What do you think of this opportunity?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProperPrincess

Reaction score
A room has become available in a small salon on a big row of shops not too far from where I live. A couple of miles. They have a hair dresser and someone who does gel nails. I'm doing some training and buying shellac next month so I'm hoping there won't be a problem with me doing that as the girl there appears to offer enhancements only. I'm going to see the room tomorrow. I can work as much or as little as I like and the rent is £117 a month. Which is very good I know. The problem is I offer some expensive treatments and the area doesn't ssuggest that lashe would be popular. Although I've a feelings tinting, waxing, tanning, minx and party lashes would be. I suppose I can still be mobile. What do u think. Also what type of questions. Do I ask?

A room has become available in a small salon on a big row of shops not too far from where I live. A couple of miles. They have a hair dresser and someone who does gel nails. I'm doing some training and buying shellac next month so I'm hoping there won't be a problem with me doing that as the girl there appears to offer enhancements only. I'm going to see the room tomorrow. I can work as much or as little as I like and the rent is £117 a month. Which is very good I know. The problem is I offer some expensive treatments and the area doesn't ssuggest that lashe would be popular. Although I've a feelings tinting, waxing, tanning, minx and party lashes would be. I suppose I can still be mobile. What do u think. Also what type of questions. Do I ask?

I think an excellent opportunity has presented itself and you should go for it! It's affordable, flexible and you've already started identifying other treatments which would be popular with the local clientele. Also, don't assume that people won't pay for SP lashes...you may be suprised once you have built up a good reputation for other treatments.

I suppose the main immediate issue is the nails one so go ahead and ask about that...apart from that I would be interested in room contracts, percentages and how much flexibility you have to do your own thing.

Go for it!

PB
x

I think an excellent opportunity has presented itself and you should go for it! It's affordable, flexible and you've already started identifying other treatments which would be popular with the local clientele. Also, don't assume that people won't pay for SP lashes...you may be suprised once you have built up a good reputation for other treatments.

I suppose the main immediate issue is the nails one so go ahead and ask about that...apart from that I would be interested in room contracts, percentages and how much flexibility you have to do your own thing.

Go for it!

PB
x

That sounds like a great oppurtunity! £117 a month is VERY good and definitly worth the risk.

Questions i would ask (assuming its in a hairdressers?):

Will the salon take appointments for you

How busy is the hairdresser there as this would mean potential clients for you, try and see the appointment book (when i came to view the room im currently renting in a hairdressers the guy told me the salon was always buzzing!....i really wish id looked at their appointment book because its definitly not 'buzzing' so im finding it hard to build up my own clients)

Have they had a beautician in before you, why did she leave (the beautician renting my room before me was really unreliable and people would book in and she wouldnt even turn up to do the appointments, leaving me trying to build up a good reputation again!)

I had hundreds of questions when i came to view my beauty room, finding it hard to think of any!!

good luck, let us know what its like x

If its the one I possibly spotted last Friday, then go for it! I saw one and thought "I wish I was in a position to do something like this".
It sounds really good!
Keep us posted how it goes
xx

Thanks girls. I'm going to see it in a bit so I'll come back. Ps. Caz my nails look lush xx

Thanks girls. I'm going to see it in a bit so I'll come back. Ps. Caz my nails look lush xx

Im glad you like them, I really wasnt happy with them :( Been having nightmares about them! lol
xx

Im glad you like them, I really wasnt happy with them :( Been having nightmares about them! lol
xx

Honestly they are fine. Plus I'm well aware my nails are thin and peel xxx

I think you should be able to do the best of both worlds! Q's to ask would be on the working hours, appointment booking-whos booking it salon owner or receptionist. Key to premises, contract, temporary or permanent-subletting etc. % of earnings if required.

Also dont be afraid to offer expensive treatments, offer a subsitute of maybe express lashes or special discount to when you open up! Good luck with your new venture! xoxo

Right then girls... And boys. The room is a very decent size with a partition too. It's painted and decorated terribly but I'm allowed to do whatever I want! Which is brilliant. They were all very down to earth, lovely girls. Rent whilst decorating is free too! I can have a contract for as long or as little as I want and the rent is paid monthly. I can't do gels or l&p. But they are more than happy for me to do minx and possibly shellac x

Thats fantastic! Are you going to go for it? Sounds like an amazing opportunity xx

Here's some pics x I think so I dunno I'm so confused x lol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331656671.997356.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331656671.997356.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 334
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331656688.090575.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331656688.090575.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 316
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331656701.994111.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331656701.994111.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 317
The room could be great! A lick of paint and some pretty decor...What have you got to lose? Sometimes the only thing standing in our way is ourselves!!!
Good luck! x

Sounds a brill oppurtunity, grab it with both hands x:D

Looks absolutely fab! If you need any help painting etc just ask! Im free every afternoon and happy to help you out. Id go for it, if it doesnt work out, you can always leave (depending on contracts) xx

I took it! A whim decision but I figure opportunities don't always come along like this so I have to try! If I fail so be it but least I know I tried. If I can make it work there and save for my own place one day xx

Fab, you said this is what you wanted and keep up with other advertising then people will come to you if the locals don't want the expensive treatments. I think the only thing you need to ask is, is there a waiting area you can use for your clients? Do you need a different insurance than you have now and will they take bookings for you (and is there toilet facilities available for your clients). If you advertise in their window you should get alot of passing trade too)

How exciting! Good luck.

Have you thought about a piercing course? Might be a popular one?

Latest posts

Back