What a shock from Sweet Squared!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey my comment re Northern Ireland was tongue in cheek!

I worked for a large UK retail group for years, they used to tell us when returning things back to warehouse etc to send it on back to the 'mainland'...we were terrible wind up merchants and used to have them going on the phone acting like we hadn't a notion where this mainland was! Most folk have moved on from being sensitive about UK & Ireland but still lot of Irish people get quite peeved at Ireland being referred to as part of UK or in the British Isles etc!

I was just being silly!
Sorry taken thread off topic:Scared:

I'm in Wales... I won't go any further lol

Thank you everyone for clarifying. Samantha, I wasn't saying that Jodie was wrong, it was just a shock that after all the time I have been ordering from Sweet Squared that it just changed all of a sudden. I wasn't aware of how your software worked so I automatically thought that if I spent over so much that the delivery would be free. Because we are part of the UK I didn't think to question whether it was mainland or not.
It may seem like a fair price to pay for some people but it's just so much for when you are ordering a lot of the time. Oh well, there you go. Every day is a school day. :)

I do feel sorry for you. But with the greatest of respect most places are like this. The same as if u live in jersey or isle of wight of scilly isles. They're not main land uk. It's not just Ireland. I know you must feel peed off. But to be fair to them s2 have paid a massive chunk of the postage. But unfortunately are having to pass some of the excess onto you. And maybe you need to reconsider ur price list and account for postage costs. Sorry for ur bad news :( xx

Tasha, if there is another salon not too far from you that you are friendly with and also uses CND, maybe you do a bulk order between you and split the P +P?

Or, failing that, difficult as this could be, try to run down on your complete stock on a level basis that you need to order across the product range all at the same time?

I've never sent flammable stuff so can't comment on that. However, I have sent many parcels to NI & yes, it's technically overseas, but it is still part of the UK. UK postage fees are the same from Royal Mail. To use a courier is only slightly more for NI

its like my address is technically classed as "highlands and islands" although i am in neither of the 2! so i cant get next day delivery but if i lived 15 minutes up the road i could!!! ha ha. never mind eh?

Hi there All and thank you for some great feedback. As posted previously - hazardous goods can not 'legally' be sent via Royal Mail - one of the most hazardous of all goods would be nail polish (believe it or not), Liquids, Powders etc... I hope that I have explained enough and appreciate some of the lovely supportive comments on here.

When we get together (Sam, Jim & I) we discuss postage at length and I agree with the NI girls - it is part of the UK and I am not sure why some things remain similar and somethings are way more, but the overseas part is really the problem we face when it comes to how much etc.

Thanks for listening and Tash - if you want to call us (or we call you) just PM me! :Love:

Is it just the flammable stuff that incurs high costs or general stuff too?

anything hazardous where we use our courier - Minx for example could be sent by Royal Mail but not Shellac, Liquids etc... HTH's

Thank you everyone for clarifying. Samantha, I wasn't saying that Jodie was wrong, it was just a shock that after all the time I have been ordering from Sweet Squared that it just changed all of a sudden. I wasn't aware of how your software worked so I automatically thought that if I spent over so much that the delivery would be free. Because we are part of the UK I didn't think to question whether it was mainland or not.
It may seem like a fair price to pay for some people but it's just so much for when you are ordering a lot of the time. Oh well, there you go. Every day is a school day. :)

I appreciate that Tasha and I can see why it was a shock after being treated as UK mainland - we certainly wouldn't expect you to understand our software (hell I certainly don't and I think Sam is the only one who can) but we had to change it when we realised. That's what I really thank you for - your understanding on why. If we could do it for the same as UK mainland - I promise you we would! :hug:

Thanks Samantha. Really appreciate your help. :) cx

Can't see the owner of ellisons explaining and understanding :)

A quick comparison on costs sending a 2kg parcel with Yodel.

From UK Mainland to UK Mainland £10.99 + VAT standard Next day. £6.50 + VAT Yodel 48

From UK Mainland to NI or Highland & Islands £15.36 + VAT takes 3 Days for delivery.

A quick comparison on costs sending a 2kg parcel with Yodel.

From UK Mainland to UK Mainland £10.99 + VAT standard Next day. £6.50 + VAT Yodel 48

From UK Mainland to NI or Highland & Islands £15.36 + VAT takes 3 Days for delivery.

haha, I did a quick comparison earlier too with the site I use and for non hazardous goods it would cost £6.99 + vat to the Mainland & £8.99 +vat for NI. Both were next day delivery. This is for a 3kg box.
However if you go to the Post Office, Mainland and NI is £10.30 (I forget the pence but something like that anyway) for 1st class which has usually been next day.

It pays to shop around :)

haha, I did a quick comparison earlier too with the site I use and for non hazardous goods it would cost £6.99 + vat to the Mainland & £8.99 +vat for NI. Both were next day delivery. This is for a 3kg box.
However if you go to the Post Office, Mainland and NI is £10.30 (I forget the pence but something like that anyway) for 1st class which has usually been next day.

I'm only guessing but for arguments sake

Yodel £10 + vat
Interlink £14 + vat

Interlink contract price with sweet squared £6 + vat

There will be a logical explanation why sweet squared contracts out their deliveries. I bet overall their delivery targets and contract price is better.

I just had a look at Yodel and a few others and they have restrictions as to what can be sent via their services, hazzardous goods are a no no with them.
As soon as it is flamable it falls under a different category and if they do allow flamables then the price goes up accordingly.
Just a thought xxxxx

Oh god sorry chick, you didn't think I was being funny with you did ya? :( x

Awww blue I'm sorry my fault I did yeah. No tone in text is there lovely :-( xxx lots of hugs

It surely does!

However, perhaps not all couriers carry certain hazardous substances? And, certainly, it will be much more expensive to handle those which are deemed unsafe for general distribution channels. Perhaps S2 have a good working relationship with their current courier; they know that their service is good and they don't want to chance their goods being delayed - cos, let's face it, we're all busy and don't always have downtime should the packages be delayed. Or perhaps they incentivise with contracts and targets.

Whatever the reason, it's not really for us to question - it is what it is.

As a daft aside, the above may seem expensive, but I once sent (half) an 8" carrot cake with Royal Mail next day and it cost me... £20. I almost had heart failure right there in the PO :eek:

So £18 for a whole box of amazing (and yet hazardous) goodies to travel on a ferry is, well.... sweet :D

Latest posts

Back