What is this on client's nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyjane17

Reaction score
Hello all,
I had a client come to me yesterday and her thumb nails are as per picture. The thumb nails are only affected and grow like this. Can anyone tell me what they think it may be?? Many thanks Lucy x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366994796.145090.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366994796.145090.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 676
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366994836.370716.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366994836.370716.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 541
Looks like a fungal infection xxx

Sorry should have said, client hasn't banged hurt or trapped them. They weren't painful to touch, she told me they are brittle and had many ridges in. Client is not on any meds and her thumb nails started growing like this in her twenties (she is 30 now). Other nails appeared 'normal'

Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. I'd be interested in what that is too.

We really shouldn't diagnose what we think it is anyways but this client should be going to the doctor. I also wouldn't put anything over them if it was me.

Yes I agree - I didn't put anything on them - and she was happy for me to continue with just her finger nails. She told me she had been to the dr and was told she is deficient in a vitamin - but couldn't remember what vitamin it was. Found that odd as her other nails were fine ? Wonder if anyone has seen this before. Client says she doesn't really know what to do about them which I found quite sad for her xx

Has she had nail polish on them. It looks like nail polish trapped in the dry and ridged bits to me.

If they have been like that for many years, presumably she has already seen a doctor about them and nothing has been done. There was probably some kind of damage to the matrix a long time ago.

I would smooth them out with something like Gelish Structure Gel or Brisa Lite and then apply a colour. Two weeks later it could be removed to see if there has been any reaction.

Just my personal thoughts.

My mums thumb nails are like this, the reason her nails are like this are because. She picked her cuticles through her childhood and through this seems to of permanently damaged the matrix of her thumb nails. Obviously that's what happened to my mums nails and it may be totally different for your client. They do look almost identical to my mums thumb nails though.

Ok thanj u juicylucy

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Really Kerry. That's interesting. I'll ask client next time I see her xx

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

My right thumb nail is exactly like these. When I take of my polish our gel polish, it gets trapped in the ridges. My nail is like this as a result of shutting my thumb in a car door at the area of the matrix. I still put gel polish over it or enhancements and it's just fine. I buff it a bit to smooth it out then apply my coating.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

It's called "habit tic" it is where client rubs their nails constantly. Mainly at the bottom where the nail is its softest.

I think you've had the correct answers! It won't be a vitamin deficiency on only the thumbs! There will be other nails and other symptoms.

This is an unfortunately hooked nail and the ridges are caused by a 'habit tic'. There will be a very large lunula under all that damage. The nail is very soft here and so easily damaged.

The colour, I believe, has been correctly, identified as polish colour.

The nail needs to be kept short and you could try an overlay to smooth it out. I would suggest Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel (or even Sculpting Gel) as it doesn't need buffing (it will bond to an unbuffed nail). An L&P may do it but there could be pocket lifting due to the deep ridges.

Your client needs to leave those thumbs alone and take care not to damage them!

My friend has thumbs exactly like this , has always had them and was told it was because when she sucked her thumbs she continuously dragged her teeth along her nails!!

My mother in law suffers with this condition due to chip pan fire 25 years ago & bad damage to her hands & the nail matrix etc.
The condition only affects her thumbs nails & one is worse than the other.

When I do her l & p extensions there is no way I'll touch those with a file, or a nail tip.

I do however apply to her two thumb nails a dual form enhancement. I prepare nail in same way but don't file at all. Her enhancement always looks amazing & despite my insistence initially that the thumb enhancements would not last.. They did & we now always use on her thumbs.

One happy mother in law ( always a good thing)

Looks very much like Habit Tic. A bit worrying that the client is obviously doing this to herself and will play dumb.

This is fascinating, I had a client a year or two ago with thumbs just like this. I will have to search for her card. I remember her saying that a hard gel helped and she wanted me to do the same overlay. i probably put on nsi hard gel. Can't remember what she said about them much other than that. I need to find her card, but I can't remember her name.. doh

My mother in laws middle fingers are like this. She asked me ages ago what it could be but I wasn't sure. She uses hand cream after every hand wash & wears gloves to do any cleaning. After watching her she alternates between rubbing down each middle finger with her thumb when she talks to you!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Hello all,
I had a client come to me yesterday and her thumb nails are as per picture. The thumb nails are only affected and grow like this. Can anyone tell me what they think it may be?? Many thanks Lucy x

Beau's lines

Does she nibble her cuticles on the thumbs?

I had a client with this. She didn't realise as it was a "habit" but once she stopped they got a lot better.

Latest posts

Back