What spray tan do you use & why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyb

Reaction score
I did the Fake Bake course yesterday & found the tan to be a good & not too orange colour. I also liked the fact the you blow dried after so that you didn't have to spend the rest if the day feeling sweaty or sticky. I want to be diplomatic, so before I rush out to buy it. I want to know what spray tans other people use, what the colour & smell is like & why they chose the brand they use.
Answers by reply on a postcard to this thread please!

Hi sunny, ther have been loads & loads of threads about which tan :D if you use the search box ul find them. But to be honest the best thing to do as is pretty much gopsel on these threads is to get samples from all the companies you want to see what you like, as everyone is different hth xx

I was given a fake bake spray tan a couple of weeks ago. I was given the lightest and found it to be quite dark on my pale skin. I had it in the morning, so had to go to work all day. I found it very sticky, in fact at 4pm when I came in from work I was still sticky to the touch, it did go a nice colour but for the price, I am unsure I would go ahead and get samples because of my experience. Although, it could have been the application. I found I had the tell tale tan lines round my hands for a few days. Can't remember the smell being too bad but couldnt wait till I washed off the guide colour oh and the girl who sprayed me used a pig and didnt dry me off (as I dont think the hose detaches but not 100% sure). the guide was not near the colour I developed

I have also had a Nouvatan. I found this a lovely tan to go on (I did my training with them). within minutes I was completely dry, did not feel sticky at all and the guide colour was more or less the colour I developed to. I found this to be very "light" on the skin and after the guide colour was sprayed on I found this to be a much nicer tan than the fake bake. much more natural looking. Price is very good too.

I have also had an LA tan. guide colour on the 8 is very light and the 10 and 12 guide colour is really dark. which is helpful when you are learning as you can see where you go but i think the client is led into a false pretence as the tan seems to wash down the plughole (in their eyes) as they are so dark before they wash the guide off with the developed tan underneath. I have also found that this doesnt fade very well and seems to leave the skin quite dry looking. Smell isnt too bad from it and one thing I have found (by not taking my own advice) is that your fingernails turn brown if you dont wear nailvarnish! The 12% is nicer than the 10 and the 8 is ok looking for the first couple of days but then I find it goes orangy. But for me the fade factor is definitley a big thumbs down for most of the people I have tried it on.

I have ordered some samples of Nouvatan as like I said, I really like it and there are lots on this site who have glowing reports about it. The main reason for going with this one is because I had it myself and really liked it so I want to try it on a few people and see if they are of the same opinion. I am using LA tan at the minute but that is because I got 3 litres free with the kit lol. I suppose if I had of had the fake bake applied with either a different machine or different therapist I might have had a better experience with it. It is horses for courses and if we were all the same the world would be a boring place. Good luck with finding a solution that fits your requirements

Thanks for your advice. I did use the search facility, but it brought up loads of threads & non with a definitive answer. So I thought starting a new thread. Would get me the answers I was looking for. There are just so many fake tans out there (some of them awful). So thought it'd would be best to find out from peoples experiences.
If anyone else has any good experiences of having or using fake spray tan, please let me know & also any bad ones!

Thanks again in advance x

I use Fake bake and sienna-x.

Fake bake has a nice smell, almost citrusy. If you don't moisture dry areas and apply moisturiser to the wrists after you do get tale tale signs. It lasts well aslong as you exfoliate before hand and maintain with moisturising daily. And it fades well, doesn't go patchy.

Sienna-x smells nicer and seems to last much longer. if you apply more than 1 coat it does come out very dark, like you've been to barbados for a fortnight!! My BF did mine and i was sooo dark! I looked abit silly for a while. 2 weeks later i was still scrubbing lol. Tip - dont let your BF spray you!!

I think hun it will be down to personal choice,i found fakebake to be orange tinged where as with Nouvatan im brown no question about it ,ive had a few different spray tans in past and they was all orange! nouvatan was the 1st product that showed me wot a good spray tan looks like and it smells fab! i luv it and so do my clients i wont use anything else as im working with the best x

i love fake bake...
We've only just got it at work and I've sold so many by wearing it and people asking if ive been on holiday because it looks so natural :)
the only down side is that the guide colour is so dark that it does look much paler once its washed off... but if you have it done at night and then go to sleep you dont have any time to get used to the dark colour lol

I use tantrick. I've sampled lots and keep coming back to this one as i love the natural looking colour and it lasts very well too. I've a couple on my list that i havent yet tried as i'm in not hurry as theres nothing wrong with the one i use- i just like to know the others i dont use in case i find one even better one day.

Different solutions give different results, so you do have to try various brands. Think about what you want from a solution first, ie economical about 20/25 tans to a litre as opposed to a cheaper brand which gives only 12/14. Do you want a dark or a light colour guide. One that doesn't smell - believe me some absolutely stink. Do you care about the ingredients? Parabens or not for instance, alcohol or not, fragrance etc. Not forgetting about how it fades. So lots to think about. Good luck.
Liz

Different solutions give different results, so you do have to try various brands. Think about what you want from a solution first, ie economical about 20/25 tans to a litre as opposed to a cheaper brand which gives only 12/14. Do you want a dark or a light colour guide. One that doesn't smell - believe me some absolutely stink. Do you care about the ingredients? Parabens or not for instance, alcohol or not, fragrance etc. Not forgetting about how it fades. So lots to think about. Good luck.
Liz
Couldnt agree more :hug:

I found the best way was to have a look for myself.

I got samples from Tantrik, Couture, Sienna X, Vani-T, LA tan, Fake bake, St Tropez, to name a few and tried them all out.

In the end I liked Tantrik, Couture and Suntana, because I thought they had the best natural colour, even fade, nice scents, lasted well, and applied evenly. I went with Suntana because of the cheaper price and am very happy with it (and so are my customers)

I wasn't too keen on fake bake. It's a lot to do with personal choice.

Last edited:
I love Fake Bake and so do my clients but in saying that I tried loads and loads of samples before i decided on it and for Irish skin (very pale and freckly), nothing comes close in my opinion!:D

Latest posts

Back