What is the hairdressing ladder to senior stylist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duddles

Reaction score
hi all! :) im currently in college doin my level 2 nvq diploma in hairdressing and im confused as to what the different situations are in the salon. what comes after trainee? is is junior stylist,then senior stylist or how does it work can somebody explain it to me please?? thank you :)

Trainee, then once qualified, junior stylist then stylist then senior stylist.

This may be a massively daft question but when would you be classed as a Senior Stylist? Is it based on your skills, age, qualifications etc?:confused:

thank you for explaining Persianista :) clears it up for me!!

Back in my day it was.

Trainee/junior for 2 years at college or day release.
Then after you qualify at college you contunue in salon as a 1st year operator, then a 2nd year operator then come the 5th year you are a senior stylist who can accept almost anyone who walks into your salon.

:)

thank you for your help people :) and can you tell me what the job description is for each? a trainee is when like me you are in college and doing work experience in a salon, then a junior stylist is when you are qualified but still at the bottom?? then a stylist is when you have gained enough experience to be able to work on your own without supervision??

thank you for your help people :) and can you tell me what the job description is for each? a trainee is when like me you are in college and doing work experience in a salon, then a junior stylist is when you are qualified but still at the bottom?? then a stylist is when you have gained enough experience to be able to work on your own without supervision??

All correct. I normally class a senior stylist as 7 years exp and a clientele. Able to supervise others.

thanks persianista!! very helpful :) are you a hairdresser yourself yes?

then come the 5th year you are a senior stylist who can accept almost anyone who walks into your salon.

When I finised my level 2 apprenticeship the salon kept me on as a junior stylist.

I was made to do anyone that came in. I kept making mistakes and was unsure of quite a bit. My boss started having weekly meetings telling me how bad I was so doing. I just thougt I was a bad hairdresser and left.
I'm now starting to think I wasn't rubbish but it was inexperience and my basic knowledge.

I'm guessing from this thread and others that it may not be the norm to do that after only completing level2?

And what would be expected from me when I complete my level3?

At level 2 you are a qualified hairdresser in the eyes of the law. As you have discovered, level 2 doesnt fully prepare you to work as a hairdresser.
After level 3 you should be fully able to work on any client unsupervised. Sadly salons cannot afford to give you ever more training, and that is the point at which you are expected to be able to earn enough for the salon to justify your job.

Yea it definatley doesn't, I totally understand now why salons look for stylists with level 3. I'm only half way through my level 3 and can see big difference in my work already.

So are junior, stylist, senior just different levels of pay depending on skills and experience rather than what you are actually doing in the salon?

They are different levels of pay, and usually measured by the income you generate for the salon.
The more income you generate for a salon, the more you are paid. Some salons charge more for senior staff.
If you join a salon as a senior stylist, you are given a shorter period of time to build your clientele than a stylist would be, so there is higher expectation and more pressure.

Back in my day it was.

Then after you qualify at college you contunue in salon as a 1st year operator, then a 2nd year operator then come the 5th year you are a senior stylist who can accept almost anyone who walks into your salon.

Ditto! Thats the way I was raised:)

Back in my day it was.

Same ! I started right at the bottom, every thing from cleaning the loo's to taking charge when the boss was away ! I think its the best way too, ( I wonder how many 16 year olds would clean the loo's and floors make tea, shampoo and generally be a dogs body for very vey little money now !:lol:)

Not many would put up with it i expect. I did two years as a cleaner from 16 to 18 though so making tea and cleaning up doesnt bother me at all.

Not many would put up with it i expect. I did two years as a cleaner from 16 to 18 though so making tea and cleaning up doesnt bother me at all.

Cleaning is flipping hard work !

Latest posts

Back