What percent?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie4156

Reaction score
Client has red hair 77/45 with base 4 roots... Shall I use 12% on roots to lift and where I'm stuck is will I need to use a 6 or 9% on the mid-lengths and ends to refresh? Trying to avoid any banding x

not a wella expert but dont hink you should be using 12% on the scalp :eek: also if youre refreshing existing colour, you dont need anything higher than 3%
xxx

My tutor at college told me to if it's ok with client to make sure it lifts as she had at least an inch1/2 root?! I used 4% on mids and ends so phew haha.. 12% is highest I would use on scalp and that's what I was taught! Hope this isn't too bad I'm gonna ask other college tutors and see what they say! Thanks for replying xx

Client has red hair 77/45 with base 4 roots... Shall I use 12% on roots to lift and where I'm stuck is will I need to use a 6 or 9% on the mid-lengths and ends to refresh? Trying to avoid any banding x
There's only 3 shades of lift so 9% should be enough at the roots, has the mid lengths and end really faded? If not 3% will refresh the ends! Hope that helps

you dont use 12% on scalp.

9% for the 77/46 on the roots and 77/45 colour touch with 1.9 on the mid lengths and ends. Rinse and if you want put a true semi on top, like crazy colour or afflinge red. You won't need it I don't think but if it's porous I would advise the true semi. :)

yep 9% roots and colour touch midlengths and ends!

Thanks for replying everybody!
At college I'm taught 6% lifts one shade and darkens all, 9% lifts 2-3 and 12% lifts 3 shades plus... The reason why I chose 12% is because my teacher said it would be fine been as she has dark roots wanting to be red.. I used 6% on the mids and ends in case using a 12% would lift lighter than the mids and ends and cause a slight band...client didn't want any banding as her last hairdresser left banding where the roots were done ..

Anyway all done and blow dried and it's perfect all over and a happy client x

I also asked my teacher if it was definitely ok to use 6,9,12% with colour touches as I know they are made to use with 1.9 and 4% and she said yes.. Is this correct x

my understanding is wella colour touch is a semi/quasi colour. These are mixed with low level developers and on a 1 to 2 ratio so I dont really see how this would work with 12%. You dont get lift with a quasi colour only depth and tone. If you are going to need lift you need a permanent colour not semi. Also if your peroxide is too high and lifts too much you will find the colour fades faster. Red fades fast enough as it is.

Thanks for replying everybody!
At college I'm taught 6% lifts one shade and darkens all, 9% lifts 2-3 and 12% lifts 3 shades plus... The reason why I chose 12% is because my teacher said it would be fine been as she has dark roots wanting to be red.. I used 6% on the mids and ends in case using a 12% would lift lighter than the mids and ends and cause a slight band...client didn't want any banding as her last hairdresser left banding where the roots were done ..

Anyway all done and blow dried and it's perfect all over and a happy client x

Best way to remember is for every 10vol you get one level of lift! So 20 you get 2 and 30vol 3 40vol 4 levels lift, but when it comes to bleach that's completely different!

what is your college tutor on?????????????

Are you sure you are a hairdresser? Seems like the easiest question for a hairdresser to answer. Sorry for being harsh...

Are you sure you are a hairdresser? Seems like the easiest question for a hairdresser to answer. Sorry for being harsh...

Like I said I've asked a tutor... So I am in training.

The colour turned out fine and matched perfectly I was just following what I had been told to do and asked advice on what others think! Asking if I'm really a hairdresser is just rude

I've only been colouring a month so im not a colour expert hence the reason why I asked advice.

Clearly this worked but may not have been the best way to go about it but everyone learns from the 'mistakes' they make x

Like I said I've asked a tutor... So I am in training.

The colour turned out fine and matched perfectly I was just following what I had been told to do and asked advice on what others think! Asking if I'm really a hairdresser is just rude

I've only been colouring a month so im not a colour expert hence the reason why I asked advice.

Clearly this worked but may not have been the best way to go about it but everyone learns from the 'mistakes' they make x

It may have worked honey but it will wash out very quickly for future reference! Xx

Colour touch should never be used with anything higher than 4%.

Colour touch are mixed with either 1.9% or 4%

If you're using colour touch plus you must mix with 4%+

Koleston should be mixed with 6%, 9% or 12% and pastel (when toning)

It will tell you on instructions inside the boxes of colour, but tbh your tutors can't be very good if they don't know the basic mixing :/

It may have worked honey but it will wash out very quickly for future reference! Xx

Of course il keep this in mind now! Really don't understand why my tutor of all people told me to do this if to everyone else it seems so wrong :( x

Colour touch should never be used with anything higher than 4%.

Colour touch are mixed with either 1.9% or 4%

If you're using colour touch plus you must mix with 4%+

Koleston should be mixed with 6%, 9% or 12% and pastel (when toning)

It will tell you on instructions inside the boxes of colour, but tbh your tutors can't be very good if they don't know the basic mixing :/

Yes I know and understand that but just thought as a tutor told me to do it that way it was the right thing to do for this client. Any college student would think that it would be 'ok' to follow their tutors instructions but clearly not lol x

Yeah deffo, you would have thought so.

God knows, perhaps you should have a word with someone who is higher at the college, I mean just to think how many hairdressers are going to qualify and not really have any idea what theyre doing, and on top of that your job prospects will be lowered.

I once had to trade test a girl applying for a job and she thought it would be a good idea to mix a "sprinkle" of bleach into their high lift tint :/ I mean wtf!

I told her and had to more or less recommend the colour to use :/ She didnt get the job.

This is your career Remember it's very important you get the best start and this is deffo not the right way.

I'm not meaning to be nasty if you think I am, it's not your fault your tutors are dim :)

Of course il keep this in mind now! Really don't understand why my tutor of all people told me to do this if to everyone else it seems so wrong :( x

In my experience with tutors at college, there only tutors because they didn't do well as hairdressers, I'm sure there not alllike this but the ones at a college near me Defo are

Latest posts

Back