What did I do wrong? gun settings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopperty

Reaction score
Hi I have been practicing tans since I did my qualification 4 weeks ago. Using samples doing free tans. Ive been getting overspray so ajusted gun direction to virtical. I used vani-t rapid. upper body great..legs looked stripy when finished. I changed direction to circle and did organic on 2nd and it looked great. has anyone any idea a. why I keep getting overspray and b. why stripy. feel like i'm useless:sad:, oh and also is it me or is there too little soltion in the samples? thanks geeks

hi, we have found the best way to set up the gun is with the spray head in the six o clock position, this will give a wide layed down rugby ball shaped spray pattern,
At the back of the gun is a black screw this is known as the density dial,to get the least overspray and best results, turn it all the way in clockwise put a dot of nail varnish on the top of the dial, imagine this is 12 oclock unscrew it back to around 7 oclock. this is usually the right setting,
when spraying you need the gun to be around 6 to 10 inches from the client. and spray from top to bottom in lines, you will have very little overspray using this method and should be able to do a full body easily with 50ml of solution ... happy to help :Love:

Thankyou...so the notches are vertical? does the viscosity of the solution make a difference? It all seems a bit daunting suddenley. I will keep practicing. Just sprayed my daughter (13) looks great!

hi, we have found the best way to set up the gun is with the spray head in the six o clock position, this will give a wide layed down rugby ball shaped spray pattern,
At the back of the gun is a black screw this is known as the density dial,to get the least overspray and best results, turn it all the way in clockwise put a dot of nail varnish on the top of the dial, imagine this is 12 oclock unscrew it back to around 7 oclock. this is usually the right setting,
when spraying you need the gun to be around 6 to 10 inches from the client. and spray from top to bottom in lines, you will have very little overspray using this method and should be able to do a full body easily with 50ml of solution ... happy to help :Love:

Hello

I trianed with tantrick and i was reading that you need to get little overspray but my only problem is that i was told not to spray tan the neck as the overspray will get it will this still happen if i turn my gun down

Please let me know

Thanks
Austin x

With my training i was told to spray under neck cos this wont get fall out from spray like hands and feet do. told dont spray directly on hands and feet for that reason. although feedback from my practice tans have said lower legs were light colour. maybe light spray once on second round.

Great reply from steve! I've just received my maximist today and tried a sample solution on my hubby - didn't alter the small black dial on the back, it seemed ok but he was tacky for about 30 mins after, even after letting him dry off. I thought it may be the sample solution (fresh indulgence ) but will do someone else tomorrow after setting the gun up as per steve's instructions! Fingers crossed!!

Spray tanning is not as easy as it looks is it - practice practice practice I suppose!!!

With my training i was told to spray under neck cos this wont get fall out from spray like hands and feet do. told dont spray directly on hands and feet for that reason. although feedback from my practice tans have said lower legs were light colour. maybe light spray once on second round.
we train to spray direct onto hands and feet ,not the palms, you need to follow the contour of the lower legs and get down on your knees and keep the gun at 6 inches away, lots of people fail on the legs as the solution is almost dry when it hits the skin, if you dont get down and close enough to the client. The dha needs to be damp to penatrate the skin, if your to far away and only the bronzer settles it acts just like a makeup. and when you shower off you get white legs

hi,
My advice would be to continue practicing in vertical lines, circles use more solution, and are time consuming and when starting out you run more of a risk of patches.
Hold gun 6/7" away, my dial is turned between 9 and 10pm so minimum overspray and solution usage per body. Feel confident pulling trigger and moving .gun at same speed and same distance. Dont want to confuse with method or bore you but regarding neck ask client to tilt face upwards slightly to stretch neck out ideally sweep gun from over sholder slightly in a 'V' style motion across each side of neck taking in over chest repeat twice, this is sufficient, you dont wanna over spray neck especially on mature clients.
A 50ml sample should comfortably do a whole body.

yes ditto with Steve...you shouldnt just bend your back when following onto legs, I squat bending both knees so my gun stays slightly infront of me level with my face so Im following the line of what gun is spraying if that makes sense!!:rolleyes: You follow line of leg straight down pulling away at feet with a light spray, normally 3 lines down the front and back 2 on insides of legs, and then sweep the gun over the leg top and bottom following contour of legs so no gaps and all even. Its important you are still 6/7" away all the time and spray at same speed to stop patches/stripes. Dont get disheartened it will work for you with practice. A method will just click for you.
Organics is a much thicker/syrupy consistency. Quite different to any other solution, gun has to be turned up higher for this brand. Goes on as a warm/dry mist to.

thanks for such great advice i'm sure your all used to us newies! will try all your advice.x

i have just posted a video on our nouvatan facebook page of dawn doing a spray tan its a bit ropey and the lighting isnt great as i shot it on my mobile phone but it will give you some idea of how to spray using the maximist set as i have said, she is rapid so dont blink you might miss something ! but she has done 1000s of tans , oh its also a very good looking young man shes tanning lol

Thanks again..will go and have a look :Love:

I agree with the others, the bits on the nozzle should be at 6 o'clock (vertical) for spraying vertically. If you have a stripy effect on the legs then you are either missing bits, not spraying closely enough etc as mentioned by the others. If the bits on the nozzle are horizontal and you are spraying downwards this will give you thin dark stripes, as the spray is being buffered in the wrong way. Also for maximist, fully close and only open around 1/4 to 1/3rd of a turn.
A difference between organics and Velocity is that organics is much thicker so you could also try maybe setting at 1/4 open for velocity and 1/3 open for organics.
Hope that makes sense.
Good luck with your next spray tan xxxx

Does anyone else have the problem with their needle getting stuck?! I hold the trigger whilst spraying but when i release it loads of spray tan is still coming out so im losing so much money!! im trying to tighten the square nut today (maximist) and using the nozzle on different settings etc...xxx

Does it feel like the trigger is not releasing after you press it? It could be that the little gold gland nut just in front of the trigger is too tight.

If you loosen it, slightly with a pliers that might help?

Claire x

This happened to me, so I gave my gun a good scrub and noticed a build up of spray tan round near the trigger. I washed it off and problem solved.

Latest posts

Back