What ever happened to airbrushing designs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What ever happened to Airbrushed nail art?

• Airbrushing art is a thing of the past and out of fashion

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Clients don't like airbrushed art, therefore no call for it

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Airbrushed nail art is still as popular as ever

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other products/systems are more popular than airbrushing

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Airbrushing never took off in the first place

Votes: 16 20.8%

• Total voters

Tiger Jay

Reaction score
Looking through the forums, I notice that not a lot has to be said about airbrushed nail art designs.

Just wondering what your views are on this?

Is airbrushing a thing of the past, or is it in popular demand but haven't heard about it?

Interested in hearing your opinions!

I have to agree with you Jules, not a lot of people seem to do a lot of airbrushing now, or they don't share it at least.

I have never got into airbrushing as it would be too much equiptment to lug about being mobile, plus i prefer doing all my art work free hand.

I also think that it can be a messy business, cleaning up the clients fingers after applying the design, cleaning out your airbrush after every colour used, too much faffing for me.

Plus i feel that an airbrushed design, although a skill in itself, can look too uniform, i like the fact that free hand is more interesting and unique to each client.

i have never used an airbrush ,
last year i really wanted one , but then figured it would probably not get much use , i think the only thing i would use it for would be french designs , i dont think anybody would have anything mad !

I used to do lots of airbrushed designs but it was more really for me than for anyone else - I used to wear art all the time.

It does depend on your client base - I have one client who has a wild and wacky design every time she comes but she is the only one. Others have it for specials - fancy dress parties, Valentines, Christmas etc.

I like the airbrush, you can make things with it which are difficult to do it with hand(to mix 2 colors, to make great french, etc.) Me personaly if i had salon i will for sure have and airbrush, but for mobile is difficult to cary.

I didn't vote as no option applied to me.

Mine would have been "don't have an airbrush and have zero interest in doing it".

I have seen some lovely airbrush art. Some very intricate, multiple coloured nail art, done with an airbrush.
However, for the bulk of it, I'm unimpressed.
While it's pretty to look at it.... to me, it's like colouring a colouring book.
I'd much rather learn brush strokes and to paint free-hand and be able to say "That's mine, I did it". To me, free-hand painting and 3d nail art are much more impressive and require more skill.

In any case, most people only get french's airbrushed... and whooopty-doo, I can do that free-hand as well,without farting around with cleaning knozzles and whats-its.

I guess it has it's place. We all have different preferences in terms of art for nails. To each his own.

:hug:

Well I think my question has been answered here.............
There really doesn't seem to be much interest in it anymore.

Unless anyone else wants to add.

....mmmmmmmmmm....:lol:

Just want to add......I used to do quite a bit of airbrushing mad designs etc a couple of years ago. But now nobody even asks about it.

So yes, Vic, I think you have a valid point there!!!

I think that airbrushing is still as popular as ever at the local NSS ... after all, it's the quickest and cheapest way they can churn out sets of pink & whites, which are still as popular as ever.

However, I have noticed more and more people opting for freehand nail art in recent months ... the overall and totally original effect of which, IMO, is very hard to achieve with an airbrush.

I still do loads of airbrushed nail art and even have clients (who for whatever reason don't want 'proper' nail enhancements) send their full cover stick ons to me to airbrush designs on them.

I still have plenty of people coming to me to teach them how to airbrush.

I think part of the problem is the expensive equipment, or people buying the wrong equipment and finding out that it's usless. Another is that people buy the equipment and don't bother getting proper training - find out they can't just teach themselves then give up.

It also depends on what your clients want and what you're able to offer them - if all you show them is way out and weird multi colour abstract designs then it's no wonder none of them want it.

I love airbushing because I'm useless at freehand, and In my opinion, if you're offerring freehand nail art you'd better be good at it as I've seen a lot that looks like a child has done it and none of my clients would pay for that! With an airbrush I can paint the most delicate little flowers, or a lovely subtle colour blend both of which are very popular with a lot of my clients. The designs don't have to be the same on each finger, they don't even have to be on every finger, a lot of the time I'm asked to airbrush a tiny design on just the ring finger.

I get to 'go to town' on holidays such as St Patrick's Day, Halloween, Christmas etc - that's when I find people want something more daring.

My airbrush and equipment has definately paid for itself over the years, but I do think you need to be commited to make it work, proper equipment, proper training and knowing what your clients want. I don't use nail enamel any more as it takes SO long to dry - even those of my clients who just want a single colour on their nails I now airbrush it on, no waiting for base coat, 2 coats of enamel and then a top coat to get touch dry - just thin base coat, spray the colour and then a top coat - I don't get them knocking on my door 2 minutes after they've left asking me to fix the smudge they've just done while opening the car door! And those clients have told me they'd never go back to using nail enamel now so it's more business for me as they don't 'top up' their nail colour at home with the latest No. 7 colour - they come back to me! None of mine were ever interested in buying nail enamel from me when I retailed it so I never lost out there either.

I love airbrushing and most of my clients do too! :)

Jackie
x

Hi All
I would just like to agree with JackieMc I also love my airbrush:) and any one wants to see why take at JackieMc's site or Melle's site.

Jill

Maybe I didn't push it enough, as I really did not enjoy doing it....and was too busy doing enhancements to devote enough time to perfecting my airbrush skills/designs.
My client base though was more interested in natural looking enhancements. I should have really checked out what my clients wanted before I spent my money on airbrushing equipment.
Therefore I never made back my initial investment in the equipment and training.

I used to love airbrushing, but i just found that the clients have never really been interested in it.

They would admire the naill art display at every apointment, but never had it done!

Interesting replies here.

Jackie, you are the queen of airbrushing in my book......and if I was as good as you I would probably be doing alot more of it!!:lol:

I did really want an airbrush, but now thinking about it more, I dont think its really that it anymore, as handpainted designs look much better, imo! Im not going to bother with it now as I think I can do nicer looking art, as airbrushed tends to look too crisp and perfect for my liking!! xx

I did really want an airbrush, but now thinking about it more, I dont think its really that it anymore, as handpainted designs look much better, imo! Im not going to bother with it now as I think I can do nicer looking art, as airbrushed tends to look too crisp and perfect for my liking!! xx
Depends what you do with it. Ok sometimes the use of stencils can be a little nondescript, but it depends on what you do with them. For instance you can make something look almost 3D with the right shading and knowledge.

As for Colour fading, I don't think I've ever seen any other system that can get that perfect colour fade the way airbrush can.

But on the other side of the coin less clients seem to be asking for it.
Strange!

Interesting replies here.

Jackie, you are the queen of airbrushing in my book......and if I was as good as you I would probably be doing alot more of it!!:lol:

Aw Shucks...... :o

Thanks
Jackie
x

I much prefer the look of free hand nail art. I have only ever done nail art free hand, and I will keep it that way!

Cool thread

I was contemplating just yesterday whether to learn airbrushing or not, and there seems to be pretty good arguements on both sides. I probably will tho, live to learn and all that!

Cool thread

I was contemplating just yesterday whether to learn airbrushing or not, and there seems to be pretty good arguements on both sides. I probably will tho, live to learn and all that!
Funny actually as since posting this poll and now, airbrushing business has picked up quite a bit. I find that if I myself, ware it then clients tend to become a little more adventurous.

Whether there is call for it one month and none the next, I love it too much to stop doing it. I reckon it's become quite addictive.:)

Latest posts

Back