your depressed xx

You are possibly not in the right frame of mind at the moment, and that makes a huge difference. Set yourself small goals and don't be too hard on yourself.
Treat yourself to something nice... but not anything food! How about a nice treatment somewhere? Or wrap up warm and go for a half hour walk tomorrow. Get yourself some positive things in your life and then take it from there.
Good luck!

Try not to be too hard on yourself. If dieting alone isn't working then try setting small exercise goals. I've read a quote from a female trainer who said to look at exercising as a chore, similar to how you would make yourself go to school when you were young not because you liked to or enjoyed school but because you had no choice. Look at exercise the same way as you would with daily chores or routines (brushing your teeth, taking a shower etc). Rewards are just as important as setting and completing your goals but as long as it doesn't involve food so maybe a mini Mani/pedi/massage etc.

What's hard for you now is motivation and unfortunately there are no quick fixes to long term results. What might help is cutting back on sugar, fat and oils. Every time you feel the urge to snack, drink a glass of water instead. I read that our brain sometimes confuses thirst for hunger. I've previously tried the Dukan diet and in 5 days lost 6kgs, but it's not how much you lose that's hard but how well you keep it off. Get your friends and child involved in exercising. Join a walking group. Avoid lifts and escalators and always take the stairs. Drink plenty of water. Avoid shopping when hungry.

Unfortunately low self esteem fuels depression so find things you enjoy doing first to boost your confidence in yourself, then try focusing really hard on your weight goal. Remember to keep trying. :)

From me it is a massive NO NO NO NO NO to surgery!

Speaking from experience it is not all it is cracked up to be. You are not nearly at a high enough BMI to even be considered by the NHS and I would say any decent bariatric surgeon will also turn you down.

What type are you thinking? Balloon? Band? Sleeve? Bypass?

With every method you still need will power - just because you can't eat a lot will you be able to only eat small portions of good food - which will be hard to digest. Or will you be unable to magically change your eating habits just because you have had some surgery and still eat crisps and chocolate which go down far easier.

Also be prepared to always, ALWAYS need to know where the nearest bathroom is - any food eaten in public can and often does make a swift reappearance. Never as nice second time round.

Oh and that's if you do ever eat out - as you can't eat more than a bowl of soup at a time and you can forget about being able to wash your food down with a drink. Only enough space for one or the other.

I am honestly speaking from personal experience - I am sure there are others who have had more success with surgery. But the people I have met along the way have had more bad than good. You don't get to be 23 stone + like I was without liking your food - and that really doesn't change just by getting 2/3rds of your stomach cut away.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but surgery is not an easy option - definitely go for something like Slimming World to start with. You need to try and change your eating habits - easier said than done I know!

First step is admitting to yourself that you want to change, so well done for that - making ca change is so hard, believe me I know :(
Good luck xx

Have you talked to a counsellor?

I saw a hypnotherapist for a series of sessions to help me with me bad eating habits. A lot of these things are emotional and connected to the sub conscious, we don't know how to break the link alone and need help.

My therapist has had clients who had drastic surgery and it made no difference. They just liquidised Mars bars to eat them instead.

They thought the problem was purely physical ... It could like me be an emotional / mental issue. If you don't address that first surgery may not help.

I still have hypnotherapy three or four times a year to help me and keep my bad eating habits at bay.

I know I may get shouted down for this, but one of my besties had hypnotherapy for weight loss, but the therapist was also a counsellor, so looked into her eating habits and what may have caused them (VERY interesting). She lost about 1.5 stones following her treatment, and then found the confidence and motivation to have personal training in a gym to improve her fitness and lose a lot more.

One little tip that may (or may not) help, I got from a tv show - yr stomach is about the size of a clenched fist - therefore that is amount you need to fill it! Take a good look at the amount you put on your plate, and anything more than a fistfull is excess. I lost over a stone just doing that! hth and good luck xxxxxxxxx

Fozzyo, we were obviously replying at the same time lol!

