What to do about staff when salon is closed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spandangle

Reaction score
Hi all! Just a quick question relating to employment.

I'm going to be soon taking on a beauty therapist. What do you do with regards to holidays when your salon is closed?

Eg...im closing for a week over summer for my holidays I wouldn't want to leave them to run the place as I wouldn't trust anyone yet.

Do you still have to pay them or can you ask them to save some of their accrued holidays and use them?

Heeeelp! Xx

You can specify that certain weeks are used for their annual leave. I know it's quite common for some factories to have a summer closedown where all the staff are off at the same time, my ex brother in law used to have a job where he had to take certain weeks in August and December as part of his holiday entitlement.

If I was working in a salon that did this I would be annoyed if I had to use up my holidays.
That is unless it's stated in the contract in which case I'd of known the dates when I'd started the job x

I think employing any member of staff well means negotiation. Negotiate the holidays and the pay and everything else.

I'm afraid if she was my member of staff, I would have her fully booked the whole time I was away bringing in money and keeping my client base happy.

Would you never leave her alone?

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would let her carry on working too, she can keep booking appointments for you for when you get back :) you have to trust your staff there's no point having them if you cant

I left my stylists in the salon for 1 week last summer and in new year which were fine and am braving 2 weeks this August Eek!

Oops pressed send before I had finished. It was nerve wracking but as kahuna said, you have to trust your staff and I couldn't risk closing and potentially losing clients. I knew the weeks I Went were traditionally quiet weeks from the year before (early August and new year) so didn't expect them to be chocka and they were fine. It was nice coming back to some appointments too!
I was in contact via email daily and my dad and sister popped in regularly to check all ok. I'm a bit more worried about this summer as it's mid August when it gets a bit busier as people come back from hols but I'm at a family wedding so can't change my dates. I feel happier knowing my stylist has been left before and all fine. She will prob end up doing a few more hours than she normally does but I will give her the time when I get back in the form of an extra Saturday off which she will be happy with too.
After working 6 day weeks from when I opened it was important to have something to look forward to as I would have crashed and burned otherwise but I Still wish I Was only going for a week this summer. Bit of a change from my college days when I Pretty much got the whole summer off give or take a few days in the office here and there throughout August!

Remember every hour they work accumulates holiday pay , I have one girl who takes holidays and one girl who takes none. She's part time and just gets her holiday pay twice a year instead... It adds up.

Thanks guys! Oh of course id leave them but it just seems very soon, it would be like a month after they start and i was a bit nervous. Maybe ill start them after my may holiday so i dont have to worry

I would put your trust in her and book her out with clients. When you return and you see how hard she's worked for you then give her a nice bonus. It's be great for you to know that she managed just fine.

Latest posts

Back