What percent?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saying " if you can't do it, teach it" comes to mind with most of these tutors, I could honestly slap the **** out of some of the tutors!! One girl once told me her tutor said that If you mix 6% and 9% together you get 15%!!!!!!! What the actual **** are these people on? Ahaha sorry for the rant but it really gets on my nerves!

The saying " if you can't do it, teach it" comes to mind with most of these tutors, I could honestly slap the **** out of some of the tutors!! One girl once told me her tutor said that If you mix 6% and 9% together you get 15%!!!!!!! What the actual **** are these people on? Ahaha sorry for the rant but it really gets on my nerves!

I've had one girl say I use double amounts of 9% to get 18!!!

Silly, I think for every college that use a certain colour range like either wella or matrix or whatever should deffo have a colour tech come into the college and explain the use of the products regardless of what the tutors "know".

It would help the brand as well seems though people would know how to use them correctly and wouldn't get unwanted results.

I don't think you can truly trial a colour range if you havent had minimal training on how to use them.

Hi guys

I myself am a Hairdressing Tutor. I agree that SOME Tutors need educating like the Tutor mentioned in this post. I myself was a successful Manager and Stylist whilst working in salon but chose to take a different path within the industry. Teaching is challenging and is not an easy option. Xx

Actually if you're using Koleston Perfect it's perfectly fine to use 12% on the scalp as that's what it has been designed for. If it was me personally I would use the desired tint & 12% on the roots & either /44 & /00 in COlour Touch Relights to tone the ends or use the tiny mixture but with Pastel (2%)

Actually if you're using Koleston Perfect it's perfectly fine to use 12% on the scalp as that's what it has been designed for. If it was me personally I would use the desired tint & 12% on the roots & either /44 & /00 in COlour Touch Relights to tone the ends or use the tiny mixture but with Pastel (2%)

So do you also still agree that using colour touch with 12% in roots was a bad idea lol? x

"One girl once told me her tutor said that If you mix 6% and 9% together you get 15%!!!

I've had one girl say I use double amounts of 9% to get 18!!!"

I suspect it's more likely that the students were the one's getting it wrong. I agree that there are probably less able tutors around as there are in all walks of life, but my tutors (City of Bristol College) were excellent and had a wide range of experience between them. (Inc. Film/TV work, Salon Chain Directorships etc.)

As we were mature students on a fast track programme, they were really helpful and engaged with us.

I do recall one tutor saying that long before high lift tints were invented, they would add a small amount of bleach powder to the tint to enable it to lift a bit higher.

Last edited:
The only college tutor I have ever thought was a good hairdresser got bullied out of her job by the other tutors because we started questioning their advice based on what this good tutor had told us.

There are some amazing tutors, but most of them are mediocre hairdressers who want to make money in the industry without having to improve their skills. I remember on my level 2, a new tutor trying to tell us that a sebacious cyst was the dermis, and that the dermis was a sebacious cyst and she went MAD at me for correcting her!

Colour touch with 12% is wrong because colour touch is not a permanent colour. Koleston can be mixed with 12%, but I still wouldn't have used it on her roots as 9% should've done the job nicely.

The only college tutor I have ever thought was a good hairdresser got bullied out of her job by the other tutors because we started questioning their advice based on what this good tutor had told us.

There are some amazing tutors, but most of them are mediocre hairdressers who want to make money in the industry without having to improve their skills. I remember on my level 2, a new tutor trying to tell us that a sebacious cyst was the dermis, and that the dermis was a sebacious cyst and she went MAD at me for correcting her!

Colour touch with 12% is wrong because colour touch is not a permanent colour. Koleston can be mixed with 12%, but I still wouldn't have used it on her roots as 9% should've done the job nicely.

Yh thanks.. Well I now know never to use colour touch with 12% on the roots again haha! But hey ho everyone gotta learn some way, even if it's by taking the wrong advice!

My other three tutors are very nice and stick to the hairdressing rules (they never tell you any tips or tricks that shouldn't be carried out) a this one tutor who's advice I followed does! Learnt my lesson now though as she must have done everything she knows by 'wrong ways' which aren't stuff you should be teaching students

Thanks for everyone advising me on the correct way to do this in the future :) xxx

Bingle and lady I do agree with what you are saying. I teach some Students that hear something totally different to what is actually being said, this can cause friction between Some employers, Tutors and Students. We are only human and can make mistakes, I admit to mine rather than argue the point. Teaching Hairdressing is challenging and rewarding and I have a passion for my work. I agree that there are Tutors out there that are not amazing Hairdressers, however we need to remember that when teaching level 2 Tutors are teaching the Basics in Hairdressing. I am glad the colour touch and 12% issue has been resolved that was a little bit way out, crazy lol xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back