Hi, have you spoke to your gp, I too was like you, I'm 5'3" and at my heaviest was 16 stone and no matter how much I cut my calories nothing budged, I eventually went to see the doc as so depressed about it, he did some tests and I was found to have pcos, after starting treatment it kick started the weight loss and I am now down to a size ten, I constantly have to be watching my weight but at least now cutting the calories and moving more was working, please don't beat yourself up over it, all women are beautiful and what our bodies can do is amazing , have you never noticed how some men are mesmerized by a nice pair of boobs :biggrin: surgery is such a drastic option , I always think we all get old and wrinkly and that's the age where I can wear what I want and let it all hang out and nobody can say a dam thing !!!

I agree about the counsellor.

I've been overweight all my life and I don't really eat anymore than anyone else but I love carbs, so I totally understand how you feel.

But hey! Let's be positive as you really don't have that much to lose, so rather than think you want to lose four stone, aim for two.

There are slimming clubs, fast weight loss things which are great but people tend to put it all back on and more.

I'm determined to lose weight but being that I'm 55 in a few weeks time, I don't want to lose too much as it does you no favours around the face.

I'd even booked myself in for a tummy tuck but that's had to be cancelled as I need surgery on my bowel instead. Still a good reason to lose wright for the anaesthetic though.

My personal favourite is calorie counting, so why don't you get yourself a nice little notebook and pen and allow yourself 1200 calories a day and write down EVERYTHING that passes your lips. It's so easy these days as everything has the calories on.

Visualise yourself looking gorgeous and being healthy.

Good luck xx

Thanks for all the advice I feel a but better today and I definitely agree that surgery is a last option and I'm trying to think positive I only need and want to lose 2 stone so I'm going to start writing everything down starting from 2moro what I eat and drink and see where I can make changes hopefully can do this xx

try My Fitness Pal - it is an app for your phone or am sure you can download onto your laptop. It enables you to chart all your calories and it allows for your height/weight - how much you want to lose and also exercise etc.

Glad to hear you are feeling more positive today :) x x

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

Personally i think you should join a slimming group and find somewhere u live that does ultra sound fat cativation its called i do this on my clients fully trained results are fab. Surgery a last resort Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ment cavitation sorry stupid touch screen phones.lol.x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

don't do the surgery!

I watched a programme on it and the possible problems and complications are horrendous

rather than just looking at the weight - look at the root cause of your over eating

ask yourself why are you over eating?

whats causing this?

step back and take an overall picture of your life

and chick you know what things aren't that bad if you've got two legs and you're well and healthy be grateful for all the good things in your life and get out there and embrace it

I was about the same as you after the birth of my son. I was not happy so I went to Prague (as uou need to have a higher BMI in Uk) paid just under £3000 and got a gastric balloon fitted, it was horrible getting fitted it stays in you for six month and then you get it removed with huge discomfort. I lost weight for about the first week but your burps stink and you have dreadful side effects. I went back to Prague for removal and I had PUT ON weight, anyway they prescribed me super strong drugs which are now banned for weight loss which did work. Surgery does not work, especially foreign surgery! Unfortunately some people do not need three meals a day and should learn to function of less, which takes time to get used to. In the olden days many were poor and could only afford to eat once a day, we as a nation have got used to (including myself) stuffing our faces. Three meals, snacks, takeaways, booze and then jumping in our cars it's no wonder some are obese! At present I'm skipping lunch. My brother put on weight when his marriage broke up he lost 7 stones and has kept it off for 5 years by not drinking booze, eating no meat, no eggs or diary products and walking 8 miles a day with twice weekly weights (works for him). He is a tad skinny now though! He also buys the hottest chilli peppers as they increase metabolism. It is not a diet it is the way he eats now that and 20 fags a day even though he's a dr! My aunt is also a dr and she REALLY obese, god know how she tells people to sort out their diet!

Hiya thanks for your reply sorry you had an awful time yes iv definitely realised surgery isn't the answer so iv joined my local slimming world last night so here goes and really hope I stick to it xx

Hiya thanks for your reply sorry you had an awful time yes iv definitely realised surgery isn't the answer so iv joined my local slimming world last night so here goes and really hope I stick to it xx

I think there is a slimming world thread on here, you could join them for some tips and support. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back