Weird nail condition - need advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c1aire26

Reaction score
i am helping my mum to grow her nails after serious years of nail biting. She still bites them but i tell her off when i see her! i have been using OPI Nail Envy orginal formula on her nails and avolpex oil and 1 hand is growing really well and the other hand has no improvement, she is left handed and that is the hand that is growing really well, someone told me the hand u write with grows better? i don't understand how?
also on the hand that is growing a few nails have like vertical white lines running from the smile line to her cuticle. its hard to explain without seeing it. it is like the nail is merging/ bleeding with the pink part of the nail plate? any advice please

thanks

Hey the reason that peoples nails grow quicker on the hand a person writes with is that there is generally more movement, therefore more muscles, therefore more blood supply etc (I believe that is the reason). Without seeing the nails, there could be damage to the nail matrix which can cause the nail plate to grow with ridges etc? Of course we arn't doctors so she could ask the next time she is at her GP's. Would be interesting to know exactly! :)

thanks for replying . they are just white lines but not ridges cos i did buff the nails , smoothed them out and they are still there

could the white lines be leuconychia..?? white lines or spots in the nail plate and may be caused by tiny bubbles of air that are trapped in the nail plate layers due to trauma. This condition may be hereditary and no treatment is required as the spots will grow out with the nail plate.

thanks for replying . they are just white lines but not ridges cos i did buff the nails , smoothed them out and they are still there

To be fair you would help your mum much more by giving her a gift certificate for a natural nail manicure by a professional,
you could be causing damage to the nails if you are buffing out ridges without training and a professional would have more of an idea of what is wrong with your mums nails and the appropriate action to be taken hth :hug:

i would take her to a nail salon for a manicure , but she won't go! her nails are so bitten down , there is not really a nail on some fingers, she is embarressed to go have a manicure!!

Talk her into it. A therapist/nail tech will have seen ones similar. After all, what's better, letting her nails be seen by one person who is going to help her overcome her problems and give her good advice about her nail condition, or them being seen by all the people she encounters n her day to day life?

Did the nail have ridges before you buffed them? If so, could the lines be thinned nail plate from where you have buffed the ridges away?

I have to agree, i think your mum should go to a professional nail technician, otherwise her nails could get worse and have long lasting damage. Reasure your mum she shouldnt be embarrassed about her nails, as a beauty therapist i can asure you we have probably seen worse! :hug:

Latest posts

Back