What a shock from Sweet Squared!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Well oh my gosh. I just phoned sweet squared about a missing item in my delivery and I was informed that because I am in ireland, I am now being charged £18 for p&p in all my orders!!!!! Even though northern Ireland is part of the uk!! I said that I had been ordering from sweet squared for years and this has never been the case. All my orders are quite large and I have always qualified for free delivery. Is this right? It seems a bit hefty to me. I might have consider changing to gelush because I can't cope with £28 postage every time!

Don't you think that your question would get a more meaningful response if you addressed it to a higher authority at S2 rather than to the general population on salon geek?

If it was I on the phone and it sounded as though the information I was getting was not quite right, I'd ask to speak to the manager for further clarity. I'd advise you to do that. I think then that you would be sure of the information and that it was correct for the reasons given or not. At least you would know immediately instead of getting possibly useless information from those who do not know.

I agree with geeg, hun

Phone sweetsquared, you will get your answer better from them obviously, then from here! :)

I know, of course Geeg is right, but even when I questioned the girl on the phone about it, she said that I had just been lucky and that's how it was! It was just a bit of a shock, that's all. I will contact sweet squared today. Thanks everyone. Xx

I don't think the girl is wrong. I contacted them a few months ago enquiring about lumous top and bottom and I was told the delivery to Northern Ireland would be £18 regardless of the size of the order.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Unfortunatley, this is correct. The reason for this is because it actually costs us £36 to send a consignment to NI as it is across water. For Minx only, we can do it via Royal Mail, otherwise its classed as potentially hazardous and we have to ship via a courier which is stupidly expensive.

So in short, we actually eat 50% of the cost to ship to you. That is why we only ship mainland on the web site :(

Well oh my gosh. I just phoned sweet squared about a missing item in my delivery and I was informed that because I am in ireland, I am now being charged £18 for p&p in all my orders!!!!! Even though northern Ireland is part of the uk!! I said that I had been ordering from sweet squared for years and this has never been the case. All my orders are quite large and I have always qualified for free delivery. Is this right? It seems a bit hefty to me. I might have consider changing to gelush because I can't cope with £28 postage every time!

Hey Crystaltash - thank you for the post. It's Samantha here and I am a little taken aback by this thread mainly because I was next to Jodie when she explained all of this to you over the phone but I have no problem in clarifying our actions so I hope the following helps.

So to our friends in overseas NI...

1. Sending to NI is classed as 'overseas' and not UK mainland - that is because - it IS overseas and not UK mainland.:biggrin:

2. Sweet Squared do not break the law and send hazardous goods through the post - it is against the law to send hazardous goods through the Royal Mail!

3. We use a courier company and we forward our goods to customers in a proper and professional manner. (We actually get wonderful comments by our customers on the high standard of our delivery system).

4. Due to the fact the NI is overseas, our courier company charges us £36 to courier anything to NI - this could be 1 polish to a great box load of products!

5. We have only charged our NI customers HALF that amount - £18!! This means that we as a company are EATING the extra £18!

6. Through our on-line system, we realised that there were some glitches; very handy for those based in NI but not logical nor ethical for us to ignore.

7. Our NI customers can change their country address back to UK mainland - but the parcel is still going overseas! This is when we realised we were then eating the entire £36 for large orders that would come under free P+P.

I think anyone with a business savvy head will agree that this was not conducive to great business practices for us! Until our on-line company fixes this glitch - guess what - you can still put in orders over £125 and get free P+P, but when it is fixed - there will be automatic £18 P+P applied with us still eating the extra £18.

So Crystaltash I am thrilled that you have been able to enjoy free P+P thus far but we can't continue to pay all overseas charges - there has to be some give and take and due to the overseas glitch - we have thus far, given quite a lot! :biggrin:

So to conclude, due to our courier service, P+P will be £18 to NI and we will continue to suck up the added £18.

I hope this helps to clarify and as a glass-half-full kinda gal - I look at it this way... it could be £36 in P+P fees but it's not, it's £18!! Of course you do also have the choice to purchase from our friends Karen & Marina in Dublin - but then you would be paying in Euro's which I believe is more expensive and I sense you wouldn't be happy with that either, but I hope this clarifies once again and apologies for you not understanding this when Jodie was explaining it all to you the first time around.
Love & Respect :idea:

Just to say that the prices are pretty much on a par with each other between Sweet Squared and Creative Academy in Dublin when you take into account stg/euro and postage etc so there isn't really any difference price wise. Sweet Squared do have some things that Creative Academy don't carry.
£18 is pretty cheap for shipment from the UK to Ireland.

Have you checked Ellisons? If you have to stop using Sweet Squared perhaps they would have a cheaper option? Failing that, can you not just wait and buy everything in bulk so you are placing less orders? Ot maybe team up with another Geek in your area and share shipping costs?

Ellisons charge £20 delivery to Northern Ireland. I Think its disgraceful since we're UK. But only when it suits...

Ellisons charge £20 delivery to Northern Ireland. I Think its disgraceful since we're UK. But only when it suits...

But you have to consider the point that Samantha was making. You are technically "overseas". So of course shipping across the sea will cost them more as the courier service will be charging more.

I don't blame S2/Ellisons etc...It just annoys me that we are part of the UK but we're not treated like it by couriers etc...

Well the packages have to go into the air or on a boat. Those means cost money to man, run and maintain.

Although part of the uk. Ireland is in fact "overseas"

There are something's I like from America... Children's clothing and I have to accept that if I want them it will cost more to get here.

If I buy something from Ireland it would be the same case.

NorthernIreland is part of the UK! :wink2:

Yes I know. But whether someone is in northern Ireland or Ireland... They are over seas.

Apologies of I caused offence to anyone in Ireland, not northern Ireland by generalising as a whole.

Is it just the flammable stuff that incurs high costs or general stuff too?

I wondered this too what is classified as 'hazardous?'

Apologies of I caused offence to anyone in Ireland, not northern Ireland by generalising as a whole.

Hey my comment re Northern Ireland was tongue in cheek!

I worked for a large UK retail group for years, they used to tell us when returning things back to warehouse etc to send it on back to the 'mainland'...we were terrible wind up merchants and used to have them going on the phone acting like we hadn't a notion where this mainland was! Most folk have moved on from being sensitive about UK & Ireland but still lot of Irish people get quite peeved at Ireland being referred to as part of UK or in the British Isles etc!

I was just being silly!
Sorry taken thread off topic:Scared:

I know Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but the process of moving products from/to anywhere not part of our landmass is technically overseas.
I have no problems paying in extra for a service of this kind, in fact I expect it.

It's great that you've escaped paying p + p on previous orders, and by Sweet Squared paying half of this, in my opinion that's more than fair. Not many other companies would even consider doing that, in fact they may well increase the p + p in the future to make up for the one's you've had for free in the past!

Be proud that you're associated with a company as honest, ethical and helpful as the Sweets.

Latest posts

Back